Taking train from Schiphol Airport to Rotterdam

Hi All,

I need your advice on timing and logistics.

I will arrive at Schiphol airport at 7am on April 10. I need to take a train to Rotterdam. I found good ticket on https://www.goeuro.com/travel-search2/r … dw_bwg:on, the earliest train is 9:04am on April 10.

My questions are:

1). Should I pre-purchase the ticket or should I wait to purchase it at the airport when I am ready? Given I might not know how long it will take me to go get out, pick up my luggage, an pay for a phone plan. Last time I was at the airport, we were not able to use the ticket booth to get train ticket and many people had the same problem. I ended paying a lot for Uber. Will it be cheaper to pre-purchase?

2). Getting off the train: How much time do you generally have to get off the train? I have a 2 luggages, one carry one  and laptop bag. I am afraid if I won't have enough time to unload them, the train will leave with some of my stuff still on it. What should I do in such case when my luggages are still on the train?

Many thanks,

Lily

Hi Lily,

A pay-as-you-go SIM card for a phone can be purchased in many shops in Holland; this link may help you arrange to pick one up in arrivals at the airport while you are waiting for your luggage to come through.

My experience is that the queues for train tickets at Schiphol station can be very long.  To avoid the queues, you can pre-purchase your ticket online before you travel; this link will take you to the NS railways website that offers this service.  The ticket costs 15 euros and you can pay online with a credit card.

With regards to getting off the train; It's a 30-minute journey, the train conductor does make an announcement as the train is approaching the station, so you will get notice of your arrival.  Or, there are fold-down seats adjacent to the entry doors on most of the normal trains, perhaps use one of those.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you so very much, Cynic!