Bringing British car to Prague

Hi guys,

I have checked all old threads and did not found anything recent. We are moving to Prague in 2 months and wanted to take our car with us. Main question I could not find an answer to
- can I register a car with steering wheel on the other side?
- do we have to modify the lights?
- is there a age limit of the car we can import to CR?

I would be very grateful for help with these :)

Thank you!

I did a Google search and it seems you cannot register your car in Prague as it is right hand drive.
If you bring the car over temporarily your UK insurance will only cover it for 90 days max in one calendar year.

I may be wrong so It would be worthwhile doing a Google search for information. I found this on a Czech forum.

Thank you! I have Googled too, but there is not much information available. I have also seen different information on this Forum, so I hoped something has changed maybe :)

Hi, we have brought a British car to the Czech Republic to the UK and successfully registered it (in 2012). If I remember correctly, only the lights needed adjusting, and we used the services of a garage outside Prague (towards Plzen, I need to check where) for all adjustments and registrations. In the end, the car is registered for "all drivers", but naturally you cannot sell it in the CR. We are still using the car without problems.

Thank you so much for your reply! I would be forever grateful if you could send me contact details to this garage :) I will also phone Ministry of Transport to confirm, if the car is not too old (2006).
Karolina

We've just moved from Scotland to cz, brought both our cars....we have insurance with Saga, who provide European cover for 12 months...we hope/expect to modify and register cars in cz before UK insurance expires next summer.

@Gwedhan hello if you still need to register your car contact me
I registered my passat cc 2009 from UK in prague last year.
Moderated by Julien 2 years ago
Reason : for your own safety please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct