Today's Weather

Weather predictions for Saturday, from 4 to 20 cm of rain!!!  :o

klsallee wrote:

Yes, I saw that (think you meant mm, n'est pas?).  I was - once again - planning a load of things in the garden. Stuffed again!

Maybe (fingers crossed) it'll wash all the blue-green algae away.  I've never seen that in Balaton before in 25+ years. Mix it with lightning and we've got the makings of some primordial life.

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Yes, I saw that (think you meant mm, n'est pas?).

Nope. Not a typo. Too much an anal stats guy to make such a silly error in reporting. www.yr.no is currently giving a prediction of 115 mm (i.e. 11.5 cm) for Saturday day alone plus 8.6 cm for late Friday night (basically what I will call Saturday)*.

https://stcoemgen.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/selection_040.png

* Given how weird this year is, that prediction may change in 5 minutes.... Or they may have gotten a decimal wrong... but then that is their problem not mine. I only passed along a range of predictions, from various sources, I am not validating any of them.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Yes, I saw that (think you meant mm, n'est pas?).

Nope. Not a typo. Too much an anal stats guy to make such a silly error in reporting. www.yr.no is currently giving a prediction of 115 mm (i.e. 11.5 cm) for Saturday day alone plus 8.6 cm for late Friday night (basically what I will call Saturday)*.

[img align=c]https://stcoemgen.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/selection_040.png[/url]

* Given how weird this year is, that prediction may change in 5 minutes.... Or they may have gotten a decimal wrong... but then that is their problem not mine. I only passed along a range of predictions, from various sources, I am not validating any of them.

Strange, I totalled it for my area from midnight Friday until 19h Saturday and it was 38.8 mm which is a lot anyway but 115mm is bonkers. 

I just looked at Keszthely and it's showing 27+mm rain for 6h Saturday morning.   

Looked on the radar and there's hardly anything.

If true, it's going to be biblical with flash flooding. I'll need to call Noah to see if he has space available and I'd better make sure my drainpipes are in good condition.

Light drizzle, 25 C, day shorter by 2 minutes than it was yesterday

Balaton:  nice and warm, 30+ C, sunny, no slime, some black clouds and rain on the north side (also on the radar), too many mosquitos

Big storm last night with crashing and banging and a huge drop in temperatures and now it's September. 

Dull and overcast.   

15 C at 0650h.

We have had a couple of storms, nothing major but rain all last night, and heavy rain planned to p^ss me off all today.

Low of 12°C
High of 16°C

Mosquitoes in our area (West Balaton) have been quiet (limited) up till mid/end August, now they are getting awake (!), but I suppose just a few weeks and it will be all over. As an additional note, last year we had quite our portion of wasps (not so this year, very quiet actually).

Many things can be said about Corona (on the negative side), probably not linked, but this year fruits, most of the vegs are doing excellent and unlike last year I think walnuts this year will also do great.

cdw057 wrote:

Mosquitoes in our area (West Balaton) have been quiet (limited) up till mid/end August, now they are getting awake (!), but I suppose just a few weeks and it will be all over. As an additional note, last year we had quite our portion of wasps (not so this year, very quiet actually).

Many things can be said about Corona (on the negative side), probably not linked, but this year fruits, most of the vegs are doing excellent and unlike last year I think walnuts this year will also do great.

Apparently the weather will improve towards the end of the week.  With the pools of standing water, there could be more mosquitoes.  I've not seen many wasps either.  We've got a ground bees nest in our garden but they seem to have gone suddenly.   Maybe the colder weather has caused them to leave.

We've got some marrows growing and they are growing like crazy. Seems to grow about 10cm a day!  I've never seen a prolific plant.  Our pears are not bad but we've had some sort of blight on our apples. Not sure how to solve that problem.

Finally no rain, the garden can recover. 20°C today and will reach 30°C by the weekend.

SimCityAT wrote:

Finally no rain, the garden can recover. 20°C today and will reach 30°C by the weekend.

17 C here in the Budapest burbs and very sunny.  Blue skies with some cotton ball clouds here and there.  Hoping for 25+ C towards the weekend.

