From Oregon to Belize by car

We just traveled from Oregon to Belize by car. I wanted to share some of our experiences. We crossed over into mexico at McAllen. They are currently working on it so it was somewhat confusing, but easy cross over. The roads a whole other subject. Lots of very large pot holes and speed bumps at every town. We didn't feel fearful of anything but the roads. You have to watch carefully. I understand why you don't travel at night. We had several inspection crosses and everyone was kind. No problems. We stayed in Tampico the first night at the comfort inn as they took animals. We were traveling with 1 dog and 2 cats. Very nice, very helpful people. The second night we stay in Veracruz at the indigo hotel. Very very nice. Boutique hotel caters to pets. Loved it. The next night in Villahermosa. The most amazingly, helpful people I have come across. Outstanding. Next night in chetamal at the maculis hotel. Really nice. Not typical. You may feel like this is not OK, but once you meet owners/staff it is wonderful. Its safe, give it a try. In no time in our trip did I fear the people. Its just the roads. They do get better as you go farther.

I just travelled from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to Belize by car. We stayed in Great Falls, MT the first night, Casper, WY the second, Amarillo, TX the third, and Del Rio, Tx the fourth night of the US portion of the trip. Crossed over into Mexico the morning of the fifth day. Lots of construction in Ciudad Acuna, but went through the border without a hitch. Travelled the toll roads across Mexico and never once felt afraid. The people are extremely friendly and helpful. Had two check stops and the police were very nice as well. Spent the first night at the Quality Inn in Saltillo. Second night was in San Juan del Rio. Traffic was heavy at 4 pm and we were past hotels before we saw them. I had not booked earlier because I did not know if we would make it here before dark. Anyway we ended up south of the city at a truck stop where no one spoke English but we managed to get a taxi to lead us back into town to a hotel (it was after dark). We are staying at a beautiful place - La Venta Hotel Hacienda. We have been finding the people we have met so far extremely friendly and helpful. Went through mountains and across a very wide valley today. Lots of yucca forests. Beautiful rocks. The next night was spent at Acayucan at Hotel Arcos del Parque. Once again we arrived two hours before dark but couldn't find the hotel. It was dark when we finally found it.  It was small but comfortable. They did not have 3-prong receptacles in this hotel so my computer died. I decided not to pre-book hotels again, but just take the first one we could find. The next night we left the toll road and went off to Palenque. Stayed in the most beautiful hotel of the trip - the Hotel Maya Toucan. Fantastic restaurant there as well. The last day in Mexico we arrived at the border by 4pm and decided to cross then. I importing my car into Belize and the quoted custom duties were more than what I paid for the car, so we went into Corozal for the night and returned to the customs the next morning. By noon we were able to get the duties down to a reasonable amount and I arrived at my home near Spanish Lookout by 3:30 in the afternoon. A very enjoyable trip. The toll roads were good except for the construction areas - unfortunately there were a lot of them

So glad you had a good experience also. Do you mind me asking about the duty you had to pay on the car and how you got it down?