How to deal with stress when moving to Kuwait

Moving abroad is no easy feat. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, so we invite you to share some insights regarding this topic.

What are the main factors that contribute to stress when moving to Kuwait (cultural adaptation, moving with family, administrative and bureaucratic issues, language differences, etc.)?

What activities would you recommend to help deal with this type of stress?

What are some techniques that have helped you deal with stress?

Is there a way to avoid being stressed out or anxious when moving to Kuwait?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

really this is very good question
first of all when I moved to Kuwait I try to do my best to gain new friends
I also tried to know every where in Kuwait to visit to avoid to be alone because lonely in abroad is dangrause
also I go to gym and sea side

Here are some thoughts:

- Cultural: beyond the working hours, Kuwaitis rarely got anything to do with expats. Make sure you invest in making friends from other nationalities other than Kuwaitis.   Tip: To make friends, start with googling for social activities  like reading book clubs. Public speaking clubs are Toastmasters. More than 40 clubs are available in Kuwait. Join some of the volunteering socialites in Kuwait, such as INJAZ-Kuwait. 

- Cultural: Learning a bit of Arabic is a must, especially if you need to follow-up with government ministries and agencies. The official language of the pubic sector is Arabic, and most locals working there don't speak English very well.

Moving with family: Due to the hot weather for about six months of the year, beyond activities indoors shopping malls, the options are limited. However, from November until say, April, outdoor options increase dramatically.  Tip: Many websites offer listing of "things to do" in Kuwait. Thank god for Google! 

Moving with family: Need to take your ids to school everyday? get ready for daily traffic! Tip:Try to plan to live not far away from where your kids are going to attend school.

Administrative and bureaucratic issues: It is a pain, for everyone. Get ready for extended delays to get your local government paper processing  time. Tip: Try to reply on a "Mandoob" which is a local (sometimes expat) clearance guy who will followup on your behalf. A fee per transaction is expected.

Good luck!
Yousif