Finding your bearings in Thailand

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Thailand? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Thailand?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Thailand? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Thailand?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

In my opinion, it's pretty difficult to ask locals for directions. It's very seldom, perhaps never going to happen that somebody would say that they don't know the way/place/street, etc.

It's not common for Thais to say that they don't know the way, so it's properly possible that you'll be sent to go straight, turn right/left, and finally end up even more lost than you already were.

Most cities have maps, but finding them can be a bit difficult. The tourist information is usually a good place where you can get maps, advice on how to find a particular place, but I always prefer to check online before I'm leaving where the location actually is.

It's very easy to get lost and many people might send you to a place where other foreigners are, especially when they didn't really understand your question.

Asking locals has not really helped me and I was very often sent to other places that had nothing to do with where I wanted to go to.

A GPS is definitely a great tool when on the road. If you come into a situation where you've got to ask people, please do that at a bigger gas station, the possibility to find somebody is much higher and they might have a map or an English-speaking employee that could help you to find your goal.

Gas stations are also a lot safer for foreigners. Google seems to be your best friend. Cheers.

The only problem with asking locals for directions is the foreigner's inability to understand what they are told.  Thais have a different spacial orientation and reference locations in a way unfamiliar to foreigners.  Fortunately, Google Maps has street view for most places around Thailand so getting lost takes real effort on the part of the foreigner.

Unless you are talking with the owner of the gas station, the chances of getting knowledgeable information is slim.  Where I live most of the kids pumping gas aren't even Thai, have never been anywhere and don't know much about the places foreigner might be looking for.

Some foreigners enjoy putting Thais down and blaming them for their own inability to understand and adapt to their new environment.  I quite enjoy asking locals for directions.  You never know who you might meet and they are always so polite and helpful.

Never have a problem using GPS and Google maps.  The additional use of street view is also very useful.

As previously posted you must be selective the type of local you ask for directions.

In my opinion the best way to get directions in thailand is using a navigation like google maps, its pretty difficult to ask locals for directions and complecated to understand what are they saying but sometimes could be useful

I use a combination of old-fashion paper maps, GPS / Google Maps / WAYZ, etc. and road signs.  Generally speaking, asking directions from locals is pretty much useless...they just don't know.

I have used a garmin GPS since arriving in Thailand 13 years ago.
Has never let me down. But, i suppose, there is always a first time!!

Hi
I usually find my way around a number of ways. I use the app Rome2rio to find out basic public transport routes. I've also used seat61.com for any train journeys. Sometimes I ask other foreign friends and traveller's. However, I prefer just to try different routes and modes of transport out for myself. Everyone prefers different forms of transport and travel and for me it's part of the adventure. I don't mind if I find a faster, more convenient or comfortable route the second or third time I travel somewhere. Everything adds to the experience of traveling around Thailand, and I think that's why most of us are here. Local people are always friendly and very helpful, they don't always get the directions correct, however I have found Thai people will go out of their way to help.
If I were to give some advice I would check when the Thai public holidays are as public transport fills up quickly. Always carry your passport. Don't expect to get anywhere in a rush, this don't mean that transport is delayed but you need to give yourself time (Sabai sabai). Travel with a smile and be polite, manners cost nothing.

Hi,
Your question is very interesting. Until recently I used an in car navigation system that frankly was not very good. Any road or motorway that had been built within the last five years was not recognized. In the end I bought a very inexpensive gps from google called Sygic. I have since added to it real view navigation, dashcam and head-up display. It has been fantastic. I don't now need to ask directions.
Hope this helps you.
Ben

I am using Waze.
Sometime, I ask my way, better ask to the pharmacy. They usually speak English.

In the very beginning i use google maps, and a offline map i forgot the name of.
But i found out very fast, That asking Thai for help was easy, even before i speak thai.
And even easy after i learn Thai.
So have never being a big problem for me.

Sure a few times i being send in the wrong direction, But i try that in every country i stay in, So nothing "special" about that.

I all so have Thai say, That they dont know, Some have then walk away, But most Thai try to ask other Thai walking by for help, call family / friends to help out.
And a few times after they found out where i have to go, They take me there on motorbike, To be sure i get there.

All so have Thai say they dont know when together with my wife around Thailand.
So i never understand why some people say / write, That Thai never going to say that they dont know.

I do find that most Thai know where i / we need to go, And all ways have time to help out. I am very surprised that Thai know where we have to go, Special in Bangkok & Nonthaburi, As the 2 city are huge.

I find that Thai people are so helpful & kind, And all ways do the best to help me / us.
And they have the time to spare.

Kindly.

When I arrived in Chiang Mai, I bought motorbike and I go around without map (or)gps. But sometimes I've got an appointment with some people, that time I used google maps. Sometimes, the map destinations and my appointment place is totally different. I confused alot when I used the google maps.
In Chiang Mai, some thai people can't speak English very well. So that, If you want to ask someone to direction, you couldn't easy to conversation with the people.

Well Priscilla

We believe the Global or google positioning systems (GPS). Where you want to go? Ask google. And there you go is the answer. Accurate, time saved you have reached the destination. Marvel of modern technology.So far so good.

