Living in Panama

Thinking seriously about moving to Panama. Coming in September to check things out. Any suggestions, locations etc.?
@sheilakfindley

We bought property in Torio, Panama.  We love it.  Checked out many different countries and we could not beat the view or the price.  We have islands in front of us and jungles behind us with trails and waterfalls.  The area is for people who like nature not the city life.
That sounds like us. Not the city type. Love the water.
Look into Torio Hills.  It is up and coming.  They just finished redoing the road to get there.  If you want contacts let me know.  We are going back to Torio in June for a week.

@Outdoorgirl1027   I am very interested to hear from someone that has your current experience. Please add me to your list. Thanks Randy Sexton

Yes contacts would be good. Have you been to Pedasi?

What is internet like there? And would a single female have a social life? I live in Boquete now, but really want to be on the water.

@bonhopper bagoutevis a nice place

@sheilakfindley if you like to be in the city and at the same time have some sort of nature around i would recommend albrook.

I enjoy motorcycling. Is one area better than others for motorcycling? Thanks all.

Coming to Panama in February. My husband and I would like to travel to several areas.  Is it easy to rent a car?

Very easy! I just did it for 2 weeks earlier this month. Rental car rates are very affordable in Panama, it's the insurance that makes it costly.  Make sure you use a reputable company. You will be required to purchase Panamanian liability insurance. (Your credit card coverage and/or personal insurance are not acceptable substitutes).  If you can afford it, I would highly recommend purchasing the damage waiver insurance as well.. then you won't need to leave a large deposit (depending upon the company and the contract it can be $1000 or higher!); and you will also have the peace of mind of not worrying about dealing with payment for any damage to the vehicle (not matter how minor it may be).  Take photos and/or videos of the vehicle before driving it off the lot.

@bayguy55

Hi, just wondering if you've heard of or done the Panamá relocation tour with Jackie Lange? We are thinking of doing that but also could just do it ourselves. What are your ideas in that please?  Thanks!

Robin

@torynico

I have just signed up for the tour in April.  It sells out fast and there are not many available dates until Spring.  I know I don't want to drive all over so this is the easiest way for me to get to know Panama.  I would love to hear from anyone who has gone on this trip.  The emails I have received so far from others who have gone, have nothing but great things to say.

Star

@sheilakfindley

Sheila,

Panama is a good choice of country.  If you like the city life like New York City, Panama City is a great city. The foods not as good as NYC but what city is? It's safer though. Big police presence. If you like the beach life instead Playa Coronado is the jewel in the crown of beach cities. A little over an hour outside of Panama City. I have a fruend who owns land on Lake Gatun ( about an jour 15 minutes from P City). He is selling parcels to build off the grid houses. We call it The Jungle out there because it's so close to nature. Lastly, you could look at Boquete if you'd rather live in the mountains.

@torynico so far no, though I have certainly availed myself of some of her content including live streams on YouTube; some of it I have found very helpful. I have a friend that recently booked a few Private Tours to select  areas and had nothing but positive things to say about the experience and the guidance he received..  I have considered purchasing the online handbook but given it's expense ($595!), will wait a bit before making that decision.

@ssmith338

thanks for the input! We have ours booked for January! Will let you know our thoughts afterwards. I'm thinking it's probably the best choice to get a chance to see lots of the different places/ climates/expats too. We've just never done a tour before like this so a little hesitant but as you say there are such great reviews and videos about it, just have to have an open mind!

@jimig I appreciated reading your post about living in Panama. I think that I would like to live as an expat in Panama - and have researched the cultures of towns & their expat communities. Since I am a back-to-nature type and not into big cities or condominiums, I have focused on Pedasi (for beach living) or Boquete (for mountain/rainforest living).

I am interested in all your recommendations on where to live in Panama. I wonder why you did not mention Pedasi, though -- Is it just that it is a much smaller expat community and less apt to attract expats -- or is there some other reason? So far, I have been disappointed that my posts about Pedasi have not been answered and I am thinking it must be quite a small expat population there. I did find some wonderful facebook articles from an expat living there, but that was from 6 years ago.

I am planning a 2 week stay in Pedasi (November - December)  and will try to meet expats while there. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kathy

Can you easily see  a job in panama as expat

@solamich112 I am sure it depends on your area of expertise and what you are looking for, but I moved here because I was offered a good position.  Star