MM2H with 3 kids

Hi all,

We're a family with 3 kids currently living/working in HK (originally from UK).  We're already on the MM2H scheme and are looking to move to either KL or Penang in he near future. 

We live relatively cheaply even in HK, though as we'll be giving up work when moving to Malaysia, our major concern is ensuring we can cover costs - particularly schooling - once we move. 

Does RM 25k per month seem like a realistic allowance for a moderate lifestyle with 3 kids in international school?  Appreciate this wouldn't be lavish (we don't choose to live lavishly!), and we are not looking at tier 1 international schools, but rather somewhere where they'll be happy and receive a good level of education. 

Any advice on this would be much appreciated, as knowing exactly when to take the plunge is the biggest challenge at the moment!

On a side note...  if someone comes to Malaysia under MM2H, is there anything to stop them switching to a business/work visa at a later point in time and opening a business?  I realise this would mean forfeiting MM2H, but is there anything actually preventing such a change?

Thanks!

Yes that's a reasonable budget but a lot will depend on your choice of accommodation.

On MM2H it is possible to incorporate a business and be an investor in that business so not receive a salary, just profits. As the investor, no work permit is applicable. This does imply you would be employing people to run the business. It's worth checking with a bank about business accounts as this is can be a bit complex and a MM2H holder can't open a business banking relationship.

The rule has been, if the MM2H is given up it cannot be applied for again.

Having lived in both KL and Penang I would thoroughly recommend the latter, also for overall cost and business potential reasons.

With the new government in place there are lots of positive changes in Malaysia and some in immigration area - so "watch this space"

Thanks Gravitas, that's very useful to know.  What's your basis for recommending Penang over KL?  Does Penang have fairly good options for expats in terms of education?  We are tempted by Penang, partly because (per my understanding), the minimum property purchase price for MM2Hers is only 500k, as opposed to 1m+ elsewhere.

There are excellent schools on Penang Island and a good sized expat community. It still has a very village atmosphere and is a progressive society. The surroundings are beautiful and locals very friendly. There are lots of wet market and fresh local produce.

I doubt you will find much you would want to buy for under RM1 million - so in some ways its a bit of a red herring. Do be aware of the hidden costs of purchasing property in the State of Penang.

Fairview IS may be worth a check and generally housing is cheaper in the southern half of the island (with the commerce hub being Queensbay Mall).  However, the main expat community is north of George Town.

If your kids speak Mandarin then local private schools are a cheaper option.

Re working - this may interest you https://www.penangmyhome.com/mm2h-work-permit-malaysia

Thanks, I was just looking at their website actually!  We're planning a trip in the near future to look at the housing options...  with rental prices so reasonable I'm not set on buying, but if we found something we liked we might consider.  Coming from HK however, even for 500k I think we could find something 4 times the size of most apartments here, and a fraction of the price!

This portal www.iproperty.com.my is quite good to browse. Also www.propertyguru.com.my

I would definitely suggest renting for a year or more before getting locked into property. There are lots of road and transport developments slated so best to be extra vigilant these days.

You may find joining Facebook groups in Penang helpful for information and contacts. The groups are Penang Expat Women and Partners in Penang for residents and Expats in Penang. There is an MM2H group as well.

Oh thanks, very helpful, will look into those!

On a separate note, does anyone know if volunteerin is allowed under MM2H?  I know over 50s are allowed to work part time in some cases (we are under 50 ourselves), but I can't find any concrete information on volunteerin and whether this is allowed. Thanks!

Yes there are lots of charitable organisations which are supported by people on MM2H in various ways. Mainly its to do with fundraising within the expat community and helping provide practical assistance say in supporting education, health care etc. Both lay and pro assistance is always welcome. There are also Soup Kitchen activities alongside the Buddhist community. Plenty of opportunities. It is viewed more as community service.

Change to property rules in Penang

https://www.malaymail.com/s/1649231/pen … ign-buyers

Hi Frugali / MM2H family,

Likewise here, family with 3 kids. :)

We got approval email on April 25, 2018. It says in the letter that we must get the visa within 6 months. The letter had a hand written date of 22 March 2018 but we got the email approval on April 25, 2018; weird.

I emailed MM2H many times but they don't seem to always respond; and ignore and the Malaysian embassy in USA has absolutely NO idea about MM2H, which is really very disappointing and we were put off for these reasons for months.

We are in USA and HSBC Bank told us if we create account in USA, then we can remotely create the MM2H required fixed deposit account in Malaysia.

We obviously sat on it for few months because of the lack of communication mentioned above as well as because we had a newborn in June (3rd child) and now we are thinking about visiting Malaysia for a week to finally decide if we really want to move.

Any suggestions is HIGHLY appreciated.

Thank you Soo much in advance.

So what's there to query?  Nothing is weird in Malaysia. It's just how things work - very fluid. To live in Malayasia, this needs to be appreciated - everything goes at a slow  (relaxing) pace and email is a very poor means of communication usually. People actually speak here to sort things out. English is not the main language in immigration and elsewhere, so misunderstandings can take place. The local English is quite different from other places.

There is no elevated status to being approved for MM2H. It's purely an immigration benefit. The rest is up to you to sort out.  The best location which has most expats and MM2Hers is Penang Island. Schooling is obviously going to be an expensive issue in Malaysia with 3 children. It's cheaper in Penang and high standard. Penang Island is a majority Chinese Malaysian environment and everyone is aware of the focus on education in that ethnic group.

Usually (sorry to use that word often but exceptions can happen) if the MM2H is not completed within 6 months (whichever date, but take the earlier one to be on the safe side) it lapses and there cannot be another application. Take it or leave it. It's up to you.

If there is no fire in the belly to live in Asia, it's not going to suddendly ignite. It's second world, inefficient by some western standards, chaotic to the uninitiated, slow, casual and unpredictable. But that is the utter charm of the place. Money is very secondary to the benefits if you fall in  love with the country/region.

It's possible to fix all the finalizations in 24 hrs once in Malaysia, i.e. medical, purchasing health insurance, placing the FD is bank of choice (local ones pay higher interest than HSBC usually). Getting the bond form stamped (if you have made a personal application) is probably the most tiresome bit, having to get it stamped at a LHDN (tax) office.  Then its a train ride down to Putrajaya with paperwork (plus copies which they will keep on their records).

All done. Then a relaxing, warm, friendly environment awaits (but possibly not so good in KL)

Wow. Thanks a LOT for your detailed response!!!

We kind of want to live in Kelantan or somewhere similar religious areas.

Schooling will be done exclusively online and so no worries here.

Can you please advise about living in Kelantan area?

Also can you please also tell me how much monthly it may cost for Health and Dental insurance?

You said we can do most of the things in 24 hours -- this gives me hope!!!

Thanks!!!

Expats don't live in Kelantan*. Shah Alam is a similar religious area where Muslim families live nearer to KL. There are pockets which are majority Islamic such as Putrajaya (because of the government offices) but generally Malaysia has a liberal feel to it.

The health insurance available through local companies is just covering hospitalization and preliminaries to that type of treatment

*Kelantan has huge social problems with drugs and is known for being very represssive (even by Islamic standards). There are a couple of expat lecturers at the universities.