30% ruling - distance requirement

Dear Expat Forum,

I have received a job offer from a high-tech company in Eindhoven area, the Netherlands. I have a question regarding the 30% ruling applicable to people relocating from Belgium. I have been living for the past 6 years in Mons, Belgium. It is > 150 km from Eindhoven and the HR said that I do qualify for 30% regulation and they would apply on my behalf. The relocation company hired by my future employer recently contacted me and mentioned that the distance is calculated from Mons to the nearest Dutch border. This makes entire Belgium within the 150 km restriction. I would like to ask any Belgium citizens or former residents that recently moved to the Netherlands for their personal experience regarding the 30% ruling application.

Appreciate any helpful response.

Thank you

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The law was changed in 2012 to basically say that the 150-kilometre requirement is taken from the nearest border in the Netherlands, to where you have lived for more than 16 out of the last 24 months; the 150-kilometre distance is measured in a straight line (“as the crow flies”).  So, by definition, residents of Belgium and Luxemburg cannot qualify.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team