Bulgaria sun skin

For people with caucasian / northern european genetic origins, often meaning - light brown blonde or ginger hair, blue or green eyes, fairer skin, freckles.....

...Is it a struggle to live in Bulgaria April through September due to the sun being too hot?

Perhaps requiring lots of indoors time and shade, limited outdoors time especially during the days hottest hours, big rimmed hats, long sleeves and turned up collars?

To be honest, for anyone living here you have to be careful, we personally dont go out sunbathing in the hottest part of the day, no one should.....when you have lived here for a while you dont go out in it we stay indoors until its cooler.......The locals dont do anything in the heat of the day...so follow them.

Thanks Bullador.

Presumably in Bulgaria the locals who have full time jobs have to go out and be active throughout the hottest part of the day, as is also so in hot places across the planet.

(And in winter if there is a foot or more of snow, presumably they also have to try to get to work then also)

??

I dont know about locals in the city as I live in a village and all the people here get up very early and do their work in a morning before the sun is at its hottest, then we never see them as they stay indoors, and come out again in the afternoon when its cooler.

Yes in winter its not often things stop here, but on occassions it has when the roads are impassable...........

Do most village people tend to work within the village, or do some also commute daily to work in larger towns?

Also, can March and October be warm/hot in Bulgaria, leaving only November December January and February when its guaranteed to be cool or cold or very cold?

I have dark olive skin. I have been predominantly outdoors in BG for over a month now and do not use any sun block.  I am slightly tanned. 

If i stay outdoors in the summer in England, i will burn within one hour. I'm sure air pollutants play a part.

In BG you can comfortably wear a hat, in UK wearing a face mask is uncomfortable. Also, i think it is now illegal to cover your face.

PottyPolly wrote:

I have dark olive skin. I have been predominantly outdoors in BG for over a month now and do not use any sun block.  I am slightly tanned. 

If i stay outdoors in the summer in England, i will burn within one hour. I'm sure air pollutants play a part.

In BG you can comfortably wear a hat, in UK wearing a face mask is uncomfortable. Also, i think it is now illegal to cover your face.

Thanks Polly thats interesting.

Would you also say that the sun stings the skin more in England than Bulgaria even though it is hotter and sunnier in Bulgaria?

Im not olive skinned, it would be better, but i am pinker skinned and tan bronze rather than brown like olive skin.

Usually back  here in the Uk, I think most of us end up with rust colour after a long rainy season...,never mind, as it all washes off ready for the camouflage against bitter February's / March /April / May snow !

mountainview wrote:

Would you also say that the sun stings the skin more in England than Bulgaria even though it is hotter and sunnier in Bulgaria?

I can only speak for myself but....  I have to cover my skin more in UK.  I don't know why but i experience more burns from UV exposure in UK than in BG.

Yesterday was very warm in middle england where i am, clear blue skies no wind but humid somehow also. very uncomfortable to be in the sun for long.

i have noticed when its summer and sunny with blue skies and a cold/cool wind like it was for a few days last week the sun seems a lot brighter and more dazzling when outside, not sure why.

When abroad to drier arid and sunnier destinations i was surprised at how the sun felt less burning stingy prickly than in gb. Maybe its a lingering air moisture issue, or lack of ozone concentration related.

Is it getting too hot and sunny there in Bulgaria yet to be outdoors any time during the day?
When did you last see a cloud or rain?

It has been rainy and cool in Gabrovo for at least two weeks now... so the more appropriate question would be when's the last time I saw the sun... :)

kojidae wrote:

It has been rainy and cool in Gabrovo for at least two weeks now... so the more appropriate question would be when's the last time I saw the sun... :)

"Cool" as in less than 20 degrees Celsius in the shade during the day time?

:)

Right around 20 degrees (sometimes a few degrees less, sometimes 1-2 more)... and there is no sunshine, so everything is in shade...