Delta hospital or St.Michele clinique Europa

Hi,

I live almost in same distance from both the mentioned hospitals - delta hospital and st.michele hospital in Etterbeek. I want to know which one to choose among these 2 for regular Gynaecology check ups as well as for the final arrival of baby ( normal and natural way hopefully no complications to go for a csection. Fingers crossed). So far i have been to only the pre natal checkup in st.michele and i have no complaints. Just because i found a family doctor recently near my home and she gave me a gynaec reference at delta, i came to know about this new hospital. So my confusion for choosing the next appointment and full pregnancy consultation has started. I have to choose one of the two. Not sure whether it makes any difference but i have partena and dkv basic cover.

Please share your personal experiences and feedback from your own circles on these 2 hospitals in Etterbeek. Thanks a ton for the help.

Cheers!

For your information, Delta hospital is the CHIREC group

Hi,

If you want to be really secure, go to https://www.huderf.be

St Michel is another private hospital, part of Cliniques de l'Europe group. DELTA is not in Etterbeek, it's in Auderghem.

I'd choose neither of these hospitals. I'd go for IRIS Ixelles-Etterbeek, all rooms at public prices and all are single ones too. It has a superb reputation for giving birth.

HUDERF is a children's hospital, not for giving birth at.

Thank you for your response. Are IRIS staff and doctors comfortable to communicate in english language? When you say public prices for rooms, can you say how much difference would it make compared to private hospitals? I have basic partena and basic dkv. Do you know how much i may have to spend outside insurance coverage in a public hospital as well as a private hospital?

There is Partena and Partenamut, check which one you are member of.

Choose Ixelles-Etterbeek and you'll be paying virtually nothing, a few 100 euro. Choose Delta and St Michel in the equivalent single room, even in a shared room, you could be looking at DKV refusing to cover you and you could end up with a bill more into the 1000s.

Yes all hospitals in Brussels are used to English speakers, just as likely to find English speaking medical staff at Ixelles-Etterbeek as Delta or St Michel.

Okay...Mine is Partenamut

Hello Kavind,

Just new on the forum and probably late. I can't speak for Delta or Chirec but I can say that St-Michel is good.
I delivered with Dr Delbar. It was my second pregnancy and I have to say that things went much smoother than for the first in Paris.
I had no complaints at all about the doctor or hospital.
Level of care for me and our baby seemed good and I felt safe.

I wish you all the best for your pregnancy.

Thank you for your kind response and wishes. I am at present seeing a very good gynaecologist at Delta / Chirec. We are satisfied with her. Looking forward to the delivery in few months. I shall post my experience in the forum for the benefit of all once I am all done and settled with my little one. Cheers.

Be prepared that you will be landed with a considerable bill for Delta, even with DKV or other private insurances. Bills over 10k are not unusual.

Oh no - you mean 10K even after the DKV? This means I will end up without being able to pay 😀. 

I have no idea. This is one of the topics I have kept to clarify during my next appointment.

I had already written above.

If you want a near 0 bill, go with Ixelles-Etterbeek.

If you want a large large bill,  go with Delta.

You need to clarify BEFORE even going once to Delta exactyl what DKV will and will not cover.

Whilst 10k would be a private room and complications, it might end up as YOU.

Delta is the most expensive hospital in Belgium.

Ixelles-Etterbeek is all single rooms. It also has a great reputation for deliveries.

Here is a recent news report about Delta in particular.

https://plus.lesoir.be/193874/article/2 … -plus-cher

Hello : Update: delivered in delta audherghum in august 2019. Had a good experience. Hospital did Direct billing with DKV. After few months received one part of the bill from Dkv which was for partners bed etc in my private room which was not covered. It was around 200 eur which i had to pay. Overall good experience and nothing to complain.

I am also considering Etterbeek Ixelles for pregnancy check ups and delivery. May I ask the name of your doctor?
Many thanks!

@kavind could you please share the name of the doctor? Thanks a lot!

In 2015, I did my midwifery internship at St Elisabeth Hospital in Ukkel (part of Europa-ziekenhuizen). I remember I guided several expats through labor and delivery. It was a common place for expats to give birth. They was a big labour and delivery bathtub and facilities supporting giving birth naturally, as well as good care for more medicalised births. Regularly expats came with their own doula to facilitate a smoother birth proces or to fill in any language gab. Overall the birth team (doctors/midwives/nurses) was able to communicate in Dutch/French/English/some other languages as well. Often doctors are on call, so at the moment of delivery you are not sure if you can deliver with the same gynaecologist as the one you had during your consultations. We are many years later now, so I don't know how the situation, services and facilities are now, but as a student back in those days, this was one of the placements I loved most.