Teaching in Italy as a primary teacher.

Dear all,

I am a fully qualified and experienced primary teacher. I am thinking of leaving London and relocate to Italy. I read in other forums that the pay, regardless of your teaching experience, is bad. Bad compared to the salary you get in London or bad for the cost of living? I mean, I don't mind earning much less, but I don't want to be poorer; if I earn 40% less but I can afford a flat as good as the one I have in London and can save the same amount of money it is fine. Here in London I am already earning  almost £2200 per month and my wife (a teacher in a secondary school) much more than me. With this pay , having a little son, we don't have a Luxury life and live in a small flat. However, we don't have any financial concerns. The worst thing is the insane workload: that is really putting me off. I hear that if I was teaching in Italy I would not be working from 7am till 7 pm . I even work a few hours on weekends and when I am on holiday there's work to do, too. I grew up in Italy and I miss certain aspects of the “Italian life style'. Most of my family lives there. Thank you in advance for your help.

Daniel

My friendly suggestion is forget about it.
My dad was a High School Teacher.
At his funeral not a  colleague, not even a student was there after only 5 years that he went on pension.
This after all the time, the care, the passion that he put into teaching.
In almost all of main cities of Italy, especially in those in the Northern part, you should literally go live in a peripheral area of the city and then you would have the problem of having a car that when it breaks you are gonna swear in all possible languages.
In Italy due to the lack of a proper transportation system you must have a car even to go buy groceries at the mall because it's cheaper. In Italy they have started to place the malls outside of the city, near the ring road.
With a high school teacher salary you are gonna be living better in the South rather than in the North, but still all of the above considerations apply.
Your days will be eaten by students that do not want to study anything, students with influent parents that will complain in front of the headmaster because their children got bad marks and you will get a scold because you don't know anyone as influent as they are. On top of that you will end up being mobbed by your colleagues as well.

One more thing that I did not consider is that to become teacher there is nowadays a very long waiting list and some people become effective full time teachers just before reaching the pension. My dad started teaching in the '50 so he got a good contract after all. You will get also a very bad contract compared to what it was before.

My second friendly suggestion is find another job and stay in the UK.

What Deviad said.
You'd get from the rain in the eaves.
Janin

Thank you for your reply. How do you know that the situation is that grim? How much could one hope to get per month? After tax. Because in most small towns in the north of Italy 1500 euros is the equivalent (In terms of the cost of living) of £2200 in London.

Thank you for your answer. SO you are sure that a teacher is better off in London with £2200 than in a rather small town in Italy with 1400 euros? I don't even know how much I would be payed. Nobody tells me how much I am likely to be payed. For sure, I would never live in a town like Bologna for less than 1500 euros per month (net). Maybe I could accept 1400 in a smaller town like Verona. In Milan (I will never work in Milan, I want to live in a much smaller town) I would ask for at least 1800 euros (that's a very expensive city). I think that even 1400 could be enough if my school day ends at 5 pm. In that case I could have the time to do some tuitions and earn some extra 200/300 euros per month.  Anyway, I am going to have a couple of Skype interviews and if the offer is not fair I will just say NO.

D

Sorry to bother you again. What is a good country to teach in Europe outside the UK? I am talking about British and international schools.

D

Well, the thing with Italy is that salaries are the same in the public sector and also in some cases in the private sector through the whole country.
There's something called National Collective Work Contract which establishes what is the minimal wage for every category and it doesn't take into account different inflation amongst the different areas of the country.
In Bari, in a residential area, a 50 m^2 flat is gonna cost you 550 - 600 eur/month + utility bills and the condo maintenance fees (50 - 60 eur/month).
Gas doesn't come every month and you are gonna pay like 350 eur for gas (cooking and warming)  in winter every 3 months. The electric bill 75 eur/month comes every 2 months (so it's 150 eur every two months. Food, groceries, cleaning products for the house and personal hygiene for 3 people if you always look for discounts and know by memory all the places where you saw discounts over the week is like 400 - 500 eur/month.
If your sink gets broken and you need a plumber, that's probably 100 eur (50 eur for the call and 50 eur for the first hour after the first 30 minutes) :)
So in order to also have money to buy clothes, etc. you are gonna need a second job if you are all by yourself and therefore you are gonna reach the same amount of working hours per day.

Prices are from 6 years ago.

Good luck. :)

For International schools, use Google to search for International Schools, then the name of the capital city of the country you are looking for.

I see. But if you and your wife both have a teaching job and you do some tuitions on top of that you may survive quite decently. I notice that clothing and often food are more expensive in the north of Italy than in London. But in a town like Verona, unless you like in the best street in the ancient city centre, it seems that the rent is 1/4 cheaper than in London. That's quite good. So, if you earn 30% less and spend 30% less you may enjoy the same level of wealth (I mean two teachers in London and 2 teachers in Verona). Maybe I am overly positive. A two bedroom flat in a run down flat in zone 3 in London is around £1400/1600. In Verona, just minutes from the city centre, it's 600/700 Euro's.