Flights into POP

HI there,

Does anyone know what's happened to the airport in Puerto Plata?  It seems that for 2019 there are no direct flights coming in from Europe, only the US and Canada.  Yet Punta Cana and SDQ no problem.  Who on earth wants to take a taxi and pay some 250$ and spend another 3-5 hours on the road after a long flight!
The US has these crazy Visa regulations that even if you are in transit for 2-3 hours you must have a visa-ok I can live with that -just about, although as most airports operate a "quarantine system" when in transit.  Added to the fury is the US do not operate an online application for C1 visas if you are for example Russian-to name but one of many countries.  You have to go to the nearest embassy for a formal interview with al your papers- for us a days ride away.  Crazy.  The good news is the Canadians have applied common sense and you can apply online for a transit visa-even if you are Russian!  I fully understand the issues about  security, having been a director of Belfast International airport during the "troubles" but why do the US not ensure that their airports for transit passengers are quarantined, like in EU.
Coming back to my original point, what on earth is happening to POP?  I hope someone might have some positive news to bring to the table.  Thanks

Ducketts

It's supply and demand my friend. That simple.

Charters don't have itineraries that don't make money!