Rat problem?

Our tenants are having problem with rats?!?! We can't figure out what's attracting them...they are very neat...and garbage is always away in can with lockable lid. Any suggestions?

Humane rat traps are easily the best.
Leave one out at night where ever they are, then drop it into a river the next morning. Empty the corpses, then add new bait the following evening.
Repeat until they're all dead.

Now that's funny!

Get a cat or two.

Rat Knots  It is a bait that they eat. It causs internal bleeding which makes them thirsty, look for water & die. They will not hide in the walls & stink up your house.  You never have to touch the bait due to its' packaging. There is also a Mouse Knots version.  (might have 2 Ts in the name)  Google it.  Very effective, Nursing moms pass it to the baby rats.  Theymay be Palm Rats looking for warmth during this 'cold' spell.  They eat the palm nuts, not coconuts.  Good luck with your Knots.

Tinker, is it safe to use with pets around? We've used that poison with mice in our attic...was effective for several years...and no way our cats could get at it...but, I worry that it might inadvertently kill someone's pet...😕

Behind, under, in & on top of cabinets. If you can find the areas of ingress , can cover with rocks or other impediments for pet access. You Tube has some easy traps to make that are poison free. I like the water bucket one the best. I've never had a problem with pets getting into the Knotts. Rats can squeeze through tiny openings that cats can't get theirh heads in.

planner, a cat only works with mice. these rats in the DR are as big as cats, themselves. i saw a documentary that stated that when a rat gets to a certain size, both he and the cat ignore each other. the rat knows the cat cannot do him any harm, and the cat knows that it is pointless squaring off against that rat.

That is funny..

it makes a lot of sense...i saw a documentary on rats in NYC, and they just strolled by the cats like nothing was happening.

Yes, the Norway species are huge.  I have never seen a really large rat here, just the normal sized ones. A one pound is about the biggest .  There are more rats on earth than humans.An unpleasant thought.  Good luck, kill the suckers!

Thanks I just learned something!

So if cats don't work, will dogs?

Certain types of dogs (terriers for example) can be trained to kill them...we've been contemplating a couple dogs...one big to scare off humans and one small to kill rodents...maybe that's the combination that would work....LOL our tenants have a shiztsu... doesn't bark at rats or Intruders sneaking into the house! So...not that breed... hahahah

I suggested earlier that you look at You Tube. Search rat & mouse traps. If you won't use the baits, save on dog food & buy a 5 gallon bucket & follow the directions.  No muss, no fuss  & no blood,  just some drowned vermin.

If you are going the dog route, I would suggest a dog breed with a high prey instinct.  Rhodesian Ridgeback will chase and kill just about any small rodent.

Including Lions.......  If you can take the energy level, a Jack Russel will do.

@brodies2013

I also have the same rat problem with my tenants, and I'm completely lost. Someone suggested using stoprodent products and poisons, but my tenants have pets, and I'm afraid it could be too risky. Have you managed to get rid of yours? Could you tell me which method you used?1f636.svg

Good morning and welcome to the forums

This thread is 4 years old. You may want to start your own thread and you will get some answefs

Closed