Business

I am owner of a restaurant/bar in Fajardo. I am considering re-opening this upcoming month. Any insight into the feasibility of operating on the island what with the power surges and financial woes? Can I plan on business traffic being close to pre-storm levels or has the population decrease been as extreme as some say? Getting mixed reports... thanks

I don't know about Fajardo, but for the restaurant/bars that managed to ride out the worst of the Maria aftermath, business is booming in VSJ. And I've noticed some new places opening up. Many have back-up generators as a safety net.

Good to know, a generator is first on my list! Thanks!

They say over 130000 people have moved off the island, but that is hard to believe when we see how jam packed it is in Sam's Club & Walmart or on 22 going into SJ!

Looks to me that business is booming wherever we go.  🤔

Here on the South side I would say those figures are accurate.  More than half of my neighbors are gone. The supermarkets are more than 50% less people when I shop. Sams has less inventory and less lines.  Maybe folks here who did not leave the Island moved closer to San Juan for work etc.

Well, I might need to think about moving to the south side!  Less congestion sounds good to me. And the water is calmer on Caribbean side. 🤗

Yea, I actually like it more with less people.  I can still get my basic needs met and am supplementing foods with what can be grown on the farm and I am putting in an urban garden above my carport in town for herbs veggies. I will be growing passion fruit within the ficus vine that grows on my wall and I just may plant some giant sunflowers to peek over the courtyard wall. Lots of empty buildings. I have a friend that is considering buying one  and would move from Manhattan to here.

If I were in the restaurant/bar business, I'd be where the people are. Just sayin'.

I'm flying back down tomorrow, look forward to doing some recon... decisions, decisions...

The pizza place in VSJ is packed every night. It has really good pizza, too.

Pirulo? Yup, moving OSJ is an option too, I know that the recovery will be faster there, but the work involved is intense. I am already somewhat established in the North East.

Here in Ponce a lot of places are struggling to make it with less consumers around. A lady from California opened her new probiotic restaurant featuring fermented foods and she sold out her opening night. To survive here I think a person needs to specialize as a destination rather than depend on walk by traffic.

Did she open before Maria or more recently?

Since Maria, I believe.

She opened a week or so before the hurricane. Left for the States with her husband and 4 year old daughter. She just get back to get things running. This is something very progressive and interesting that she has a following as others are closing. There are no decent vegetarian restaurants on the South Coast

Flying down tonight! Wish me luck! :)

Good luck.

I always thought a Swedish-style restaurant would be a hit. Puerto Ricans seem to like that sleek, minimalist, modern, trendy flare with a touch of exotic. And of course, lots of fish dishes and meatballs.

The IKEA down there is only a catalog ordering center. There is no restaurant.

Wishing you safe travels and much sucess!