Vehicle with yellow number plates

Hi
What is the requirements to buy a vechile with yellow number plates?
Can any foreigner buy such a vechile?

Hi Ansie
I'm actually interested to buy a yellow plate car.
Can you give me your experience?

Can you please explain, what is a vehicle with yellow plates?

Yellow plates car is a foreign car from egypt.
It is a car imported from abroad which was exempt from customs duties.
This has been allowed by the government to boost the auto market.
However, this type of vehicle is subject to taxes every 6 months. According to my research these taxes do not apply to diplomatic personnel as well as to employees of an oil company.
Otherwise these vehicles can in principle only be purchased by foreigners or egyptian have a foreign residence permit.
In fact it is allowed to drive with this vehicle in principle for a period of 6 months at the end of this period you are supposed to:

- leave the vehicle out of the country for an equivalent period

- or stored in a customs area for 6 months

- or according to some people renew the request by paying again the taxes which renews the possibility of driving with for 6 months.

All this information is only the fruit of my simple research and questioning with those around me and the seller of this type of vehicle.

The main advantage is that you will get a vehicle at a very low price given the constraints relating to it and the few people who can acquire it due to the constraints linked to having a nationality or a foreign residence permit.

However, I changed my mind here, the problems with second-hand vehicles are very common even among Egyptians, so what about us? good luck to all.

Thank you very much for the info Shajara. I have been researching on how to import a second hand car into Egypt the last few months. I think the yellow plates are those provided by import customs as part of the Carnet de passage or triplit as they call it in Egypt, but I could be wrong but it sounds the same process. To be honest, second hand car in the UK and I think in many other countries in Europe are generally in a relatively good condition (depending on the price and millage of course). But I personally would not trust previous Egyptian car owners as the concept of maintenance in Egypt is non existent (I am a transport Engineer and I can personally attest to this). But many thanks again on the info.

I read this recently on Egypt independent but I only see that it applies to Egyptian expats https://twitter.com/egyindependent/stat … 9unlPbcT0g