Student life in South Korea

Hello,

Studying in a foreign country is an exciting prospect, but at times students do not have enough information to make an informed decision. We invite you to share your own experiences about studying abroad in South Korea.

What are the advantages of studying in South Korea? What are the disadvantages?

Are there proper housing options for students, or do most students have to find their own accommodation?

Are living costs for students in South Korea expensive? What is an average budget for a student per month, including rent, groceries, and social activities?

Is it easy to form a social circle in South Korea? What are some of the preferred social activities?

Are there international student societies or community engagement programs for international students?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi,

As for International Students who want to study in South Korea, is all depends on one's nationality, the Origin.
If you are from (As Korean call, Third world countries) less privileged countries, Like, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Thailand etc, then you will have more unpleasant experiences, rather less good ones.

As you asked, i would like to answer your questions sequentially;

Q: What are the advantages of studying in South Korea? What are the disadvantages?

A: Largely it is all depends on your subjects (Major), although it is unlikely to get Job during or after your studies, as they Koreans prefer to hire Koreans, or WHITE SKIN fellows, Also degrees from Korean Unis are not very attractive in US or Europe, Australia as Korean Education standards are not very high, compare to Singapore which is an Asian country, with highest education standards in the world. to be very true and faithful, South Korea is not the destination to build your career as professional.   
FURTHERMORE, Language is also play a very huge problematic role. BUT, students whom not secure admissions in aforesaid countries unis, can easily secure admissions in South Korea.

Q: Are there proper housing options for students, or do most students have to find their own accommodation?

A: Yes, Unis in Korea mostly provide dormitory, if you able to pay, if not then you have to secure room outside of your schools (nearby area), you can find 1 room or share rooms in locality.
Rents depends on building condition and market /  Subway station locations ....rent can be near by 200$ to 400$ in Seoul City area, and 100$ to 200$ other cities.

Q:Are living costs for students in South Korea expensive? What is an average budget for a student per month, including rent, groceries, and social activities?

A: IT IS ALL, depends on your life style, you can survive with 500$ budget if you are not a party girl/boy. if you love to go out and be wanted to social, it can be minimum 1500$ to unlimited.

Q: Is it easy to form a social circle in South Korea? What are some of the preferred social activities?
Are there international student societies or community engagement programs for international students? 

A: You can form a Social circle with your school peers mix with Korean or your own origin country. Again to be very true, South Korea society starts with alcohol and end with it. PERIOD.
YOU can find engagement programs in your schools, as your seniors somehow (must) form something to get along int his aspect.

After writing all of this, i am wondering whether i can find any positivism in it!!!!
But accept my apology, as i cannot coat anything above in sugar.

Ertiza Abbas