New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

As Vagabond has rightly explained some of the issues.
We came from Brisbane but had been staying in VN for 1/3 months a year for a long time. Our advice would be to stay in Saigon for a period of time, travel around and see whether you could live here. VN is our home, we love it but it's not for everybody, major adjustments have to be made to your thinking and lifestyle.
We have noticed that for reasons which we don't understand or care, expats that we have come across, in person, are not friendly but we have made many Vietnamese friends, probably because my wife is Vietnamese and speaks the language although she was brought up in Australia.
We also notice that Vn is awash with Teachers.
Have a holiday here and see what you think and feel...
Mike

Hi Mike
Thanks very much for your reply and advice, greatly appreciated

Hi Vagabondone
Thanks very mch for all your advice. I was looking at starting in Hoi An.

Well yes tgen Da Nang would be the best to fly into. I only vist Da Nang to play golf. But it is the most progressive city in VN. Unfortunatkt to much so for some ar the top so the mayor was done away with. You do not see many on here that actually live in Hoi An. I would assume you would get your nedical care in Da Nang then. They have VinMec which is a relatively new hospital. They have one in HCM I know is well thought of. I can contact their insurance department for you and see if they take your carrier. Hoang My has a hospital there as well. I use them because I have no choice. They are good but all the providers are still  Vietnamese. Like most here are not actually doctors. The hygiene is terrible, but tge borm unless you use places like Vinmec or FV etc.
  Of course being a small tourist town many of your choices are going to be very limited. But like the other gent said, and I agree your just going to gave to try it on for size. VN is great in so many ways. But there is so many  adjustment you must go through on a daily basis the remainder of your life, Best to be flexible and do not plant the tomatoes yet . And only buy ripe bananas.

Hi Friend,
Welcome :) Do you know program name you've joined on HTV7?

Hi Vagabondone
Thanks again. I don't have any medical issues, was more of an enquiry I suppose. You may have some advice for me regarding accommodation. I haven't been to Vietnam before and a friend who went last year suggested I start at Hoi An as it is not too big a place and I would feel comfortable there, I suppose because they speak English. I am new to travelling by myself and in non English speaking countries so a bit aware of wanting to feel safe and relaxed. I was wondering about best way to get cheap accommodation. My friend said to book by the month at an apartment complex which I should be able to get for around $300 the month. Do you have any advice about that? Thanks again

I can appreciate your concerns. I well recall my first out of my home country fears. But no need to fear for your safety here in Vietnam unless your directly in a tourist district. For the most part then it is just crimes of opportunity. Like all large city tourist areas around the world you need to guard your personal belinging. But  you vould walk butt naked across town and not be bothered here. There are the laye night bar folks that can get rolled late at night in tge tourist areas.
I think $300 a month accomodations are  going to be ones you want to put your eyeballs on. My advice to you is to book a shorterm stay in a place that you think you can handle. Once you get your feet on the ground here you can stroll around, ask around and see if there is something that you can get for that. I do not think $300 is easily doable. I do have a friend here in town that sounds very much like your both in the same situation . He has some very cheap accomidations.
I think Hoi An will gt old fast if your staying there long term. But it might be to your liking. But Da Nang is the hot spot now and is a wonderful progressive city. And it is just down the road a bit. If you were here I could get you a large quite comfortable place for 8 m vnd ($344.00). It is the home of a monker lady who now rents out each floor of her home.
  Getting long and winded here. Short answer is relax, have no fears. Get on tge ground and start asking around. At least you can move on if Hou An is not to our liking . Bon voyage!!!

Hi again,
If Da Nang/Hoi An is where you would like to start, I would suggest flying into Da Nang having pre booked via Airbnb, accommodation, for 3/4 weeks while you decide if you want to stay in that location.
Hoi An is tourist central, higher prices, no familiar facilities. Da Nang has modern shopping centres, good hospital, cinemas and you will find some expats scattered around.
Mike

Vagabondone wrote:

It is the home of a monker lady who now rents out each floor of her home.

I assume it is some kind of a typo but what is a "monker" lady.  Is it someone who hawks goods in the open market (monger) or is it someone who spends all day in a monastery or is there a third possibility that I have missed?   :/

Hi Vagabondone, thanks for your help. Im looking to travel around to maybe 3 places in the 3 months i have my visa for. Thats where I thought booking for a month might be a good option to save a bit of money.  Thanks for suggestion of Da Nang to stay as alternative.

Hi Mike, thanks very much for the advice. I' ll definitely look into that.

