Possible Move to Kuwait and I am petrified!!!

Hi All,

My Husband is currently being interviewed for a job in Kuwait! It would mean moving with our two children, daughter aged 10 and son aged 18 months. The company have suggested the British School for our Daughter, can anyone give me any advice on this, and where we should look at living? Also, what on earth am I going to do all day???

Thanks Emma x

Been here for 3 weeks, trailblazing just waiting for the family to join me this coming summer (2 girls 8 & 6)

Yep, it will be a change for you and the little ones, but I wouldn't worry too much.

From what I've seen it's gonna be more difficult to settle your affairs back home (wherever that is) than getting organized here.

Is you husband coming before you? He should scout the place out for the family

British school of Kuwait is the best i feel.since the school is located in salwa,you may choose to live in salwa,salmiya,mishref or jabriya.these areas are closer to the school,just2-5minutes drive.

here there is a british ladies society,they have morning coffee or breakfast gathering specified on their website theblskuwait.com/.you will be able to meet other ladies from Britain and hangout with them sometime.

Focoloco - The plan is that if he gets through the next telephone interview the company will fly him out for face to face, places to live and school tours. He would then be on a 90 day probation period. It would seem sensible for us not to join him until the probation period is over????

Ace117 Thank you for that information. Are Salwa, Salmiya, Mishref and Jabriya the main expat areas??

I really appreciate all your help x

Em, i would suggest the best school for your children as The English School, located in Salmiya. The reason being that school has the highest ratio of British expat kids (thats why it was established almost 50 or so years ago), on top of that, the school has excellent facilities, high caliber teachers, and a very village-like atmosphere (350 students tops), the only problem is it only goes up to year 8, but since your eldest is 10 u still have time :)

90 day probation period is just standard operating procedure, u still get paid for those 3 months, and i think they also count towards ur end of service benefits, so its just protocol. dont worry.

as to what u will do, sky's the limit really, ur limited by your imagination. theres the Ladies Who Do Lunch in Kuwait, theres also a theatre that is always in need of volunteers (i found out some expat moms who are housewives spend their time there).

i would suggest you not worry. take it easy, relax, get to kuwait, indulge in shopping (its a retail world here), and then use this website to find activities to do etc.

plus, TES has an active PTA environment, so u could always keep a close eye on the kids :)

Em, on my offer is to have my family visit during the probation period.
It is not only me that has to like it here so yes, if you can visit during the probation I would probably recommend it.
If your husband comes first he gets a chance to explore around and make sure that when you get here you love it, not hate it (tip: your 10yo would probably love the aquarium)

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate all the advice, I know it must be frustrating for you to be asked all the same questions time and time again. (although I have taken note not to ask about salaries ;))

I have been doing some research on Teaching English as a foreign language. Although my own work experience is not in teaching, I was thinking that the course may be something to occupy me whilst hubby is on Probation. Although I am a mother to little ones, I am the sort of person who cant just sit at home or just shop all day! Do any of you know whether there are likely to be opportunities for me to do some teaching in Kuwait if I have the certificate? Are there laws regarding the type of visa I have and whether I can work??

Starting to feel quite exited now rather than petrified!!! :D

Em x

no, so long as u are a resident, u can have a job, even on a visit visa (but thats strictly down-low coz its actually illegal, but companies do it all the time).

i dont think they hire people here for part-time, u may try giving tuitions or something?

id get a feel for the country first before diving head first into the job market :)

Emma,

I'm an American Expat here in Kuwait. You have absolutely nothing to be worried about as far as your safety. As far as your children...........well, it's not really fair for me to make an assessment as I don't have my children with me; I have no idea what the schools are like in Kuwait.

The only time you need to worry about your safety?.......walking across the street and/or getting behind the wheel of a vehicle. The Kuwaiti people are nuts, when it comes to driving; there are NO rules of the road in Kuwait. Imagine yourself driving a car on the NASCAR circuit............that's driving in Kuwait. If you're crossing the street, you better look about a 1/2 mile down the road(at oncoming traffic).

Back to your safety. When you're in a foreign country, you should ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. Be alert and make sure you know WHO'S around you. You should NEVER go out alone(in unfamiliar areas and/or in the dark(night)), as a female; I'm referring to ANY foreign country, not just Kuwait.

With that said, Kuwait can be a very pleasant place to live. As a married, geographical-bachelor, I haven't found a lot of extracurricular activities to do in Kuwait. If you like shopping malls and spending money, this is the place for you. If not, you may have trouble finding "inexpensive" things to do in Kuwait.

Good Luck,

Michael

there are more expat areas.but i would recommend the ones i listed above since those will be closer to the school and some of these - salmiya, mahboula,mangaf,fintas.

Thanks @hunterby example and @Ace117 the advice has been most gratefully received!

It seems that I would be better arranging the School Bus service for my daughter!! :/

Anithing you feel like doing

Hi , I m a teacher at the French school of Kuwait .. And being in this field I have an idea about the top rated english schools in KUWAIT : you have new English school , british SCHOOL of KUWAIT and KUWAIT english SCHOOL . These are the top rated English school in Kuwait .. As for you being a native speaker gives you a lot of chances to find a teacher job . If u want to we can keep in touch to give you some ideas ex..
Good luck

Yes , that is very famouis well reputed school