Studying in Spain

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Spain?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Spain?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

Yes, I would recommend study in Spain. There is a large contingent of Americans studying at the University of Alicante. Tuition, at least for Spanish nationals, is inexpensive and the cost of living in Alicante is inexpensive. I am assuming that your interest is in learning Spanish. Similarly, when I was at the Technical university of Valencia there was an exchange program with a Florida University. I am not sure about whether there classes given in English. As for prestige, it depends somewhat on your area of study. You can look online at top 200 universities or Newsweek to find ratings. Keep in mind that a significant part of the rating is published research, and that countries that are struggling economically have less resources.

I suppose that the answer would be yes or no depending on the program, the school, and the individual's reason for attending. Personally, I attended a one year MA in Spain because I needed an MA to advance in a great job I already had in the U.S. I would not recommend the program itself to anyone who was truly interested in academics: I found the students (from many countries) to be less motivated than I was accustomed to in the highly competitive U.S. university I attended, and the program was incredibly disorganized. (To give some examples, there was no orientation, I didn't even know what my schedule was until I showed up the first day, I wasn't even told WHEN the first day of class was until a week before...chaos!) BUT, like I said, this may have just been this particular program and school. It met my needs, it was insanely affordable, and it gave me the chance to study abroad. Would I do it again? Probably. Who doesn't love living in Spain? Three years later, Im still here: I never went back to that awesome job in the States. :)

Thanks for the invite, but I have never study in Spain, I when to school in Puerto Rico, and lived in Tenerife for seven years but that is about it,
I got to ask, how is Mauritian? is it a nice place to visit?

It depends on what you want to get out of your time here. I'm not officially studying in Spain, but I am teaching here.  My primary goal for moving here was to perfect my Spanish.  If you want to improve your Spanish I would you say it would be a great idea, but an even better one to move to the country with the type of Spanish you wish to master.  Since I live in Los Angeles, I wish I went to Mexico instead for that reason.  However, Spain is in Europe and travel to nearby countries is a lot easier (to do often as well) and cheaper than coming all the way from the U.S. 

I am currently living in Madrid, but honestly I am not enjoying it as much as I wanted to.  My honeymoon phase with the city ended in less than a month.  It's like NYC, a cool place to visit, but in my opinion not one to live.  Most of the food is okay (especially compared to Northern Spain), the weather can get cold and the people aren't that friendly.  I notice that Americans and English people tend to segregate themselves in their own enclaves away from the Spaniard locals.  I live with Spanish roommates, but their at most my acquaintances, not my friends.  Most of the people I hang out with here in my free time are from the English Speaking World or Latin America.

I would consider doing research on the part of Spain you would consider living in.  Since being here I have often heard the region of Andalucia is praised for it's good and happy living.  Or perhaps even consider living in another country if you don't care about learning Spanish.  Although more expensive, Germany and France have a very nice standard of living as well.  But if you are committed to living in Spain for the experience, one semester should be sufficient.

I wouldn't recommend to study in Spain. The education system here is Spain is highly unstable especially for the postgraduate phase.

The quality of higher education is rather low comparing to other E.U. countries, especially to Germany, U.K. and Scandinavian countries. Since the beginning of the economic crisis, many professors lost their jobs in the public universities, lectures are now frequently given by the "amateures", e.g. one of my colleagues who teaches cryptography is from AI background, he has little understanding of security but was forced to give lectures by the administration.

The reputation of the Spanish universities are rather low in many fields. Unless you are looking at a career in architecture, journalism or Spanish literature, I think the return of investment is too low to come here and study

how would you  rate the education system for grades leading up to the university level?. Is there a town,city,district that offers superior education over the others?