Better cities to live in.

What are some of the better cities to live in. Affordable housing or apartments, easy to get around town.

city living i like chitre better than most   david is so hot,  el valle is isolated and for strict retirement ,, boquete is so over rated damp and cold some times ,,

I am an 81-year-old Australian (female) that has been stuck in Costa Rica since March last year because the Australian government has kept the border closed even for returning Australians. I have to return via the US, but the fares for returning Australians have been US$15,000 plus (for Executive- or First-class seats - no Economy available because the number of returnees has been capped at 30 per flight). So, with my CR visa just expired again, I am going to do some tripping around in Panama, starting on Dec.13, and I just might decide to live there - if I can find a good place.  I agree with you that David (although a very authentic Panamanian city) is too hot. I studied Spanish for six weeks, in Boquete, six years ago, and I have recently been back there. I don't like it now: wall to wall souvenir shops, and places selling tours. For my December trip, would Chitre be a less-touristy place, and is it a good place for swimming? I've been to Santa Fe and it's a nice quiet place (in a lovely setting) but, like El Valle, it's too remote and there's not much there. For someone who is a good swimmer (not surfer), do you have any recommendations for nice places to spend time, during December? How about Pedasi? I haven't been there, but my understanding is that it's become a bit trendy, with expensive condos at the beach areas (with no beaches actually in Pedasi). I'd like to spend a few days, even a week, at nice quiet places where I can swim in the sea, or in a clean river. I can speak Spanish reasonably well, so I don't need to be where English is commonly spoken.

There aren't beaches in Chitre,  There are some nearby but you'd have to drive a bit. Las Tablas is closer to beaches and full of Panamanian culture. Pedasi is more of a tourist and expat destination but it might be worth a look. All three might be a bit hotter than you like though.  Or, maybe you would like Bocas del Toro. It's also touristy but the water and islands are really beautiful, and swimming in the Caribbean water is a pleasure. But again, anything at sea level and near beaches is going to be hot.

merrallg wrote:

I am an 81-year-old Australian (female) that has been stuck in Costa Rica since March last year because the Australian government has kept the border closed even for returning Australians. I have to return via the US, but the fares for returning Australians have been US$15,000 plus (for Executive- or First-class seats - no Economy available because the number of returnees has been capped at 30 per flight). So, with my CR visa just expired again, I am going to do some tripping around in Panama, starting on Dec.13, and I just might decide to live there - if I can find a good place.  I agree with you that David (although a very authentic Panamanian city) is too hot. I studied Spanish for six weeks, in Boquete, six years ago, and I have recently been back there. I don't like it now: wall to wall souvenir shops, and places selling tours. For my December trip, would Chitre be a less-touristy place, and is it a good place for swimming? I've been to Santa Fe and it's a nice quiet place (in a lovely setting) but, like El Valle, it's too remote and there's not much there. For someone who is a good swimmer (not surfer), do you have any recommendations for nice places to spend time, during December? How about Pedasi? I haven't been there, but my understanding is that it's become a bit trendy, with expensive condos at the beach areas (with no beaches actually in Pedasi). I'd like to spend a few days, even a week, at nice quiet places where I can swim in the sea, or in a clean river. I can speak Spanish reasonably well, so I don't need to be where English is commonly spoken.

That's like asking, what's the best thing to eat for dinner. It's hard to answer without knowing what you want and like. As for affordable, avoid Panama City and areas full of expats, which tend to be more expensive.

tanker1464 wrote:

What are some of the better cities to live in. Affordable housing or apartments, easy to get around town.

Thanks kristc99. I have always avoided going to Bocas, although I've been to Panama several times. Although I am now an 81-year-old backpacker, I've always dreaded the raging backpacker scene in Bocas. But perhaps, at the moment, it's not inundated with backpackers and I should go there during my coming trip.

But Las Tablas sounds like a good place for me to have a look at. I can speak Spanish fairly well, so I would prefer (during my forthcoming trip) to be where I can keep practising my Spanish, rather than chatting with expats or tourists.

However, if I decided to live in Panama (which is possible), it would be good to locate where there are plenty of expats around, to make some friends and get involved with activity groups. Which places do you think are the best places to be living, where the expat community is active for arranging activities and get-togethers.

I know that, in the Boquete area, there are hordes of expats, but they mostly live in self-contained gated communities in the surrounding hills. That's a negative about Boquete because the expats don't live downtown, in a way that they can be somewhat integrated with the Boquete community. On the other hand, I know (from having spent hours listening to expat conversations at 'Sugar and Spice') that there are several expat activities going on: such as fund-raising for local schools, with book sales at the excellent library there (which I think expats helped with the funding to get built).

But, likewise (at 'Sugar and Spice'), I have heard conversations from departing expats because of power struggles within the main community groups. It seems that some would-be expats are drawn to Boquete because they can buy into 'safe' gated communities, and expect to have lots of English-speaking friends, with not much need to learn Spanish. But they get disenchanted when they join groups, only to find that there are 'owners' of those groups who want to control everyone. So they leave Boquete, and go 'home' to wherever home is - usually the US.

If I decided to live in Panama, I would want to be where I can make friends with Spanish-speaking neighbours, not be stashed away in a gated community of expats - although I'd like to make friends with some expats too. So it would be good to get advice about places where there are friendly expat groups that get along well with each other - as well as getting somewhat integrated into the local Panamanian community.

the town of cerro cama an hour from the city and arenosa actually on the lake are small safe towns , cooler because they are on the carribean side of the great divide have local stores and some expats living in nthe area ,, buses and chivas run constantly so can move in and out of chorerra where i live . is a great area if you want country living , i hate panama city as i lived there 2 years before moving out of the black soot from traffic

Thanks for your posting. I am working towards moving to. Panama later this year. I have heard boquete is the best place to live. I do not want to live very close to the beach as I am not a beach person. Is there any other area you might be able to tell me about. I am very serious about moving but want to be sure I pick the right place. Thanks

@merrallg

I agree with you on experiencing the culture and not being in a gated community

id like to glean from your knowledge

@merrallg  I just returned from Bocas and can honestly say it is not for me.  I never felt comfortable or safe and was very happy to leave.  I am headed to Pedasi in February and, in April, will be going on a relocation tour.  I have lived in Panama for six months now and work here.  I love the country and the diverse environments and want to see as many places as possible.  I am a beach lover but will explore other areas as well.  San Blas is beautiful but getting there is a nightmare.  Anton was nice and comfortable and not far from the city.  There are lots of rivers and beautiful waterfalls which keeps it cooler than beach areas.  I have also visited San Carlos which was nice but also a beach town.  My home is in Brisas Del Golf in a gated community.  I appreciate the sense of safety especially when you first move here and are not familiar with the area.  I don't know Spanish but am slowly learning so that has been one of the hardships. 

Star