Should I buy a studio flat in Hurghada?

Hello

Ive joined this site after reading a post. I'm a British woman looking to buy a studio or an apartment in hurghada within the next 12 months. I can't afford to get on the property ladder in the UK which is frustrating. Ive decided I will buy abroad so at least I own a home. Why Egypt? Ive travelled here and fell in love with the place. The price of property seems a lot cheaper than most places.

I'm looking for advice as I have seen a property priced at £15000 part of a resort of some kind. Any advice will be appreciated TA

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please + post your offers in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@lalamunns

Please post your real estate in the housing section, top of this page.

I did, sorry if I shouldn't have posted directly here.

Hi

I have previously lived in Hurghada and also owned a flat there.

Buying property in Hurghada is cheap but it is also a minefield with so many scams and crooks operating there.

I would advise you to NOT buy a property off plan or one under construction as they often do not complete the developments or go bust. There have even been occasions where someone that is not the owner of a flat has sold it and then of course the real owner comes to take it back.
When you buy an existing property you can check with other owners about the upkeep of the apartment building, ongoing costs, security etc.

I would advise buying an existing property with a Green Contract. The Green Contract is your safe guard. It is more expensive buying a flat with a green contract but well worth it as it is a registered property and ownership is proven.
I am sure you have heard many horror stories about people being ripped off, flats being sold to multiple people and so on.
You also have to be careful which lawyer you use as some are in cahoots with the seller of the property.

Another thing to consider is being able to sell the property down the track. It can take a long time to sell a flat and then of course getting your money back out of Egypt is difficult... more so now than when I left.

I don't know if you use Facebook but if you do I can give you links to Expat pages in Hurghada where you can ask about property ownership etc.

I have a very good trustworthy Lawyer in Hurghada and am happy to give you his details at any time.

I hope this helps :)

Hi.  Thank you for your advice.  I would be interested to have your lawyer's contact details.  My email is ***. Thank you.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I'm sending you a private message with the details :)

My email is

Contact details are not allowed on the open forums for your own safety, something especially important on a thread that estate/property agents are likely to be reading in order to save you from spam and scams.

Hi

I have noticed how, the cost of everyday living, have gone up, even though I am not a permanent resident yet, with each return, I find I am paying more, which I was told, by a store owner, it is mainly due, to the exchange rate.

With an issue of sorting, true and honest helpers, with those who are lining their pockets, such as the property tax, in Hurghada, where has a none resident, I as do others, rely, upon local solicitors, to advice and help.

So why are some solicitors, contacting foreign property owners, claiming they need, to re-registers their property, for a new property tax id number, for a large fee, with so many conflicting answers, what is the truth and what can, I and other foreign property owners do or go, to find the truth and not be ripped off, that we end up discouraged and keeping, other potential investors, friends and family away.

It is a shame, there is no one or place, where clear answers or help, maybe easily found and available.

Hi  Meg,

Has you may have read, I have purchased an apartment, which took 5 years, to be completed, a new apartment, in a great area and country, Makadi Bay/Heights, however, it is smaller than I had thought, especially, once furnished, I had to do a lot, of renovation, due to some poor workmanship,  such has electric, plumbing and tiling, it cost slightly more than your budget.

I found everyone was helpful, such has an agent, the builders/developers and the solicitor, however, after I had purchased or paid, then I had little help, from the agent and the builders/developers, however, the solicitor, was more than willing for a fee, that at times, was more than fair fee, such as paying property tax, for which, I am trying to sort, after 7 years, owning the apartment.

It is true Hurghada, Egypt, is a great place, to visit and maybe to live, it is cheap, regarding the cost of living, coming from the UK, I would advice, if you have not already done so, spend a couple of weeks, on holiday, checking out accommodations and the cost of putting it together, the cost of maintaining it too.

So far 2 weeks holidays, have been cheap, that I have spent, around £750.00p, each time on holiday, which covers a lot, in Uk and in Egypt, this also includes, hiring a car, which makes being a owner, the best solution, for getting around, especially, has transport can be expensive and a rip off, has with many things, if you are not strong enough, to let people know, they can not rip you off.

Hence, my hope to sort, my tax issue, especially, has I feel, I was conned and was given no option, when the complex, where my apartment was, started charging a community fee, even though it was in the contract, but I was assured, they would not enforce, until they had financial issues, that allowed for some help, from other apartment owners, has we are now forced, to pay the community charge, so check all cost and expenses and be aware, when they may claim, they will not charge.