30% ruling after 6 months erasmus traineeship in the Netherlands

Hi all,

I am Italian and I did an internship in the Netherlands from Janurary 24 to July 16 (6 months) with the Erasmus+Traineeship grant I won at my Home University.

I left the Netherlands on July 16 and returned on August 31.

This is because on September 1 I started my PhD in the Netherlands, so having lived 18 of the 24 months prior to my Dutch contract, in Italy and having come directly from italy, can I be considered a student from abroad?

Do these requirements meet the application for the 30% ruling?

Thanks for helping me.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The Belastingdienst have a website that has the information you are looking for, including a link so that those for who it is applicable can begin their application.  This link will take you straight to the website.  At the bottom of that page is a link to the Belastingdienst contact section, where you can speak to someone regarding your tax circumstances.

My own opinion is that you don't qualify for the 30% because you live in the Netherlands and one of the requirements is "You must have lived at a distance of more than 150 kilometres as the crow flies from the Dutch border for more than 16 months in the 24 months prior to your first working day in the Netherlands."

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic My university started the practice before I came to the Netherlands, but the matter is taking longer and I asked now my question.

In fact, I left Netherlands on July 16 and did not return until August 31, because my work contract started on September 1st.

In the 24 months prior to my work contract I lived 18 months in Italy and 6 months in The Netherlands.

@Cynic My university started the practice before I came to the Netherlands, but the matter is taking longer and I asked now my question.
In fact, I left Netherlands on July 16 and did not return until August 31, because my work contract started on September 1st.
In the 24 months prior to my work contract I lived 18 months in Italy and 6 months in The Netherlands.
-@Lili_stomp

I'm assuming your employer is registered with the IND (it's one of the basic requirements). If they are, then speak to your employer; the tax exemption is between the Belastingdienst and them, and they both have to agree.

Thinking about it, Covid is still causing issues within the Dutch Civil Service, perhaps your paperwork is delayed because of this?

@Guest9874 Hi I am currently in the same situation and I would like to know if you were able to finally get it. Thanks in advance :)