The thing about booking for a month up front is it could be a terrible place and then your stuck. You can get some very cheap digs by the day that would allow you to get a feel for a place for fast. If it is the place you want to stay then you can find longer term accommodations. Just don't be afraid. Relax and enjoy each wonderful day here. If you get a chance checkout Da Lat. It is a mountan town 5,000 feet above MSL. Great weather if you like it cool and refreshing air ( around 75 degrees. Pine forest etc.  accomodations are cheaper there and ten to the French archtecture a lot . Transportation is cheap between cities here. You can catch a Phoung Trang bus between , say, HCM and      Da Lat for 225 ,000  vnd about the same from HCM to Nha Trang. Nha Trang is not real popular with Westerners like it once was. If you take Phuong Trang they have a courtesy shuttle service that will take you to where your staying. They are a gray minivan. They do not offer it in HCM though.
When you arrive in DN you will take about a 45 minute ride to Hoi An. Start your trek there and stay in a nightly basis. If you like it find a long  term place. That $300 equates to about $10 a night. On the cheap end for anything decent. But there are hostel etc for less. But at your age I am not sure that would be comfortable  for you.

rossiemac wrote:

1.  Is a flight to Singapore than Da Nang the best way to go.

Good reasons for flying into HCMC, Đà Nẵng or Hà Nội.

I suggest Đà Nẵng because of the central location, from which you can venture north, west and south on short trips.

Perhaps flying into Đà Nẵng and flying out of HCMC (or vice versa) will work best for you?

rossiemac wrote:

2. I currently have a 3 month tourist visa , but will be hopefully getting work on-line English teaching so will need accommodation with good wi fi connection. I have been advised its cheaper to rent by the month. I will be looking for most economical way to do this. I will need a quiet room or space though to conduct class lessons on-line. Any accommodation recommendations?

While there are some highly recommended properties here on Airbnb, the prices are inflated for those good locations. Otherwise, Airbnb is a real crapshoot here, with lots of stories about landlords who don't have a clue as to how to set up a proper space with amenities.

My own landlord is a dear, but she rented an apartment through Airbnb the other day and the hapless British renter came to us asking for a broom and a mop and glassware.

The landlord had assumed that a three-day renter would clean the unprepped apartment, as well as supply her own kitchen tools.

Airbnb IS a great tool to use, once you are here. You can identify possible apartments, then contact the landlord for a viewing, and end up negotiating a nice, long term rate.

The Mỹ An area of Đà Nẵng (Google Maps link) may suit you best when you first arrive. Hotel rates are slightly higher because it's an expat-friendly area. However, you can find a monthly hotel room for about ₫7 million VND or a hotel-apartment room including equipped kitchenette for around ₫9 million VND.

Even true apartments (studio or 1 bedroom) can be quickly found after arrival. The base price is about the same as a hotel-apartment, but you get less maid service and probably have to pay for electricity in an apartment.

I recommend you pull up the Google map and search the area for "hotels" or "lodging". Most hotels will have rates updated instantly for sites such as Hotels.com (a @Ciambella frequent-traveler favorite) and Booking.com. I consistently get the best rates through Agoda, using their app with ₫VND rates. BUT, by doing a Google maps search first, any special rates available through other travel sites will be easily seen.

I recommend booking 3 to 5 nights at a hotel, then look for longer term accommodations once you are here and can walk the neighborhood.

rossiemac wrote:

I will want to know the best places for locals to eat at.
I'm looking forward to connecting with expats when I arrive. Is there a regular meeting time/place?
I am also extremely keen on studying Qi gong/tai chi with a views entrails on doing teacher training. Is there a good place to do this?

To get these kinds of recommendations on this site, it may be best to start new threads with specific questions & a sub topic under specific cities.

Otherwise, the Facebook group DanangHoianexpats is your best bet for local recommendations and tons of SPAM.

Hi Vagabondone, thank you again. Da Lat....ok i will check that area out too, thank you so much for the helpful advice, so very much appreciated. Yes Im not wanting the backpackers scenario, been there and done that many years ago😊

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I recommend booking 3 to 5 nights at a hotel, then look for longer term accommodations once you are here and can walk the neighborhood.

Da Nang is full of construction. We had a nice room at the beach, but next door they were pounding piles into the ground for the new tower next door. All day.  :o  So I would book no more then 3 nights, you can always move to another quieter hotel, there are plenty of rooms.

Hi OceanBeach, good advice, thank you for that

Hello all, HCMC resident since July. Tubbs fire refugee from norcal. Along with my home my business burned, nearly lost my life, and my friends and associates all moved away within a few months. I have travelled the world extensively , spending NYE in a different place for two decades.  Landed here in se Asia for a few different reasons, some sound common amongst us. Anyway hi there!

Hi OceanBeach,
Thank you very much for your time and effort in responding to my questions. Good information on the accommodation stuff thanks. Good idea on posting single questions too, thanks again, all this information helps. Cheers

Hi Gobot
Thanks for that tip. Gosh that would have been annoying. As I will be teaching English on-line I will need a quiet space so construction noise is a no go for me lol.

