Applying for hungarian residency

good morning. my name is steven. me and my wife mel are currently living in England and we have bought a house in zsibot in hungary. we are going to hungary on the 7th of January to apply for our residency cards and we would like some help if possible? is there anybody who has recently gained residency who would be able to tell us exactly what we need to apply please? we want to gain our residency before brexit takes effect and possibly stops us from moving over in around 2 years. thank you. steven

This is answered under the sticky post "what visa".

For a simple residency permit, see this, it is the official government information source direct link for EEA nationals:

http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?option=co … mp;lang=en

I believe it requires renewal each year or after some few years.

For a permanent residency permit, you have to live in Hungary five years. Thus, what paperwork you may need to do after Brexit may change, depending on the type of exit that occurs. It may be no problem, or may become quite different and it is not impossible your residence status may change and you may have to register later as a third party national, for example. I am just supposing. I have no crystal ball of course.

stevieb123 wrote:

good morning. my name is steven. me and my wife mel are currently living in England and we have bought a house in zsibot in hungary. we are going to hungary on the 7th of January to apply for our residency cards and we would like some help if possible? is there anybody who has recently gained residency who would be able to tell us exactly what we need to apply please? we want to gain our residency before brexit takes effect and possibly stops us from moving over in around 2 years. thank you. steven

As far as I know....

Before Brexit it's the same as it was before - just go to your local registration office and get an address card to say you live there - take your purchase contract, passports and other ID documents just to be sure you have everything. That's the same as any one else from the EU.  You need then to get tax cards and so on.

If the proposed agreement passes in the UK parliament and no referendum etc., then you have until the end of 2020 to complete your formalities and everything continues as before until the interim period expires.  Everything continues as before until then. 

If the interim agreement doesn't pass, then no-one actually knows but it's expected the EU might allow an emergency period of 9 months for stabilising the situation but it's far from sure that would happen.

If the EU decides not to do that 9 month stabilisation period, then simply the UK falls out and all EU rights one might have had disappear at the end of March 2019.  That's an end to EHICs and all that more or less immediately.

It'll become clearer when those part timers known as MPs go back to work on Jan 14th.

It's a pretty dire situation for anyone planning anything.

Zsibot? Wow, that's down in Mordor where Orcs roam freely, bringing misery to the lives of the last of the man who decided to stay there for whatever reason. The young, the bright, the strong have deserted those lands long ago in search of jobs and proper quality of life. If you insist on moving there, you should at least have 2 properly trained (!!) guard dogs, rottweilers or similar, unless you want to see your wife raped and tortured to death. I am only 20% kidding.

atomheart wrote:

Zsibot? Wow, that's down in Mordor where Orcs roam freely, bringing misery to the lives of the last of the man who decided to stay there for whatever reason. The young, the bright, the strong have deserted those lands long ago in search of jobs and proper quality of life. If you insist on moving there, you should at least have 2 properly trained (!!) guard dogs, rottweilers or similar, unless you want to see your wife raped and tortured to death. I am only 20% kidding.

Aren't you confusing Game of Thrones or Vikings with rural Hungary? 

Yes, I know it was Lord of the Rings but that's not as good as either of those shows.  Who in their right mind would have a you know what as the eye of Sauron?   

Zsibot is a place where those banished or unemployable anywhere needs to be.  It's East of Pecs which is not even close to Mordor, that's way beyond the wall without the ski resorts or ice and snow or even apres-ski other than homemade palinka. 

I'll concede the very high probability of Orcs or similar thereabouts.

atomheart wrote:

Zsibot? Wow,

I have seen too many such OP posts about buying property in out of the way places that I gave up with my own "Wows" some time ago....

In all cases, one can find a real estate web site in English, and inexpensive properties for the place where an OP buys. It seems only a foreign buyer, who thinks the property has a cheap price tag, can be convinced to buy in such locations as a place to actually live, full time.

I don't think most foreign buyers really consider/know/appreciate/understand the daily realities of where they will be, or what they are actually buying into beyond the property.

klsallee wrote:
atomheart wrote:

Zsibot? Wow,

I have seen too many such OP posts about buying property in out of the way places that I gave up with my own "Wows" some time ago....

