Price of cigarettes

hello

unfortunately both my fiance and I are smokers (though we are planning on quitting once in Mauritius..)..

Are cigarettes and tobacco expensive there?

Astra80

Hello

The prices depend on the brands. You can buy a 20-pack or in retail depending on how much you want.
For a 20-pack, the prices are in the range of MRU 110 to MRU 150. [ $3.5 to $5).

A single one can cost you b/w Rs 8 to Rs 10.

As for tobacco, I don't know about the prices but rolling paper is illegal in Mauritius.
If you buy tobacco, you will have to go for pipe smoking.

Thanks Kaviraj

so I guess it's best to stop smoking haha

wow I didnt know rolling paper was illegal in Mau, how come?

I smoke addictive and preservative free cigarettes, hope to be able to find them there.

cheers

I smoke only when having a drink. You can do the same! :D

Yep rolling paper is illegal as it's associated with cannabis smokers. However, I only know that much. Maybe the law has changed...not sure though...better to inquire before taking any risk.

same same

better to stop altogether!
so u said u can buy one cigarette as well as a 20 pack??

thanks for tips!

Indeed!
However, for one or two cig, you will get them only from shops or small supermarkets.
In big stores and hypermarkets, you will have to buy a 20-pack.

ok tnx for info!

Just a remark. Selling cigarettes in detail, meaning not in packages of 20 is as well ILLEGAL in Mauritius!!

Yes - some small shops still do and as long as nobody makes any deposition nothing will happen - but nevertheless it remains illegal

thank you for all the info!!

as they say, better to be safe than sorry!

Bear in mind that it is illegal to buy cigarettes in units, you need to buy packs! But it's so hooked to the Mauritian habit.. I'm a smoker too!

If you are planning on giving up smoking don't consider asking the price of cigarettes

;)

Hey
Which cigarettes is it that you smoke which are preservative free?