Hello all!
My name is Tammy, I am a Vietnamese-American. I am doing a project on human trafficking in Vietnam and would love to talk to people about it. If you are interested or have any information either on Vietnam or human trafficking in general, send me your email. Thank you!

I think it is highly unlikely that any expats are involved in human trafficking in Vietnam.  The risk reward ratio would be way to high as they would stick out like a sore thumb in that environment.  I have read in Vietnamese newspapers of women being trafficked into southern China from the northern parts of Vietnam.  You should target the local population in that area.

As surprised as THIGV might be on the subject ,INS would disagree with him. It happens quite a bit in most Asian countries. Unfortunately this is why young ladies are so scrutinized when they try to get a Visa to America. And to minimize it might do a disservice to young ladies. They need to really investigate who it is they are dealing with.I think THIGV might be thinking of the traffic into China for organs and young children. Yes, in that case I do not think most expat would be interested at all in such an enterprise.

Thank you both THIGV and Vagabondone for responding. For my project, I simply need 25 people to be a part of my panel to give me feedback throughout my process of developing a product that might be of use to lower the rates of human trafficking. Because this is a large issue, I am focusing on young adult females living in isolated villages in Vietnam that are trafficked to China. I am simply looking for people with knowledge and seeing that this forum involves people who have been in Vietnam, I was hoping to use them as a resource.

oh_hello wrote:

Thank you both THIGV and Vagabondone for responding. For my project, I simply need 25 people to be a part of my panel to give me feedback throughout my process of developing a product that might be of use to lower the rates of human trafficking. Because this is a large issue, I am focusing on young adult females living in isolated villages in Vietnam that are trafficked to China. I am simply looking for people with knowledge and seeing that this forum involves people who have been in Vietnam, I was hoping to use them as a resource.

Again it is possible that someone reading here could help you but it is still likely that you are looking to focus on a smaller northern village, not a likely place to find expats.  The only exception might be someone married to someone from such a village but not living there.  Still, good luck.

Hello All,
my nam is Sam ,
I am from Taiwan, I worked in Vietnam five years ago and fell in love with this country.
And married my wife a month ago.

Vietnam is a place of simplicity and incredible magic.
Powerful and inclusive,
I hope that the future will make English better and meet more friends.

anyone know about the victori hotel in My khe beach,
An Thuong 2  Da Nang?
seems a nice place, it is quiet or lots of construction?
:)

blinddonkey wrote:

anyone know about the victori hotel in My khe beach,
An Thuong 2  Da Nang?
seems a nice place, it is quiet or lots of construction?
:)

Yes

Good luck with your project. I would have to agree with THIGV. But go for it. Can not imagine the product that is going to reduce the problem. That in itself would be interesting to see how it turns out. I can assure you I can not be of any help to your project.

Hello, I'm 61 years old Korean.  I'm staying 3 weeks in Vietnam, and 1 week in Korea per month.
I have a software development office at Toong Oxygen, An phu District 2. I normally stay  at Vista.  Now I'm considering to hire a room for long term at nearby.

My softwares are 3d cad data conversion for visualization in oil & gas, power plant and shipbuilding industries. 

I'm learning Jazz piano  from Youtube. between beginer and intermediate level. I'm thinking of buying a used keyboard.

I hope I make new friends here.

Welcome to Viet Nam

Hi Guys!!

I'm Wedad. I'm from Egypt and I'm planning to move to Vietnam very soon. I have friends that visited and told me how beautiful and peaceful it is. I'm really excited, but worried that i won't be able to find a job. I have a Bachelor degree in Business Management. and 5 years of professional experience. I'm Fluent in Arabic and English. Will it be difficult to find a job in Hanoi??

Yes

Hi Wedad!    ..welcome to (my) Utopia..!

May you find it as blissful as I do, but be aware it is (like everywhere else?)
    very much a matter of personal preferences.   Strokes for folks, as it goes...

Fortunately, the full spectrum is here.   Yes, the piece of paper is always
    welcomed by employers.   Dunno if there is much call for Arabic translation
    but it is a skill which might open unsuspected doors(?)    You never know...

I researched the odd few cultures before I arrived in Hanoi over 4 years
     ago, and am still suffering from sensory overload.   Yes, plenty of work in
     teaching (at all levels)  with prices to be debated.   Management might well
     be too competitive, as the locals are both highly skilled (and much cheaper)

I advise you try before you buy.   Yes, research and enquire, but until you
    are 'boots-on-the-ground',    (IOW), until you present yourself, no concrete
    contract can happen, seemingly juicy offerings aside...   (too good to be true)
    (too often).   So keep your mind and options open until you get here.