Where is the human face to it ? Who are we ? We travel in BTS.  We find nine out of ten (the ten had left his mobile at home) are looking at their mobiles with much abandon of what is happening around them. We have become aliens in our own wonder land called earth.

We have become slaves of modern technology and with that we wish to cross time and space barriers.
Gadgets have taken over our life. We are pursued everywhere by our masters. We are lost in a maze of technololgy with mindless chatter in the internet mobiles and gadgets.

Some thirty years ago walking in Bangkok streets used to be fun with smiley faces and sawadees around. Just roll back thirty years. Imagine a scene,we walk around with mirrors in hand,talking or laughing to ourselves. Passersby would wonder as though we have lost our mental balance. To day the scene is in reverse.

Now come to travel. Where is the fun? The fun part is missing. To muse a little more, here are the clips
from my notes or memoirs.

" I just asked the guy on the road the way to Golden Buddha. The guy nodded and guided me to tuktuk guy and spoke to him in Thai and told me that the tuk tuk will reach me to my  destination. I have come to a place, marvellous structures and finally it dawned to me that I am at  Emerald Buddha."

Well as a foreigner you experience the first goof. Nonethe less it was a beautiful experience. Next day
I visited Golden Buddha after due diligence and triple verification of location. It was worth it.

Did I curse the guy who guided me in the first place ? No. I blessed him rather.

" I am going to Central Chidlom. The wayside samaritan understood Central Silom and gave me directions. I thanked him and proceeded to my destination. Lost in traffic, and finding another destination I cursed him for the day." I felt angels simply forgot to bless me on that day.

There are plenty to write about like, " oh your destination is a mile away, and ten miles pass by and still to find the ultimate mile" , " oh your destination near the esso pump or seven eleven, alas we find essos and seven elevens everywhere."

The town planning or tourism department had geared up for the tourists and taken so much trouble to place sign boards (the upward plane symbol) to Swarnaphum airport  right from far-off highways to including  not frequented bylanes of Bangkok. Sometimes you are still lost with so much pathways.

These are the fun parts. We should allow some amount of suspense,some amount of thrills for tourists
and alike to explore more around and make the overall experience a memorable one.

Vijileo

Google Maps works well in most circumstances where you can get a GPS signal, but it might not be so reliable in urban areas with one-way streets, or remote rural areas.

Of course, don't blindly follow Google Maps' short-cuts across minor roads... - go on major roads to avoid dead-ends, road closures /repairs /un-navigable pot-holes or land-slides, and un-signed flooding.  Also... common-sense prevails:  avoid unnecessary journeys at the height of the rainy season, and get an hourly weather forecast (use apps like Accuweather and Ventusky) within 12 hours of departure.

In remote rural areas, you would often be lucky to happen upon a Thai who knows directions beyond their own village area. If you have enough command of the Thai language, find a car driver (rather than motorbike rider), to ask for directions (simply because they might undertake longer journeys).
To find English speakers (to get directions) , look for pharmacy or clinic signs, and you'll normally find someone with a fair understanding.

Easy to navigate Thailand with Google maps and Co ordinates. It does sometimes takes you around about way, but most times the right way. People are certainly helpful if they know the place otherwise it can be hectic trying to find a place. Yes Google maps for sure if you can't read or speak Thai.

This is a great topic with so much information that the Expats, et al, are offering from so many perspectives within so many contexts and situations!

As a hobby, I like to get lost in the landscape and then work my way out of it and find my way back to home base, however . . . getting onto topic . . .

The good old cell phone:  Voice contact, not electronic contact, is imperative. As for me, especially during my traveling adventures whenever I am traveling solo, my cell phone is my best friend.

The taxi driver is my next best friend. Knowing my destination contact, if there is one, is my number one best friend. So I call ahead to where I am going and make an arrangement re time and place of my arrival. I make sure that at least someone is ready to receive me. When I jump into a taxi, I call my contact and then give my cell phone to the driver who in turn navigates his/her way to my destination. Done deal. 

Having taught survival language to newcomers who arrive in an English language environment, I have taught myself to reverse the process for myself and so I write down into a pocket-sized notebook the words and phrases that I need for survival language in Thai. So, if there is no technology available, at least I can draw pictures (a picture is worth a thousand words), point N-S-E-W, use body language, use "mmm" with tone of voice to express questioning, understanding, agree/disagree. Find a guide and/or translator and pay for the service. Stay at a B&B and get info from the host. Be resourceful in how I am going to get to where I am going -- point A to point B.

May I advise, if you don't have any of the Thai language phrases or international linguistic survival strategies, well, imagine your trying to give directions to a visitor who comes to your native country. Giving directions between languages is not an easy task. It is linear so we need repetition to clarify. So, we are all kind of clumsy when we expect a citizen of our host country to understand our "bla bla bla" as we look to our interlocutor face to face.

That said, if you can mentally project yourself into the shoes of "you the traveler" and into the shoes of the "him/her the welcoming host" . . . well, you can see that you may need to develop some inter-language traveling strategies and, yes, learn the ways and customs of being polite and respectful. "Where there is a will, there is a way."  Good luck and travel safely.

Anyway, this is only based on my personal experience and my take on the questions raised in this forum. Bottom line? Good luck and travel safely . . . dcb

I find google GPS is great. for roads and such..  Buildings and business leave a bit to be desired.....