Legal services in Hungary

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in Hungary.

What types of legal services might an expat need in Hungary?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Hungary? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

What types of legal services might an expat need in Hungary?

I would think that immigration and rental contract legal services would be the most common topics most expats might need.

For those that want to buy property in Hungary, an attorney is required to process the purchase.

Priscilla wrote:

Are legal services easily accessible?

Yes. Many speak English.

Priscilla wrote:

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Hungary? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

The US Embassy maintains a list of attorneys in Hungary:

https://hu.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … attorneys/

But that is only a list. Gives no indication of the level of competence of any on the list. If one can get a referral from someone who has worked successfully with an attorney, that is always good (same with an auto mechanic, doctor, dentist, etc.). But if one can not, then one must do some shopping around. And fire those that don't get results and move on to another as needed.

Priscilla wrote:

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

There are some free legal aid services in Hungary, but most (probably all) are not available to expats.

Last time I needed an attorney, the prices started from about 30,000 HUf (100 EUR) an hour. You can maybe get cheaper, but they are probably not competent (a comment I make from personal experience). The upper prices has no bounds. International business or tax attorneys may charge many times that amount per hour, for example.