Tax implications working remotely

Hello,

I am a UK citizen looking at moving to the Netherlands with my partner, who is an EU Citizen and will have a Dutch contract.

My UK based company will allow me to keep working for them but fully remotely from the Netherlands. I want to understand the tax implications for both myself and the company I work for and whether it is possible or not.

Thanks,

Lizzie

Hello Lizzie,

Welcome on board !

Please note that I have created a new thread from your post on the Netherlands forum so that members might help you.

Till members revert, I suggest that you read the The tax system in the Netherlands so that to have some knowledge about their tax system.

All the very best,

Bhavna

Hello,
I am a UK citizen looking at moving to the Netherlands with my partner, who is an EU Citizen and will have a Dutch contract.

My UK based company will allow me to keep working for them but fully remotely from the Netherlands. I want to understand the tax implications for both myself and the company I work for and whether it is possible or not.

Thanks,

Lizzie
-@ecmp

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I did this (albeit some years ago).  It really is quite simple, unless you are a Government employee working for the UK Government, you will pay tax and NI on your UK salary to HMRC as you do now.  There is a double taxation agreement in place which means the Dutch will not tax you on your UK income that has already been assessed by HMRC.  However, the massive elephant in the room is Dutch social taxes, these are not regarded as income taxes and are not part of the agreement and if you are resident in the Netherlands, your worldwide income, up to EUR 35,472, will be assessed for these taxes and taxed at 28.5%, at present, the contribution is capped at EUR 9,808 per annum.

You also have to consider compulsory Health Insurance (please read through the Forum posts for more about that); this link may answer some questions.

I did it for a couple of years until the tax burden became so great, we moved back to the UK.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic Thank you - that is really helpful - much appreciated!