Same here as mentioned by Fluffy, 200 km to the west, but looks good for the coming days. Autumn will be autumn and winter will be winter, Bad weather times to come, but for now nothing to complain and I have to say even if sitting outside with 18C in the sun is good (makes me hope for months to come).
Side remark, sitting outside at home I think is becoming more frequent in Corona times and I have to say it is a (relative) pleasure.

cdw057 wrote:

Same here as mentioned by Fluffy, 200 km to the west, but looks good for the coming days. Autumn will be autumn and winter will be winter, Bad weather times to come, but for now nothing to complain and I have to say even if sitting outside with 18C in the sun is good (makes me hope for months to come).
Side remark, sitting outside at home I think is becoming more frequent in Corona times and I have to say it is a (relative) pleasure.

I think this slightly cooler weather is a good thing really.  I was digging out a bush yesterday and it was heavy sweaty work and if it was 30 C I wouldn't have even attempted it.   The bad news is other stuff like car repairs in cooler and wetter times.  Doing those outside is impossible during the winter - just too cold to use the tools and the shorter days isn't helpful.  By the end of October, all outside work will need to be over and only inside work can be attempted. Make the most of the weather to get things done!

fluffy2560 wrote:

I was digging out a bush yesterday and it was heavy sweaty work and if it was 30 C I wouldn't have even attempted it.

Shame on you you should be stuck inside self-isolating ;)

After 3 days and nights of rain, the ground is sodden today. I will do the garden tomorrow.

As far as I am concerned, weather looks to be absolutely perfect over the coming few days. No rain, so perhaps grass cutting can wait until end of September. But 27C with sun is perfect for me.

It's getting a bit colder in the evenings though. It was jumper (US: sweater) weather last night.  Only about 16 C.

During the day, it's very pleasant, nice and sunny. 

I've got to prune my cherry tree this week.

So had rain yesterday it said it would be cloudy today, but that soon changed to you guessed right, rain. I can't really complain because the garden does need to be watered. Maybe it's natures way to top up the water table? But at least it's still warm.

Low 10°C
High 21°C

Will get even warmer in the week with a high of 30°C

SimCityAT wrote:

So had rain yesterday it said it would be cloudy today, but that soon changed to you guessed right, rain. I can't really complain because the garden does need to be watered. Maybe it's natures way to top up the water table? But at least it's still warm.

Low 10°C
High 21°C

Will get even warmer in the week with a high of 30°C

Not looking good here.  Pretty much full cloud cover currently and only 20 C outside. 

Definitely a chill in the air but no wind. 

High of 24 C expected but mainly cloudy/sunny.

Well that all changed, its all cleared up. The sun is out

SimCityAT wrote:

Well that all changed, its all cleared up. The sun is out

Same here, showing 34 C in the sun and about 26 C inside.   

It's really too hot to work in the garden but I keep thinking how we will all miss the great weather in just a couple of months. 

At least there's a slight breeze.

Nice during the day - into the mid 20s - but seriously dropping at night.    Last night was 11 C.  We even had to put on light tops when taking the pooch out.

It's the beginning of the end of summer.  I've noticed some trees are getting brown leaves and the wind is picking up occasionally.   Really a remarkable system that the leaves go brown and wind just happens to come along and blow them all off.  Just ready for humans to come along and rake them all up.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Nice during the day - into the mid 20s - but seriously dropping at night.    Last night was 11 C.  We even had to put on light tops when taking the pooch out.

It's the beginning of the end of summer.  I've noticed some trees are getting brown leaves and the wind is picking up occasionally.   Really a remarkable system that the leaves go brown and wind just happens to come along and blow them all off.  Just ready for humans to come along and rake them all up.

27°C  here all week and a low of 13°C. No rain tho  :/

Rained a lot last night. 

Thermometer is showing just under 10C this morning.   Grey skies, cloud and drizzle by the look of it.

None of this really showing on the weather forecasts. They seem to be useless lately with no accuracy at all. 

No. 1 eyeball assessment is that it looks like autumn has finally arrived.

Constant drizzle bordering on rain, 7.5 C, swirling cloud over the hills, wet dog.

Next week (w/b 19 October 2020), we will have a sudden burst of warmer weather.  It looks like it could get past 15 C or so with sun for most of the week.   Even today in direct sunlight I could see 20 C on my outside thermometer.   Maybe the ground will dry out for outside work.

