Dealing with loneliness in Italy

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Italy?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Italy?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

You can join "Internations.org" they have events all over Italy, also "Meetup.com" have weekly meetups on all kinds of subjects.
Ciao Bruce.

Language barrier is a real thing in Italy so you might need to brush up on your language skills or it's going to be difficult.
Search online (especially facebook) for activities you are interested in. Churches (if u are religious) are good places to begin.
Try sports and maybe weekend tours, movies, going to the park, taking walks, just keep yourself busy.

Hi
It was a dream of me and my Tommy to move to Italy. I would like to preserve that dream BUT without him it would be difficult, as I had remained behind in Rome for a week taking a language course and I cried when he left without me. It didn't seem possible. There I was in my dream city--but all ALONE. I even cut the course short as I couldn't bear to be without him, he so loved it there. I would say if you have some language skills in Italian it would be of great advantage but even more so a companion. I could not move without a close friend. I could visit short term as that would be difficult enough. I could only visit museums, sites, etc., so many times. Rome, is a city of "roman"ce. I can't imagine after our many visits over the years I could ever make a permanent move without him. Don't even get me started about eating alone in one of the many wonderful ristorante.The richest history in the world is up and down that boot.  In my opinion, I'm not sure Italy is the same anymore with all the immigration turmoil. I fear the culture is declining.

siciliangirl wrote:

Hi
It was a dream of me and my Tommy to move to Italy. I would like to preserve that dream BUT without him it would be difficult, as I had remained behind in Rome for a week taking a language course and I cried when he left without me. It didn't seem possible. There I was in my dream city--but all ALONE. I even cut the course short as I couldn't bear to be without him, he so loved it there. I would say if you have some language skills in Italian it would be of great advantage but even more so a companion. I could not move without a close friend. I could visit short term as that would be difficult enough. I could only visit museums, sites, etc., so many times. Rome, is a city of "roman"ce. I can't imagine after our many visits over the years I could ever make a permanent move without him. Don't even get me started about eating alone in one of the many wonderful ristorante.The richest history in the world is up and down that boot.  In my opinion, I'm not sure Italy is the same anymore with all the immigration turmoil. I fear the culture is declining.

You're absolutely right!    Without a special someone,  the  loneliness in this country is devastating.   Yes..the culture and tradition is sinking badly.

You're absolutely right!    Without a special someone,  the  loneliness in this country is devastating.   Yes..the culture and tradition is sinking badly.

I'm just disappointed that actual expats have succumbed to the populist tactic of scapegoating immigrants when they only form 1-2% of the population, nowhere near enough to cause the so-called cultural degradation they're blaming on relatively few migrants.

Well, according to Wikipedia ..its over 8 %.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Italy

The 8% covers everyone including EU citizens, migrants from North and South America as well East Asia. The boat people, while very visible for obvious reasons, are nowhere near as many as us, the typical expat.com member.

Which brings me back to the topic at hand, dealing with loneliness. Has anyone tried befriending these migrants especially considering how many Italians are locked into their social circles from their school days? I have. I befriended a young Senegalese migrant and it has greatly enriched my life in many ways. They are easier to get to know than actual Italians.

Hi I am yet to arrive in Italy but I am travelling with my fur baby so have a constant companion! I am looking forward to learning the language, to engage and make friends with locals.  I feel it may be very easy (and comfortable) to tap into the expat community but also want to engage there to hear & learn more about people moving to and living la dolce vita.  We move to a foreign country for a reason don't we? My goal is to be able to engage with & speak the language fluently within 6 months. Fingers crossed I don't wimp it and go home.

Dolve vita?
That was THEN.
Janin

Italy is NOT at ALL Dolce Vita.