Banking in Zimbabwe

Hi
Living in UK, Can I open a bank account in Zimbabwe?
I am not a citizen of Zimbabwe.
Thanks

Hi,

I am a Belgian citizen living in Bulawayo for close to 5 years now. I do not have my own bank account, my wife (who is Zimbabwean) has... We (well, basically my wife...) has an account with Nedbank (ex-MBCA) and we managed to open another one with Stanbic just last week. (That took just over a month I believe and my wife is a local, indigenous black Zimbabwean... All forms to open accounts with banks request the name of the employer and since I'm in the country with a spousal visa I'm not allowed to take up employment. When I worked in SA and Botswana before, the only way I could open a bank account there was with a valid work permit and a contract from a local employer. SO Zimbabwe is not different in that regard...

I believe your understand how difficult the banking situation in Zimbabwe is right now so I hope at least you don't expect to be able to use that local account to send money to the UK? 5 years ago we could still transfer money to Belgium (with FBC) without any questions asked, but that is the past :,-( I'm afraid your only chance to open an account here is when you succeed to become officially registered as foreign investor. And that will cost you at least $2,500...

Let's see what others have to say on this topic!

Best regards,

Jan