Excellent weather, showing 30 C in the sun but only 16 C in the shade but really sunny and pleasant.   Rain expected Thursday and onwards to November.  Make the most of the sun!

Down at Balaton yesterday for domestic matters and it was really rather nice for a stroll along the side of the lake. Some cafes and ice cream shops are open. Couple of sailing boats on the lake.  For some strange reason, the storm warning lights were flashing.

Off topic but cannot resist.....further afield, 4th November, bright rays of sunshine and outbreaks of optimism are expected over Washington DC.

Weather here is perfect as well (we sat on the terrace today with a nice bottle of wine and enjoyed company of our GSD and cats) (the stinking bugs which have bothered us a bit over the last weeks seem to have hidden a bit).
As it seems weather will remain relatively good over the coming few days.

Honestly I hope this will remain, but also I hope that 1 or 2 nights in winter it will be -20 (just to get rid of annoying Mediterranean bugs which seem to settle in (normal wasps and bees are fine to be co-residents but these new special species, better not)

cdw057 wrote:

Weather here is perfect as well (we sat on the terrace today with a nice bottle of wine and enjoyed company of our GSD and cats) (the stinking bugs which have bothered us a bit over the last weeks seem to have hidden a bit).
As it seems weather will remain relatively good over the coming few days.

Honestly I hope this will remain, but also I hope that 1 or 2 nights in winter it will be -20 (just to get rid of annoying Mediterranean bugs which seem to settle in (normal wasps and bees are fine to be co-residents but these new special species, better not)

Last night it was about 6  C but it is at least sunny'ish this morning.

Those stink bugs are coming inside now the weather is changing.  Here, if I leave a window open, they get into any gaps where the locking mechanism is.  I vacuum them out. 

This is also the time when the dreaded Marder (Martens or HU: nyuszt) return to smash up your car by eating the plastic wiring or rubber door seals and try to get into your roof to over winter.  Horrible things.   

We've got some wasps in the wall behind our air conditioner/heat pump units - they got through the gaps where the pipes enter. I don't like them because they will destroy the insulation or interfere with the cabling.  They are going to die but it's quite hard to find a proper way to do it - they aren't active at night so they'll get some good news from some wasp killer then.  At least they aren't murder wasps. But if they were bees we'd leave them alone.   

I notice many trees are now starting to lose their leaves now as temperatures sink.  Out in the forested areas, it's starting to look very nice and colourful and very New England but of course this is just the beginning.  The sun is now getting lower in the sky which will cause difficulties driving.

Weather as it seems will be good (especially good that virtually no rain), a bit cloudy though, but no (serious) rain predicted for the coming two weeks, Temperatures could however drop below zero so after DRV had replaced their water meter I took the opportunity to turn off the outside water (and drain them off).
Lets see how if works out the rest of the winter, but personally I hope for a bit of snow and more importantly for 1 or 2 nights with -20C or so to get rid of the foreign insects and clean things a bit. (not good for the gas bill but if only for two nights it is fine)

Today my eldest siter sad she is finally sick of her MInn. winters and wishes to join in a warm topical climate when we finally escape the matrix.
Sounds good to me, any suggestions?
Thinking of somewhere in S. Amwrica.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Today my eldest siter sad she is finally sick of her MInn. winters and wishes to join in a warm topical climate when we finally escape the matrix.
Thinking of somewhere in S. America.

One of my US colleagues told me that Costa Rica or Panama are well serviced places to go for US retirees.  Plenty of flights further North, good medical services, nice weather and lots of expats. 

No real experience, only anecdotal evidence.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

One of my US colleagues told me that Costa Rica or Panama are well serviced places to go for US retirees.  Plenty of flights further North, good medical services, nice weather and lots of expats. 

