Canadian moving to Kuwait...what to bring?

Hi!
I'm moving to Kuwait from Toronto in August. Anyone have tips on what to bring or what to expect, I'm more concerned about what electronics are allowed; I have an ipad, laptop, etc. How is the internet there?  I hear Kuwait is a very quiet and conservative country. Should I stock up on books and dvds? Any info would be great!

they wont confiscate your electronics, rest assured :)

u can download anything u need here, to kill boredom etc. but if u play ur cards right, u should not be bored all night.

teaching?

Legacy - Yes, I will be teaching! Thank you for the assurance.

MKC, no problem :) u'll enjoy it, there are plenty of teachers flocking about on expat-blog as is, + thru http://q8scorpions.com/ u can join a social that will make your stay here more pleasurable, if ur into full contact sport :P (or u can just join as a social member, and enjoy parties and what not; send me a msg for more info if interested :D )

since ur moving here in August, do read the Ramadan post on the forum, as it will help u understand the culture a wee bit better

expect hot and dry weather,so you may take sun glasses and a hat with you.

Hi,

I would suggest that you bring with you a few teaching resources and manipulatives. Your school might be giving you an extra baggage allowance so you can make use of that. I found that teaching resources aren't as widely available in Kuwait as in Canada so I brought a few books and other resources with me.

There are a few bookstores though (here are some below):

Bookshops (other than the Virgin bookstore that you will find in Marina Mall in Salmiya):

Q8 books in Kuwait city: q8books.com/Q8B/eQ8home.asp

Al Muthana Kuwait bookshop in Al Muthana Complex in Kuwait City:  kuwaitagenda.com/en/shopping/general/704-best-bookshops-in-kuwait.html

Jarrir Bookstore: jarirbookstore.com/html/showrooms-kuwait.asp

As for DVDs, there are plenty of places that sell DVD copies. There is even a website where you can order what you'd like and they will deliver what you order: q8dvd.com/site/
The quality isn't too bad.

Hope your stay in Kuwait will be enjoyable :)

Legacy - I read your post on Ramadan, very informative. Thank you!

Ace - I appreciate the tips!

SaharEl - Thank you for the great information on teaching supplies.  I was just making a list of teaching materials I should bring. 

As for  manipulative and books, any suggestions on what is not available there. I have tons of teaching supplies, just don't want to bring everything with me.

I was told that Teacher's Cellar in Mishref is where most of the teachers buy their supplies, any idea if its any good?

emkaycee, I received your pm and responded.

take care

well MKC, what more can we add? SaharEl, both a fellow Canuck and teacher, will quell all your worries :)

the one thing to remember is ur travelling, so make sure to bring an open mind and lots of smiles.

also, think of the little things; u mentioned on one post that diet sugar, if ur in favor of a particular brand, stock up on that JiC. tanning lotion, some people have preferences, and most expats take it as their duty to tan whilst here.

some smokers I know prefer a certain brand of nicotine gum, not available here.

all in all, its the small things u will miss the most. so take this time to go thru a list of what those small things are and pack 'em up :)

hey!well, there's a lot of electronics here also.you can bring some books you can read coz when i was new here until now i didn't find any store book where i can buy my favorite book to read.bring something you want to bring.except liquiors.hehehe coz its not allowed here.
have a good trip going here in kuwait..

You will find everything in Kuwait if you search hard enough