MEDDEAS Public School Program

Has anyone heard of the public school Language Assistant program through MEDDEAS?   http://www.meddeas.com/public-schools-spain/   

I've read a lot of info about the program MEDDEAS has for language assistants in private schools, as well as public school programs through other organiations, but I can't find anything about the public school program other than what is provided on the website I pasted above.  If anyone has participated in this program or knows of someone that has, it would be great to hear about your/their experience.  Thanks!

Hi,
I found the same thing when I was offered the Public School Program by Meddeas - not a lot of information on it, which made me a little skeptical. I asked them for quite a lot of info before I made a decision, & it seems to be pretty much the same as the auxiliar de conversacion program (we're paid the same money, paid by the government etc.), but you pay Meddeas a fee which I guess is pretty much to act as the middleman and be your contact etc. essentially. I really wanted to go this year and all other applications were closed, so I bit the bullet and decided to just do it! If I wasn't in a rush, though, I probably would've just waited and applied directly for the auxiliar de conversacion program, which has no fees involved. In saying that, though, I have found Meddeas really helpful with everything so far. I don't have a lot of info to share at this point as I am just starting the process, but if you do decide to do it too, let me know as it'd be great to know someone else in the program :)

I was having a scout around to see if I could find anything and I came across this.

I only scanned through it but at first glance it looked to be a view from outside the organisation.

http://comoconsultingspain.com/teaching … n-program/

Hello!!
I just got accepted into this program for 2018-2019 school year as well and having the same problem haha! There are virtually no reviews online regarding the Meddeas program through the Public schools in Madrid STILL (I got denied for the private school program but then they said I could be in the public school program through them). Did you end up doing it??? Would love to hear your thoughts if so!! I have to send them the full 1250 euros in a couple days and that's a lot of money- but hopefully worth it and its great that you are guaranteed to be in Madrid instead of possibly getting a little town in Spain through the Ministry..
Any feedback appreciated!

Callie

Hello!! (I replied to the main thread but not sure if you get notifications for that one as well so I, replying to yours directly too)
I just got accepted into this program for 2018-2019 school year as well and having the same problem haha! There are virtually no reviews online regarding the Meddeas program through the Public schools in Madrid (I got denied for the private school program but then they said I could be in the public school program through them). Did you end up doing it??? Would love to hear your thoughts if so!! I have to send them the full 1250 euros in a couple days and that's a lot of money- but hopefully worth it and its great that you are guaranteed to be in Madrid instead of possibly getting a little town in Spain through the Ministry..
Any feedback appreciated!

Callie

Unless it has changed since I was excepted last summer, you will most likely be placed in a small town in the community of Madrid. I don't know if there is a possibility that she will be placed in the city of Madrid or not, which was part of the reason I decided not to go to Spain.

So, I obviously can't give you any recommendations since I never went LOL, but I'm pretty sure MEDDEAS is legit.   I think I'm still part of the Facebook group if you would like me to try and ask something there :D.   I did end up paying the 1250, and was given I believe 30% refund when I decided not to go. I hope this helps, and I'm sorry I don't have more information!

Hi Callie,
Sorry for my late reply. I did go through Meddeas and am currently here living in Madrid. So firstly, yes, Meddeas is definitely a legitimate organisation! All they really do in regards to the Public School Program, though, is get you the placement and help you in the beginning by organising your bank account, telling you how to book your TIE appointment etc. It's really up to you if you believe the amount you pay is worth it for that help. It certainly made navigating things at the start easier, but there are LOTS of auxiliar facebook groups out there that help with all of this stuff too. After that, you are an auxiliar de conversacion through the Comunidad de Madrid. Your pay rate is the same, your insurance...everything! You don't really have any contact with Meddeas and you are employed exactly the same as everyone who went directly through the Comunidad and didn't pay a fee.
In regards to placement locations - please don't think that because you have paid, you will be given a central location. My cohort were all given pueblos outside the city and nearly all of us commute for at least 1hr each way per day. My commute is almost 3 & a half hours round trip. In saying that, though, I could've lived closer to the town if I wanted to, but I wanted the experience of living in the city of Madrid - so I made the choice to do the long commute. What I found really interesting when I started was that because we start later, we are actually "replacements" for people that either dropped out or quit or whatever of the auxiliar de conversacion program. For example, at my school, they had an aux start in September (when the normal program starts) but she quit after 1 or 2 weeks because of the commute, and I was then assigned this school to replace her. So really, you could end up anywhere - it will be totally dependent on where the spots are available come mid-late Oct when Meddeas gets allocated them. Hopefully you get lucky and get somewhere more central :)
Regardless of whether you choose to go through Meddeas or directly through the Comunidad or whatever, I have no doubt you'll have a great experience if you choose to come to Spain! Hope this has helped clear some things up a bit...
Alisha

Hi! Does anyone here have updates on their experiences with Conversa Spain? I have heard that they only set up this year (2018) and I just received an offer too so it would be great to hear what you thought especially if anyone had a placement in Murcia?

@Alisha thanks for sharing about the support you got. I am wondering if the fee really is worth it for that, but I'm not sure I'll have any options to apply for to start in January so I may have to stick with it myself.

Hello! I am in it this year and have not moved over yet- check back in like 6 months lol! but yeah everything is all good so far!

PLEASSEE!! LET US KNOW... all good?

Hello, I have a couple of questions? I am considering this program and was wondering if the graduate stream they offer would be for me since I will be graduating with a bachelor's soon or is that for post grad students. I also was wondering if any of you have stayed with a host family or decided to stay on your own and find flatmates? The application says I would need to give a deposit of 800 something euros but others on this thread are giving 1,000? Does that apply to a major city?

Thank you!!