Advice needed on moving to Mauritius

Hi all,

I am looking at applying to volunteer for a student organization in Mauritius . Accommodation costs are covered and I will be getting an allowance of 7500 MUR (200 euros) 

I am single and am planning to travel by public transport to and fro office. How's the public transportation there and is this feasible ?

Based on my allowance, will I be able to live and maybe do some travelling ?

Basic monthly expenses:
Food
Phone line
Broadband
Transportation ( public)

Anything else that I might have missed out ? Looking for some advice asap.

Thanks

HI Rubimes

on going through your message i understand that house will be provided by the organisation , looking to your allowance it must be a shared accomodation.

Now about your allowance of 7500 MUR seems to be on very lower side bcoz

01 Now a days mauritian rupee is getting strong and say in november it was 31 to 31 MUR per USD and as on date it is 28 per USD .

02 your fooding cost would be around 2500 - 3000 MUR only if you prepare yourself at home , as restaurant is a costly affair

03 INTERNET : in around 1000 MUR you would get unlimited internet with 1 MBPS speed. but for that you need to have a fixed line first than only you can have internet access . USB / traveller internetare costlier than fixed line.

04 public transport system is average here . you will get buses and minumum fare is 18 / 20 MUR and maximum is around 40 MUR for one way travelling .

hope this will help you .