International vs. Spanish State schools

Hello - my husband and I are hoping to move our family to the Costa del Sol within the next two years. Our sons are currently 6 and 7, shortly turning 7 and 8. One of the biggest concerns I have about moving to Spain is how difficult it will be for my sons to adjust. I think they are a bit too old to jump in to State Spanish school, as they don't speak any Spanish yet, though we are starting to teach them words here and there. (I'm a beginner too). However, the cost of the private system is equally concerning.

Any insight is welcome. ;)

I put my kids in public school in Castelldefels near Barcelona in the 1990s and they adjusted well, but at a young age it is a good idea to ask the teacher and administration how they are adjusting. My youngest son, who didn't know any Catalan, was staying by himself at patio (recess), until my daughter told me and I talked with the school administration, so they helped get him integrated.

Hi Heatherrrr,

Spain is a vibrant country and an ideal destination to experience a unique educational and cultural environment. With people famed for their hospitality, its lovely weather and astonishing culture, Spain boasts world-class facilities and prestigious schools.

Of course, when moving to Spain with your kids it's worth to consider that, certain regions (such as Catalunya, Basque Country, Galicia, and Valencia) have their own language/dialect and it is compulsory to learn all or some subjects in these languages at school. If you'd like your kids to keep studying in English while learning Spanish, then I recommend you to check one of the International schools listed on this page (https://world-schools.com/best-internat … -in-spain/ ).

The cost of a private, international education in Spain is somewhat less than other comparable European countries, with the bonus of being able to learn a language as important as Spanish while maintaining or improving the level of English.

I hope you will find this useful,

Bye KIA

We arrived in 2012, when our kids were 7 & 10 and put them into public schools.  If you goal is immersion and fluency in Spanish, I highly recommend public schools.  It is like throwing them in the deep end of the pool to learn to swim, but the rough part is over more quickly.  Kind of link just ripping the plaster off versus slowly removing it.   At those ages, they should be fine fitting in.  There is an adjustment period without a doubt. 

We consult people about moving to Spain and have helped hundreds move here, all with different education choices and reasons (homeschool, public, private, international, etc).  Those who have opted for the international schools have been disappointed with the level of Spanish speaking after a year.  So really know what your goals are for moving to Spain and what you want to accomplish.  This should then help drive you education choices as well.  Best of luck to you.