Biracial Family with Young Children Looking to Move to Spain

Hello!

My family and I are interested in moving to Spain from Las Vegas, NV. We have 2 daughters ages 5 and 11. We are also a biracial family (I am Hispanic and my husband is Mexican and African American). I worry that we may not be accepted, especially our daughters. Does anyone have any insight to how my kids would be treated around town and in a public school? Also, does anyone have any recommendations of areas that are most accepting of biracial families? There are so many things to consider it's a bit overwhelming. I'm also interested in the cost of living. Would it be feasible to live off of around $5000 - $6000 a month in a place like Barcelona? Thank you so much for your help!!

NoelStarks wrote:

Would it be feasible to live off of around $5000 - $6000 a month in a place like Barcelona? Thank you so much for your help!!

Are you serious, or are you just trying to boast?

The average salary there is about 1400 Euro/month.  You could probably afford an international private school!

I'm definitely not trying to boast. In Las Vegas, Nevada it's very difficult for a family of 4 to survive off of $5000 per month. And that's living pretty frugal and not going out much! It would be wonderful to live somewhere more affordable!

Do you know anything about Malaga or Valencia? I really have no idea where to look at. Are there mixed race families anywhere or would we stick out? Thank you for your reply!!

HI
Check out a few groups:
Las Morenas de Espana
Melanin Madrid (Facebook)

I think you will find a vast network and lots of information....especially since many of the members are/ or have been teachers in the Spanish school system.

Welcome
Maria

I think you and your family would be welcome all over Spain!  Your budget should work all over too, but it all depends on your lifestyle of course.  We are a family of 4 and survive just fine in the south on $3k a month for the past 5 years, even with exchange rate fluctuations.  We shared our full budget for the first 19 months, every single penny on our blog.

Where ever you go in this world, you will find some sort racism and xenophobia (no matter what your colour of skin). I did find this article.

Hi, I think that you and your family will be welcome all over Spain. I am a foreigner living in Barcelona for more than 10 years and never had any problem. People here are very open and welcoming. You can easily live with 4000 or 5000 euros a month. With this budget you can probably afford the American school for your children. Good luck and welcome to Spain.
Myriam

I have UK and Irish nationality I am white male and lived in Spain for 30 years.  My wife, 34 years younger than me,  is filipino and has lived here 12 years-

We have never been aware of any racist or hostile attitudes.  I am sure you will be very comfortable living here.

Not speaking Spanish can cause some difficulty but from what you posted you clearly speak Spanish, so no problem