Wheelchair accessibility question

I am considering relocating to panama but need to know how accessible the country is in general, if there are locations better than others or if it is just too difficult, etc.

Key areas of concern are restaurants, churches, government buildings, entertainment locations, parks, streets and intersections, condos, etc.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, preferably from someone living there and even more so if you use a wheelchair as well.

Hi potentialmover,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will give you info and advice on the accessibility on places in Panama.

All the best,
Christine

Anyone with some feedback here, surely there is someone who is currently living in Panama that has observed the accessibility for a wheelchair bound person.

I am disabled and living in Panama.  I have a wheelchair, but am able to walk short distances with a cane.

It is very different for disabled people in Panama vs. the US.  Bring your disabled parking placard; there is usually disabled parking wherever you go.  Sadly, that's where the convenience ends.

The curbs are not ramped; I have not found one set of electronic doors.  I have a service dog who in the US was allowed to accompany me wherever I went; not the case here.  Service dogs really don't exist in Panama.

It is a beautiful country.  Most  people are kind and friendly,  But it will definitely more difficult for a chair-bound person here.  I have a "scooter" that I used for mobility beyond a few hundred feet when still in the US.  It is of no use here because of no ramps at curbs, and traffic is heavy (in P City).  I cross 6 lanes of traffic each morning to take my dog to a park for exercise; many drivers are compassionate & stop for us, but a sizable number are rude and whiz by dangerously close while we cross the street.  Unless you have someone with you, I would be concerned crossing most streets in the City.  Remote parts of the country have much less traffic, but also much less "civilization."

We looked at Boquete and Coronado area.  Both lovely, but are too far from "civilization" for us, and both would be even more difficult for a disabled person, in my opinion, in part due to less paved roads in many parts.

On the plus side, there are plenty of taxis and the fare is inexpensive.  Further, help is comparatively inexpensive.  I suspect that a "helper"  could be hired for a very reasonable amount.  For ex., a live-in maid costs $200 to $250/month.

Many great parks in P City which are wonderful for a disabled person once you're there, but can be challenging to get to them, unless you have help.

Marvelous restaurants/entertainment, etc. in the City; but no special accommodation for disabled folk.  I manage because I can walk short distances, but would not be able to frequent some of the places we enjoy if I could not climb stairs.  Some places have ramps/elevators; most do not.

Before making the commitment to living here, a disabled person should DEFINITELY VISIT FIRST to make certain you will be able to enjoy life.  Some disabled people are well up to the challenge, but some would not be.  I am a retired psychologist, hence I know well how true this is.

Good luck.  If you have any further question I could help with, let me know...

DrHank

Hello DrHank!

Thank you for this very helpful contribution!

Regards
Armand

You're welcome, Armand.

Fact is, I will be leaving Panama to return to the US next month, in part due to further deterioration of my right leg which will ultimately lead to my being more dependent upon a wheelchair, and as I wrote to you, Panama is far more difficult for a disabled person than the US.  I don't want to be living in Panama when the time comes for me to be fully dependent upon a wheelchair.

The ADA laws that were passed in the 90's in the US have truly helped dsabled people; I wish the rest of the world would follow suit in this regard.

Good luck!

DrHank