Federal government jobs in Puerto Rico

Hello everyone.  I visited Puerto Rico 3 times since October 2010 and I loved it! I fell in love with the country. Since I visited PR, I started thinking about moving there. I love the culture, music, food, and the beautiful beaches! I did a quick google search on places to live in puerto rico and so far I've seen mixed reviews. I applied to some federal government jobs in Puerto Rico and had no luck. I know of a few friends that are frm Puerto Rico and had great things to say about PR except about the recent crime wave. I am a native of Washington DC and I know there are some good places to stay in DC and the bad places. I used to live in an low income neighborhood in DC (i.e. the hood lol) and I have been a victim of petty thefts so I know that things like that happens everywhere.  Every state, city, town has a good area and a bad area. I been to San Juan (isla verde area) and Rio Grande (El Yunque rainforest) and I loved it! I understand that the unemployment rate in PR is double the unemployment rate in the US and good paying jobs are hard to find. I was wondering if anyone knew of any American companies or federal government jobs that I can apply to that are in the accounting/auditing area? Also, as a young single female, what would be a good and safe place to live? My spanish is not very good but I do want to learn. But before, I actually move to PR, I need a job down there first. Please, all suggestions are welcome!

Meme

Hi Meme1484,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I have introduced your topic as a new thread on the Puerto Rico forum for better visibility.

I wish you good luck in your job search.
Christine

(Moderated: :offtopic:)

Anyone know of any job opportunities in PR in the federal government or private companies??

Hi Meme1484, have you tried to post an advert in Puerto Rico classifieds > Jobs section?;)

This may help,
Harmonie.

You should try usajobs.  You should also try the webpages of the local newspapers.  Most of the jobs ads are posted on the el nuevo dia newspaper, you could access their webpage at endi.com

try craigslist, monster, careerbuilder, indeed, and

clasificadosonline.com

Hello,

I hope I can help you out.  Luckily, my BF works For FEMA as a supervisor & I do have somewhat knowledge of fed jobs here in PR.

When my BF has to interview potential applicants, he prefers someone who is bilingual.  All documentation is done in English, but there may be times where communication needs to be done between the state or municipalities of PR.  So it's crucial to be bilingual down here.

If you are somehow able to work at the Army base, Fort Buchanan, chances are better for individuals who are not bilingual from what I hear.  Also, the IRS is here too, but being bilingual is a requirement

As someone suggested, go to the usajob.gov site & create an account.  Continue to check job openings on a periodical basis.  On a side note, I am making a big assumption that you are not bilingual & apologize if you are.  If you are bilingual, there shouldn't be any worry, but the job market is pretty grim here.  I have a couple of friends who haven't worked for 1-2 years despite having degrees.

Now for places to reside, you can't go wrong with the San Juan metro area.  For a young, single female, Old San Juan, Miramar, Condado, or Santurce would be great areas for you.  Fort Buchanan is in Guaynabo which is another good place to reside.  Now if you prefer more of a country setting, keep in mind traffic is horrific!!!! 

If you have any more questions or concerns, just let me know & good luck with your journey!

-Angie B

Abattig,

Thanks for the information.  I am an avid usajobs user lol. I applied to numerous jobs in PR using usajobs but I have not found any luck yet. I did apply to some jobs that were located at Fort Buchanan but I have not had any luck yet. I tried looking at monster, indeed, and other job websites and I have not had any luck yet. I am having a hard time trying to find a job with an american company in puerto rico. I do not want to work in private industry or corporations again but I could tough it out a bit if I find a job in PR. I used to do some work as a contractor with FEMA in DC for a little while.  I will keep looking for jobs in puerto rico. The govt jobs I applied to in PR didnt specifically have a bilingual requirement (i dont speak spanish) but I hope that will not exclude me from being a qualified person from those jobs. If you know any in the govt in PR that needs someone in the accounting/auditor position, please let me know.  I will continue to apply on usajobs and other websites but if you know someone that can help me, please let me know.  But thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Thank you for posting this information.
It has been extremely helpful.

I currently live in S.Korea and want to move to PR.
My Spanish is intermediate but could be advanced fluent in a few months.

I am also looking for work on the base and have registered with usajobs.  I'm glad you mentioned that.

I hope to keep in touch with you all.

Ciao!

Fayliza

How's Korea??  I was actually born there :). Do you like Kimchi at all?  Well, I hope you are enjoying my country & if you need any help with PR just let me know.

-Angie

Hi Angie!

Korea is good.  Sometimes it can be redundant and boring.  It is still cold here so not much to do outdoors.  Looking forward to warmer weather.
I'm working at a university so that is quite an easy job.  I really can't complain about my work.  I have 10 weeks of vacation.
So you know of jobs in PR? 
I also need to know about areas to live.  How about getting a scooter or car?  I've heard that traffic is a challenge.

Thanks

Fayliza

Anthony, this is an older post back in 2012 so I'm not sure if they are still on this board.  But it was very kind of you to look up this information.  Bless!

The link that anthonyc12 posted has nothing to do with government jobs in Puerto Rico and yes, the thread is more than 2 years old so...

lol, I didn't even click on his link.

That was spam and I deleted this account (thanks for the report ;))