Most new arrivals use the 3-month Tourist Visa option to test the waters
   and that is plenty of time to look at locations, types of lifestyles, accomodation
   & etc.   You'll find most people here only too happy to see yet another walking
   ATM so be careful and commonsense is required.   As it is elsewhere...

But seriously, you'll find it is a very safe environment, and there are none of
   the social problems (caste, colour, creed, intolerance, etc) we see so much of
   in other cultures.   I find people here are much more genuine and sincere.

(Read the History)

Best wishes,  Barry

Thank you so much Barry. I think I'll do as you said, visit for a couple of month first before deciding to move there

Hello future friends!  My name is Anna and I am a single mom to a sweet 9yr old boy.  We love traveling and seeing/experiencing how people in other parts of the world live.  I am an avid reader, friend maker, and food addict.  I am also obsessed with tea & making sure my little boy gets a great experience, maybe pick up a few skills here and there.    We also enjoy walking around and exploring.  Even more so when it leads us to fun people or a beach.  Or fun people at the beach! Or pool, or lake, or river, or even a creek! We are also water babies, can't you tell?

Currently, we are expats from Tx&Ca looking for a new homebase.  We have been in SE Asia since last August.  We were mostly in my home country of The Philippines but didn't much enjoy our stay there.  We have visited Bali and Thailand but Vietnam has always been on top of the list.  We think Saigon could be "it".  We found a place on Airbnb for the month of Feb to find out.  Unfortunately, on the website I was reccomended, we were only able to get 1 month, single entry visas instead of the 3 month, multiple entry ones.  I don't suppose there's a way to ammend this?  I've been on the Visa sites which basically means I'll be spending some time at the immigration center :D, but any suggestions or consolation are appreciated! 

I work remotely online and I also homeschool my son.  I would be interested in teaching English in the future, (I was an ESL teacher for my church.)    We're hoping to find a place where we can live a simple life without feeling too robbed of time with my kid.  It would be awesome if we both could make friends with whom we can hang out with, have playdates with, and experience HCMC.  Or just be weekly coffee/tea buddies!

Anyhow, we are pleased to meet you and can't wait to fall in love with the city you call home.

Ona.journey.now wrote:

Or pool, or lake, or river, or even a creek! We are also water babies, can't you tell?

I fear you will be rather disappointed with the water quality in Saigon.  I never came across a single body of water there that was not so severely polluted and malodorous that one wouldn't want to be near it let alone take a dive.  The air quality is not a lot better.  I expect that you may have encountered similar situations in urban areas of the Philippines.   It sounds to me that one of the coastal cities may be more to your liking.

THIGV wrote:
Ona.journey.now wrote:

Or pool, or lake, or river, or even a creek! We are also water babies, can't you tell?

I fear you will be rather disappointed with the water quality in Saigon.  I never came across a single body of water there that was not so severely polluted and malodorous that one wouldn't want to be near it let alone take a dive.  The air quality is not a lot better.  I expect that you may have encountered similar situations in urban areas of the Philippines.   It sounds to me that one of the coastal cities may be more to your liking.

Many thanks!  Yeah, HCMC is definitely more of a cosmopolitan city, which we kind of are in need of at the moment.  We just did the coastal thing in Thailand and are craving a bit of more of socializing you can find in cities.  We actually have our eye on Da Nang eventually, as soon as we fix our visa situation, but until then city living here we come.  Or as long as we can take weekend trips to some great water, we'll be alright! 👍  As for the Philippines...I didnt leave a western country to end up in another  country wanting to be westernized.  That and we love Vietnamese food.  We are counting down the days until we can get our hands on some!!

Hi there
my name is puya. 33-year- old American-Persian. I have been living in Saigon for 2 years.
I have started some businesses here and also taught English.
For 14 years I have been teacher and school manager and for the lasdt couple of years was more inclined toward doing import export business.
I import some products from Iran like saffron, nuts and carpet.

Hi - Paul here. 48-yo, ex-Navy 23 years. Living in Sydney currently, although looking to move to Vietnam mid 2019. Depends where I can get work. I don't want to live there on a tourist visa. Looking for work in Marine Survey, Shipyard, Ship Build, Repair, NDT, Paint inspector etc. Would also be open to volunteer work with Animals or disadvantaged kids. Love motorcycles, will be buying a bike (road / trail) for exploring when I get there. Cheers, Paul

Hi!

I am Santosh K Sobhasaria, recently shifted to HaNoi and rented an apartment in Times City. I have joined a Inox mfg company to sell their products in India. Sometimes I feel lost in the city because of language and food. We are vegetarians and speak English. Looking for some new friends and people with legal back-ground who can suggest us solutions of day to day problems. Otherwise I found Hanoi very vibrant.

Julien wrote:

Hi all,

Newbie on the Vietnam forum? Dont know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Vietnam if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Closed