Best way to earn a living

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm a dutchy married an indonesian wife. I would like to be joined with her, but i want to know what is the best way to earn a living legally. My wife can arrange a kitas for me. I am a webdeveloper with 20 years experience. Can i start a business there in name of my wife? Or is it better to look for a job?

Strictly, you'd need a company to hire you,  they apply for a work permit, and off you go.
If you're working online for companies outside Indonesia AND you aren't paid into an Indonesian bank account, tell immigration exactly what you intend and see what they say.
As you're married to an Indonesian, not taking any work away from an Indonesian, helping an Indonesian, and spending money in Indonesia, there's a better than average change they won't care what you do.

.... but always be honest with immigration.

Tell the truth to immigration or it will come back to haunt you...

abdulkhalil wrote:

Tell the truth to immigration or it will come back to haunt you...

To all expats here, read the above and burn it into your memory.

Burnt it in my memory  :) What about my wife starting a business and work for her?

Chimney wrote:

Burnt it in my memory  :) What about my wife starting a business and work for her?

Loads of people do that and, as long as they aren't seen to be working, no one cares.
You can't work in a shop or whatever else as you'll get seen, probably reported by some miserable sod, and then you're in trouble.
Immigration aren't stupid, neither are they monsters, so they know you need a bob in your pocket and, as long as you don't upset anyone, they tend to chose not to notice.

Like they said-be honest and upfront. Unless you have and are carrying an IMTA (work permit dealt with by an employer) do not be sighted in public doing work and earning an income.  Clearly your computer online web design work can be completed indoors though you may run into trouble if you're contracting to PT National Companies. 

Forewarned is foretold in this matter. 

You may have to report your earnings yearly as a kitas resident but list any income as that from overseas (unless you obtain at IMTA in the future).

PM me if you need a copy of the guidelines for residents for tax purposes in Indonesia issued in 2017 on behalf of Freeport Mining and associated contractor staff.  It may assist.

David

Thanks for your answers. I might be able to get a kitas through a friend from my wife who has a company in medical equipment. She said i could quit or get fired and work for another company. But now i've read that a kitas is really bound to the company, so if you leave so does your kitas. Is this true?

A work permit is issued to one company at one address.
Leave the company and your documentation is invalid.

honestly, indonesian pay less except you lucky to find an excellent company and opportunity. I'd prefer have my own bussiness. have a consultation with expert for it  dude.

If I were you, I would open traveling bussiness from indo to dutch since you are from there,I belive people will have an interest in it, as long as its quite cheap.and you know why ? look for the history, scenery, culture, freedom in some aspect,If you know what I mean hehe

To tell the truth, after you got married to your indonesie wife, you probably won't be able to get a job, so you gonna have to create a business in her name, and, you probably need to work from home. Indonesia only wants english teachers and you are not a native english speaker, so not much chance. Also web designers are two a penny in Indonesia so I would think of something else completely different.