Enrolling kids in public schools

We are planning to move to Estepona from the US this summer with our 10 and 14 year old sons. We won't know where we are living until we get over there and find a rental. We have been told enrolling in public schools is difficult and not something we will simply be able to just do once we are there. But without having an address we don't seem to have a choice since the school will be dictated off home address.
Any tips or insight or real life info would be greatly appreciated.

What paperwork will we need to enroll them? We will have a work permit from Gibraltar and residency card to live in Spain is my understanding.

Thx

Jen

To be able to give advice subscribers would need to know more.   

You say you will be moving to spain but do not show under what rules that will be

If you are non EU nationals then you may not be granted Permiso de Residencia, which you will require to be able to ´mové to spain.

Also until you have that permission I assume your children would have no right to free education paid for by spanish tax payers

It has been quite a while since my US kids went to school in Spain, so I am not current on everything you might need. You will need vaccination records and transcripts from the US. The Spanish Vaccination schedule differs from the US. I think that vaccines were free when my kids were here, not sure if it has changed, but if so, it wil be much cheaper here that the US. Speak with the administration before school atarts and join APA, the Spanish version of the PTA, which will help you in getting used books, school supplies, and info on which teachers go the extra mile.

school is obligatory until the age of 16, so they will have to provide you a space somewhere.  You just missed the pre enrollment period in March.  When you arrive and have an address, you should be able to register them.  it may not be at the school closest to your home, but they  have to provide you a space.  So you may want to find out which schools have space when you arrive and then find a home in that area. it can all be tricky and frustrating to navigate.

Bring most recent report cards, vaccinations, passport photos and fill out their forms. you will also need to show your documents of residency as well.