Our old machine shop "partner" a Hungarian guy had a wife from Costa Rica. Sunded nice, Panama we looked at ,well my husband did some research.
Chile sounds nice, my son's BFF is from there. Nice family, his parents were super great people. Knew them in S.Ca. but they decided to move back home after making sme $$ in the uS.
They were f the "country club" class and their lifestyle was much better in Chile.
My son's friend now owns a bar at some beach, married with 2 sons.
So werid , I used to have him over for little parties and sleep overs when he was 8-9 years old.
My son had an "international" crew of friends, one from Chille, one frm Iran, one from Russia and a cubby little Irish boy with bright red hair, oh forgot he also had a little black friend and a female tomboy in the crew. Wild bunch to watch all at once!
The Iranian friend could be easy to find , he probably now runs his parents business, They started up a Persian bakery and sold flat bread to grocery stores all over S. Ca.
This grey weather really has to end. The darkest winter? I don't mind the cold but n sun is no fun.
Rather get our vitamin D directly from the source and not in pill frm.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Our old machine shop "partner" a Hungarian guy had a wife from Costa Rica. Sounded nice, Panama we looked at ,well my husband did some research.
Chile sounds nice, my son's BFF is from there. Nice family, his parents were super great people. Knew them in S.Ca. but they decided to move back home after making some $$ in the uS.
They were f the "country club" class and their lifestyle was much better in Chile.
My son's friend now owns a bar at some beach, married with 2 sons.
So werid , I used to have him over for little parties and sleep overs when he was 8-9 years old.
My son had an "international" crew of friends, one from Chile, one from Iran, one from Russia and a cubby little Irish boy with bright red hair, oh forgot he also had a little black friend and a female tomboy in the crew. Wild bunch to watch all at once!
The Iranian friend could be easy to find , he probably now runs his parents business, They started up a Persian bakery and sold flat bread to grocery stores all over S. Ca.
This grey weather really has to end. The darkest winter? I don't mind the cold but n sun is no fun.
Rather get our vitamin D directly from the source and not in pill ofrm.

I used to work with a guy from Chile and he said it was pretty good there after the politics was sorted out way back when.   He had a cattle ranch and his wife ran it with his kids.  Looked nice in the pictures.

Those kids sound like a diversity group of kids from a movie or something. 

I couldn't recommend the Bahamas - been there three times - and it's definitely only for the rich and famous.   There's a place there on New Providence (where the capital Nassau is)  called Lyford Cay. That and Treasure Island Ocean Club are for the rich and famous - people like Nicholas Cage and Oprah are believed to have places there.  I've never seen so many private jets at the airport. 

What got me about the place is the interior of New Providence is almost poverty stricken.  Some places  do not even have running water yet other places in private communities are of unbelievable opulence.  No excuse really considering how much money is sloshing around there - presumably not all from legit sources.  I could see the difference pushing people over the edge eventually. 

Quite a few people have reported that Barbados is quite nice. 

I've been in Saint Lucia and I thought it was a bit dangerous in some areas.  People getting off cruise ships were mugged almost immediately they set foot on land and the local newspapers were full of crime stories - usually some ethnic groups from elsewhere shooting each other.

More Vitamin D than you can absorb in those places.

Weather is perfect today as far as I am concerned, cold (our pond covered with ice, not enough for walking but serious level), minus 5C when I woke up (4.oo AM). However enough sun, almost no wind. (Considering sitting on the terrace this morning).
As I understand there will be very little rain for at least one more week.

No serious minuses expected though (perhaps a shame as I would like to get rid of some of the foreign insects which invaded over the last year).

Weather is perfect today as far as I am concerned, cold (our pond covered with ice, not enough for walking but serious level), minus 5C when I woke up (4.oo AM). However enough sun, almost no wind. (Considering sitting on the terrace this morning).
As I understand there will be very little rain for at least one more week.

No serious minuses expected though (perhaps a shame as I would like to get rid of some of the foreign insects which invaded over the last year).

We were out walking on Hármashatár-hegy with the doggy.  Many many people out with their dogs. It's just dog city out there.  Dog loves it.  Really big open area with many doggy play friends, some of them a bit aggressive.

Cold in the shadows with patches of frost but warm enough for a lighter coat if in the sun.  Temperatures around 5 C maybe more in the sun.  That's one thing about Hungary - can be cold but plenty of blue skies and low humidity.   Low sun is a problem driving.

Just December and January to do and then perhaps we'll see some February signs of Spring.  Yay!

It was - 6°C this morning in my town. Yesterday it tried to snow.

SimCityAT wrote:

It was - 6°C this morning in my town. Yesterday it tried to snow.

There were some posts a few days ago on Facebook showing snow in the Matra mountains. 

I looked here and it does look a bit snowy on the webcams.

Won't take much for it to snow but very clear at Balaton - really good picture here. Clear skies means cold!