Getting married in South Korea

Marriage in South Korea
Updated 2017-10-05 11:59

Expatriates from around the world are increasingly choosing to get married in exotic destinations. South Korea is a country offering various types of wedding ceremonies, suiting all preferences. Whether you are getting married to a local South Korean or a foreign national, you can choose from a variety of wedding ceremonies. Keep in mind that there are certain formalities to follow depending on your citizenship.

Good to know:

Gay marriage is not legal in South Korea.


You must be more than 20 years to be eligible for marriage in South Korea. Men aged 18 and women aged 16 are allowed to get married with their parents' or guardians' consent.

The bride and the groom will require several documents from their home country to get married in South Korea. As these requirements vary from country to country, it is important to contact your local embassy or consulate in South Korea for a full list of required documents.

Foreign national can have a wedding ceremony either at their Embassy in South Korea or Korean authorities.

Marrying a South Korean citizen

For marriages between foreigners and South Koreans, both parties will require certain documents from the local Korean authorities as well as the foreign officials. All foreign documents need to be translated into Korean and receive an apostille. At the same time, all Korean documents will also often be required to be translated into the foreign spouse's mother tongue. These documents usually include:

  • Proof of identity and citizenship (birth certificate, passport)
  • Affidavit of eligibility for marriage
  • Proof of celibacy (Divorce decree if you are divorced or your previous spouse's death certificate if applicable)
  • Evidence of consent if you are less than 20 years old.
  • As for the South Korean spouse, he or she has to provide their birth certificate, a family relationships certificate as well as his or her identity card.

Celebrate your marriage

Once your wedding is registered with the authorities, you can organise a wedding ceremony of your choice. You can organise a religious wedding ceremony in a church or a Buddhist temple, book a venue at a wedding hall or hotel or have a more intimate wedding at a location of your choice.

Spousal visa information

If you are married to a South Korean national, you are eligible to change your visa status to F-6, or the Korean spousal visa. This type of visa allows you to reside and work in South Korea for a period of 1 or 2 years. Visa holders can extend their visa shortly before the date of expiration. To obtain a spousal visa in Korea, you will have to apply for a visa change at your local immigration office. You will require certain documents including your marriage certificate, proof of your residence registration, as well as evidence of you and your spouse's income and the foreign spouse's Korean language capabilities. If the multicultural couple communicates in a language other than Korean, Korean language skills are usually not required. Please consult your nearest immigration office or call 1345.

Useful links:

Department of Governmental Legislation South Korea

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.