Buy a retirement property in Panama or Brazil?

I am still on planning phase, but been Brazilian and living in NYC for the past 26 yrs! I wonder, should I go to Panama or Brazil for retirement?
I will live my son in USA as he is an american born, he will b out of college and working when I move. So Panama has a 1 advantage being closer to the USA.
Anything else?
Thanks.
Luiz

Panama has nice immigration visas and a pro-business environment for Expats.  And, Boquete continues to be ranked highly on the best places to retire lists!

i know nothing about brazil ,, figure it cost a lot more to fly back and forth ,, retied in panama 17 years so know well the advantages of living here ,, good luck

Thanks for the information.
How is the year round weather in Boquete?
Also, how far are you from a nice sunny beach?
Thank you for any input.
Luiz

Closest beach to Boquete https://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/201 … ta-beach/. Lots love Boquete weather. It's too cold for me most of the time.

when i moved here i weighed in at 186 and my knees were bad ,, now at 149 and spend an hour most days walking or on the treadmill ,, i stayed in boquette a week i had to live on celebrex " pain reliever " was damp and cold early morning ,, was foggy everyday iwas there ,, i could not live there ,, but it is hot and humid wher i live now but cool at night ,, i have become acclimated to the conditions here but have friends that go from air conditioned  house to car and cannot sleep at night with out it ,, there are 10 rooms in my house and 8 ceiling fans ,, sup[er insulated and big windows ,, i have 3 air conditioners that have not been on a dozen times since i moved into this house 5 years ago ,, my place in the country near lake gatun is down right chilly at night

As per comments from here and other forums, I see that Bouquete may not be a very pleasant place to buy a property. It looks like it is very humid and rainy.

I am arriving in Panama in another 2.5 weeks, I am excited to go see all these places.
Not knowing Panama, and after 3 months of researching, I assume that the best areas so far are:
Coronado, Pedasi, Boca and Puerto Armuelles. Is this a correct assumption?

Please keep new information coming, so I can decide where to spend more time searching for a place.

Thank you all and a VERY HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL 2019 to ALL.

actually i prefer the area around the lake gatun in the arenosa cerro cama area ,, is only 21 miles to the carribean so you get year round cool breezes and not the storms associated with the pacific ,, proery can be had cheaper than other areas and great shopping in la chorrerra

Thanks for the reply,
Is it right that the Caribbean side rains less and it is cooler than the pacific?
Should I go visit that area?
What should I avoid visiting, as I only have 5 days and will be driving around in that week.

My plan is...but can be xhanged...
Arrive in PTY, druve to Coronada, Pedasi, Boca, Puerto Armuelles. Should  I pursue that plan, add the Caribbean?

Thanks a lot.
Luiz

No use buying in Panama:  1.  Thirty percent you will get ripped off big-time and 2.  rents are low and there is a huge inventory of rental properties.  You have a huge amount of negotiating power.  Brazil's beaches are so much nicer anyway, no comparison.

I would have to agree with Tough1......Definately do NOT be in a hurry to buy......Things, including most properties have gotten very expensive in Panama. Its catching up fast to Costa Rica......No difference really between Panama City and San Jose........Come visit, cruise around, enjoy the incredible geography and diverse climates.......and if you choose to stay, find a place you like and rent for at least 6 months to a year.......And then see how you feel about it.......Im looking for a caretaker now so that I can head back to Colombia for another test drive........

Columbia?

Columbia?

Columbia no.......Colombia...........

We are planning a move to Panama later this year. We have purchased real estate for investment in Panama City - or possibly to live there. Medellin is calling to me. I have not been there, but have heard wonderful things and enjoyed the many people I have met from Colombia. I want to go to see for myself.
Why do you say NO COLOMBIA?

Read it again! Not no to Colombia......no Columbia.......Colombia is not spelled with a u.......its a common mistake people make, especially from the U.S.    I would take Medellin over Panama City in a heartbeat.....But there are some downsides.......like air pollution.......In Panama City there is a lot of smoke and fumes at ground level but the sea breezes sweep any major air pollution away.......but apart from this factor, Medellin a a far nicer and more human city......a more civil and better managed city........and much cheaper.....Panama City is a greed factory..........Becuz its a global port, (which has advantages) the only culturally common denominator is commerce........buying and selling......there is really not much goin on there outside of commercial activity......Ok, they built the Cinta Costera.......that is at least something......

Thanks DUMLUK!

That's kind of what my sense of Medellin is - a vibrant home of history and culture. Right now, it's just a fantasy. I am excited about visiting when we get down there. The biggest draw for me is the temperate climate - 75 degrees all year long. I am finished with the cold and snow in Colorado. We have a great life here and I love the seasons, but enough is enough.

Perhaps our paths will cross in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

Con mucho gusto........para servirle......

Panama real estate higher than the USA. I had 3/2 w yard and pool on Fl sold for $190k  when I came in 10/2018.  I can't afford to buy here. It has become ridiculous. The city has so many empty apts in the new high rises. They can't sell them.  My apt I'm renting from I found out sells for $359k. Total insanity for all you get plus location etc.  What happened Panama ?

An enormous bubble..........and any minute the slightest little change in air pressure will prick that bubble.........Horrible, terrible management here now in Panama......and has been for quite some time.......But hey, you could  say the same thing about the good ole U.S. of A.............Basically the fat cats who run this country are Americans, for all practical purposes........Brought up in bi lingual schools, educated in American universities.......members of local Masonic clubs, etc, etc.........They play the same game here.........

But there are plenty deals.....You just have to get off the beaten track....Not many people willing to do that....Herd mentality....They gotta be where evrybody else already is.........

I made the first move- sold all and flew here. In time I will venture through out.  I know there are areas are cheaper - but I don't want to live in the side of a volcano or far from people.  I want small beach living, maybe puerto armuelles but will have to drive out.

naturally i prefer panama to all but i have lived here 17 years and have bought and sold many properties and understand the system , married to a panamanian has its advantages of course and having got the pensianado visa before i ever moved here is a main plus ,, i now have a cedula for here and colombia ,, both have their advantages ,, i have many friends in cr col and pan ,, if you want to live cheapely in panama avoid the city and coronado area ,,  hyped naturally ,, i lived in rural panama for 7 years near lake gatun a fisherman paradise ,, you can buy a 5,000 meter garden paradise for 160,000 with income potential 5 minutes from lake gatun ,, local veggies and meat and fish are cheap you know where to buy them ,, same with clinics etc.

right about the city ,, i lived in the city 2 years bought and built in the country you can still buy cheap if you want country living ,, i now live in chorerra and love it ,, i can find everything here you can get in the sity but maintain a farm in the country i am going to sell soon ..

395,000  for apartment for apartments in panama ???  but every apartment in panama city in that price range there is a 100 apartments under 150,000 dont know where you are shopping ???