In all cases, one can find a real estate web site in English, and inexpensive properties for the place where an OP buys. It seems only a foreign buyer, who thinks the property has a cheap price tag, can be convinced to buy in such locations as a place to actually live, full time.

I don't think most foreign buyers really consider/know/appreciate/understand the daily realities of where they will be, or what they are actually buying into beyond the property.

I second that.

It's only the same as everywhere else. If you want to live in a village in Siberia, it's cheap to buy property but you want to live in Paris, it's expensive.  You can sell the place in Paris but you'd never sell in Siberia except for a pittance.

Location location location.

Zsibot I've no idea, but I can imagine it might as well be on the moon. I know others live in places like that out in the sticks but they might have special reasons for it - family connections or work related.  But for easy access to higher quality services, they are all in the main cities.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Thought it was a good analogy. :D

Rural Hungary is dead, except around BP, 2-3 cities and a few tourism hotspots. This chart gives a good estimation of the orc infestation in the country, it inversely correlates with property prices: https://alfahir.hu/sites/default/files/ … ge-001.jpg

atomheart wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Thought it was a good analogy. :D

Rural Hungary is dead, except around BP, 2-3 cities and a few tourism hotspots. This chart gives a good estimation of the orc infestation in the country, it inversely correlates with property prices: https://alfahir.hu/sites/default/files/ … ge-001.jpg

I take it back, it's a perfect analogy.

Even though it might be perceived as somewhat racist or perhaps better, orcist. 

I've never been convinced Roma are a different race anyway.  It's always looked like cultural differences.

But yes, dead as a dodo outside of the main centres.  Some places are even deader than a dead dodo can be.  Extra dead.  Dead with spots on.

Despite all these negative comments Zsibot lies close to Szigitvár a nice town with an excellent spa and loads of history. You are close to both the beautiful Mecsek hills and the very attractive vibrant city of Pécs. You have to pick through the Budapest/Balaton centric views....but both Budapest by motorway and train and Balaton are not far away. Slovenia and Austria also only a short distance away.
Enjoy!

croftg wrote:

Despite all these negative comments

Everyone is entitled to their opinon.

But, do note that all those with what you call "negative" comments actually live in Hungary. You don't. So maybe, just possibly, there is also some experience and reality in those comments. Not just "ideologies".

Such as:

croftg wrote:

Zsibot lies close to Szigitvár a nice town with an excellent spa and loads of history. You are close to both the beautiful Mecsek hills and the very attractive vibrant city of Pécs.

True.... But what part of Hungary does not have loads of local history? Or any part of Europe, or any part of the entire planet for that matter.

Spas... Well, sure, if one is into spas. But there are better places in Hungary for spas. This is not the "best place".

And so on. Thus, my point is, you are sounding like a travel brochure. Which is great. For tourists. But if one lives here... Well, it is different. If one wants to move to a place, how many times can one go and see the local history of Szigitvár in a few decades of living here. Seriously. Think about that.

croftg wrote:

but both Budapest by motorway and train and Balaton are not far away. Slovenia and Austria also only a short distance away.

Well, Hungary is a small country. You can cross it in a day. But it will still take hours to get to many various locations from South-Western Hungary. Instead of simple platitudes of "only a short distance away", how about giving links to the bus and train web sites so one can actually see for themselves about actual travel times? Such as:

https://menetrendek.hu/

If one has a car, there are plenty of options. Simply search for "driving time between" and list your start and end points.

klsallee wrote:

True.... But what part of Hungary does not have loads of local history? Or any part of Europe, or any part of the entire planet for that matter.

Spas... Well, sure, if one is into spas. But there are better places in Hungary for spas. This is not the "best place".

And so on. Thus, my point is, you are sounding like a travel brochure. Which is great. For tourists. But if one lives here... Well, it is different. If one wants to move to a place, how many times can one go and see the local history of Szigitvár in a few decades of living here. Seriously. Think about that.

croftg wrote:

but both Budapest by motorway and train and Balaton are not far away. Slovenia and Austria also only a short distance away.

Well, Hungary is a small country. You can cross it in a day. But it will still take hours to get to many various locations from South-Western Hungary. ....

If one has a car, there are plenty of options. Simply search for "driving time between" and list your start and end points.

