I wonder if it could be possible to settle in Cape Town

Hi everyone
I visited S.A. 12 years ago and I have loved it. Beiing back to South of France after 20 years overseas, I have been enjoying Nice very much. But I feel like it's time for me to move on and I wonder if it could be possible to settle in Cape Town. I used overseas to teach french and now I have been a yoga teacher for 12 years. Any help?

Thank you

Yes , i have been in South africa for over 1year , i live in gauteng , i have visited other province including western cape ,cape town , i will tell you cape town is nice to live , i am moving there.

Hi and welcome Cocoyoga:
My name is Hamish. I am an American expat currently living in Cape Town, South Africa just over five months now and love it. I am in the employ of an international mining corporate and will be here for at least one year, possibly two. Please be aware of the drastic water shortage currently being experienced in Cape Town. To say that it is dire, is an understatement. However, speaking for the culture, the people, the land, it is beyond fascinating. I am presently living in a complex called Waterfront Village – Carradale Apartments and could not be more happy.  This apartment complex is located on the V&A Waterfront on the harbor. Has views of Table Mountain (that is a big deal here), and walking distance to shopping and entertainment hotspots. It fits my lifestyle very well. I am now in my very early 40's, try to keep fit and mingle with an energetic crowd when time permits. The best advice I can give you if you settle here, is not to apply your value system or political leanings to the people here. Remember, you are in their land, made a decision to come to their country, so accept them as they are and you will find a warmth and enrichment found in very few parts of the world. Remember, ideology is something that is generally ingrained in a people, and as long as you accept them for who they are, you will make many warm, kind, loving and generous life long friends. Cape Townian's are some of the most benevolent people I have ever met in my life. Best of luck! Look me up when you arrive – will show you around and take you to the Fork Restaurant for lunch on Long Street. Eating lunch at the Fork has become a Saturday ritual for me. You must partake in their Tapas-style eating! Also has balcony seating which is a must for a first time visitor! Of course you being French, will be hard to impress coming from a country known for leading the way in international cuisine. 😊

Poorly Worded Translation Below:

(Salut et bienvenue Cocoyoga:

Je m'appelle Hamish. Je suis un expatrié américain qui vit actuellement au Cap, en Afrique du Sud, il y a un peu plus de cinq mois et je l'adore. Je suis à l'emploi d'une société minière internationale et je serai ici pour au moins un an, peut-être deux. Soyez conscient de la pénurie d'eau qui sévit actuellement au Cap. Dire que c'est désastreux, c'est un euphémisme. Cependant, parlant pour la culture, les gens, la terre, c'est fascinant. Je vis actuellement dans un complexe appelé Waterfront Village - Carradale Apartments et je ne pourrais pas être plus heureux. Ce complexe d'appartements est situé sur le V & A Waterfront sur le port. A la vue sur Table Mountain (c'est un gros problème ici), et à quelques minutes à pied des magasins et lieux de divertissement. Cela correspond très bien à mon style de vie. Je suis maintenant dans mon début des années 40, essayez de rester en forme et de se mêler à une foule énergique quand le temps le permet. Le meilleur conseil que je peux vous donner si vous vous installez ici, ce n'est pas d'appliquer votre système de valeurs ou vos tendances politiques aux gens d'ici. Rappelez-vous, vous êtes dans leur pays, avez pris la décision de venir dans leur pays, alors acceptez-les comme ils sont et vous trouverez une chaleur et un enrichissement dans très peu de parties du monde. Rappelez-vous, l'idéologie est quelque chose qui est généralement enracinée dans un peuple, et aussi longtemps que vous les acceptez pour ce qu'ils sont, vous ferez de nombreux amis de longue vie chaleureuse, gentille, aimante et généreuse. Cape Townian sont parmi les personnes les plus bienveillantes que j'ai jamais rencontrées dans ma vie. Bonne chance! Regardez-moi quand vous arrivez - je vais vous montrer et vous emmener au restaurant Fork pour déjeuner sur Long Street. Déjeuner à la fourchette est devenu un rituel du samedi pour moi. Vous devez prendre part à leur repas de style Tapas! A également des sièges de balcon qui est un must pour un visiteur de première fois! Bien sûr que vous êtes français, il sera difficile d'impressionner venant d'un pays connu pour avoir ouvert la voie à la cuisine internationale. 😊)

South Africa is a very different place to what it was 12 years ago.

Prices have gone up a lot and Cape Town in particular is a very expensive place to be, especially for housing in the city centre. AirBnB, upcountry buyers and foreign buyers have driven prices out of reach of many locals.

You can definitely settle in Cape Town and have a great life there, but you will need a lot more to do so than elsewhere in the country.