Life as a female expat in Malta

Hello,

While moving to a new country and discovering new cultures is definitely an exciting adventure, everybody experiences it differently. It can be particularly different for women, in both positive and negative ways.

What are some positive aspects about being a female expat in Malta?

What are some challenges in Malta that women face, and what are the ways to overcome them?

How is a woman's role viewed in Maltese's culture and society?

Is it relatively safe for a woman to live in Malta?

How would a woman go about expanding her social network in a safe way?

Are there any resources available for women to help with their expatriation (e.g. books, articles, support networks, etc.)?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

As a single woman in Malta, it is absolutely essential to be conspicuously associated with or ‘endorsed' by a male companion, be he a relative or otherwise, that is, in order not to be overcharged for everything - indeed - to be taken seriously at all.

Fionn wrote:

As a single woman in Malta, it is absolutely essential to be conspicuously associated with or ‘endorsed' by a male companion, be he a relative or otherwise, that is, in order not to be overcharged for everything - indeed - to be taken seriously at all.

rubbish, I am not married to my partner - most people/companies have no clue at all she has a partner, never come across anything at all like this.

Positive aspects of being a female expat in Malta:
1. If you like the attention from males - the more uncovered your body - the more attention you will get on the street, bus stop, shopping... 

2.  Men are more likely to help you with carrying heavy objects to your car, especially at the shops.

Challenges in Malta that women face and ways to overcome them:

1. May a times women are not taken seriously especially by blue-collar men - employing/dealing with a a tradesman can be very difficult. Solution - do not waste your time and try to find someone more open-minded. In extreme cases ask your partner/friend/acquaintance to help you out if you really need to use the services of the said person.

2. Very often women are objectified.

How is a woman's role viewed in Maltese's culture and society:

1. Kitchen, children, house. Women also do it for themselves. An acquaintance of mine with Layer's Diploma was proudly posting on social media that she managed to clean her house as a good housewife  :|
2. Men are "bosses".   

Is it relatively safe for a woman to live in Malta:

1. Nothing ever happened to me, but I am not an adventurous type.
2. Some of my friends ended up dragged during partying in PV.

How would a woman go about expanding her social network in a safe way:
1. Do not trust every met person.

Resources available for women to help with their expatriation:
1. Expat "clubs" and networking meetings, but not for women only

Hi Priscilla thanks for the info all about women,just to let you know I have 7 sisters and godfather to another 20 as my sisters daughters have had baby's,and iam godfather to them as well.
Iam coming to Malta for a quite life I Hope ?? I have already see a few homes I like to buy and I have been in touch with a Interior designer I have sold my Business in UK only thing holding me back now is my mum she is 90 years old and not keeping well and my cat Tina is 18 years old I don't know what she would be like in warm country she likes to lie in the greenhouse and sleep 💤 so I will have to have 1 built for her.
Anyway nice to hear from you hope everything is going well for you in Malta I hope to be over soon.

Priscilla is an adviser living in Mauritius, not Malta, having a lot of female relatives really has nothing to do with the topic.

By far Malta is safe country for every one. Officially men & women are treated  equal with no discrimination at job places provided one qualifies for it.

Generally for a foreign national in any country of the world may it be men or female takes time until one learns local language, slangs and other local quotes, idioms, old sayings of that country for a free flow conversation or mingle up in the party of locals.

It is common in every country a new person first will only get comfortable with people of its own country and than gradually brick by brick build its own buddy's group.

Generally people talk of difficult moments about females but my opinion is respect or taken easy both depend upon the behaviour, body language and conduct of the female.

Current youth or early middle age persons are not highly skilled. One's respect, fear, image of the person comes with high skills and dignified conduct.

If a females during talk uses abusive or too much slang than the response will be same.

In general life is like a mirror and whatever, is put in front of mirror it reflects the 100 % same image.

Life has every thing for every one so it depends how one projects itself may it be men or women