I reckon the same.  I've been all over the world including being in the middle of nowhere and it looks nice and interesting but if you want practical services, it takes ages to get there and back. Imagine needing medical help.  In older age, it's a real problem.   I also lived in a mountainous area and it was 20km by road to get anything unusual if you could get it at all.  Sure, there were local shops but limited in what it stocked at higher prices.    The best thing in one's later years is to live in the periphery of a large town or city with public transport available, preferably at least two types - local bus and train for further afield. 

Now i will be controversial - as for history, I'm not actually that impressed. It seems when you can get back as far as the Romans, it fizzles out.  Even the Roman ruins are not that great.  I think they must have been raided by locals who stole all the materials to build their houses.   Sure there are some nice castles but they aren't really that old. 

Other places have 5000 year old stone circles, burial mounds and some really ancient monuments like Roman villas or castles or stately homes that are so much better looked after. 

I know other countries have these things but they seem to be few and far between here.

I also live near  Pécs and do know  what I am writing about!

croftg wrote:

How often do you go to Slovenia or Austria?

Quite often...and of course Croatia which is even nearer!

croftg wrote:

Quite often...and of course Croatia which is even nearer!

Once a week, once a month, every 6 months?

croftg wrote:

You live full time in Pécs? You have Hungarian residency? For how long? I ask because your profile says you would like to move to Hungary. Maybe your profile needs to be updated then.  :cool:

And living in Pécs is not exactly the same as living in a little village. No matter how close that little village is to Pécs. So you may know exactly what you are talking about.... for those living in Pécs.

I live in a little village. It is a different world in many ways. You have to live in one to understand. But issues like fluffy2560 mentioned, especially medial topics, can matter as one gets older. And, more important..... our local pub closed some years ago. And Hungary has a zero blood alcohol driving limit, and the buses stop at 7:00 PM. Problems. Problems one does not encounter much in Pécs....

fluffy2560 wrote:

you can get back as far as the Romans, it fizzles out.

There are some Roman ruins nearby where I live. There are even sometimes mentioned in some tourist brochures. Part of some ancient wall, supposedly.

I love History. Travel to see ruins. Walked 8 hours once in a desert to see some Petroglyphs. So I went to see the Roman ruins. Seriously..... it looked like a bit of rubble sticking out of the ground. Disappointing.

My father in law found a Roman coin on his property once. Now that was actually more interesting than the stone wall. :)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

you can get back as far as the Romans, it fizzles out.

There are some Roman ruins nearby where I live. There are even sometimes mentioned in some tourist brochures. Part of some ancient wall, supposedly.

I love History. Travel to see ruins. Walked 8 hours once in a desert to see some Petroglyphs. So I went to see the Roman ruins. Seriously..... it looked like a bit of rubble sticking out of the ground. Disappointing.

My father in law found a Roman coin on his property once. Now that was actually more interesting than the stone wall. :)

I suppose we're spoilt in the UK for tumuli (burial mounds), stone circles, roman ruins, ancient sites and stately homes. Moreover, these places are very throughly looked after and very well supported.  I don't get the same feeling here. I find the Austro-Hungarian places a bit naff as they aren't that old and look quite austere inside.  Not like the Sistine Chapel or similar.  I expect more.

We found a couple of Nazi era coins in our garden, complete with swastikas.  Not quite as good as Roman coins. I'll have to try and find them as I put them away for safe keeping and now we don't know where they are.  Really very safe indeed.

We're relatively close to a large German-Hungarian war cemetery and around these hills some serious WW2 fighting took place.  Perhaps the houses in this area was used as billets for the Germans or simply there was fighting here.

I live in a little village near Pécs!

croftg wrote:

Ok but how often do you go to Slovenia and Austria?

Pecs is like the Hungarian Graz.   All the weird things go on in Graz as they do in Pécs.

croftg wrote:

I know you're new but how about instead of one liners take time to write more and introduce yourself more, and in depth. We understand you live in a small village near Pécs. Are you working here or retired?

croftg wrote:

How far from Pécs? In kilometers.

Not asking the village name (I respect personal security), but distance matters. Just so we all know the facts of course and can properly place them.

And I see you updated your profile. But it says you live in Pécs... Not near Pécs but in Pécs. I trust you understand why people are a little confused about exactly where you live.

And by live..... you mean you have Hungarian residency.... Right? I ask since you did not yet clarify that point yet.  ;)