Do and don't in Panama

Are you living in Panama? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Panama?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Panama?

Thanks!

I"m not living there yet, but I have been following Panama blogs and articles for some time. I'm not speaking from experience just from research. 

An expat had his money in a foundation and had a bad experience with a bank and posted his trouble in a forum.  Another expat took that email to the bank to withdraw their money.  The banks lawyers froze the authors of the emails assets so he would not be able to legally defend himself.  I learned two things from this issue:

1.  When dealing with a business there do not expect them to behave like a US firm Panama protects their image above all.  Do not expose another expat just remove your money and give a generic excuse.
2.  I also learned that the wise thing to do is maintain US or Swiss bank accounts and transfer in what you need for a couple months of monthly expenses.  It's not uncommon to have a separate bank account for the corporation used to purchase a home and maintenance.  Transfer funds to this account accordingly. You may have a need for another one or more accounts if so transfer funds form your  main US/Swiss account as needed.
3.  US/Swiss bank have consumer protections which are desirable. Look for free or low money transfer fees, Electronic access, and one that can service your needs efficiently.

Research these issues thoroughly know all the pro's and cons go in with eyes wide open.

If you plan on shipping household goods Dual Citizen ship (pensioners Passport) Don't expect the shipper to do the transaction with the price quoted, expect to pay a tip as well or your goods may not be delivered enact. Some expats look at this as a bribe and refuse to pay but this is Panama and it's culture thing, the person your dealing with has his children to consider and they will take it as an insult if not paid.

Never expect appointments to be on time.  This is another cultural thing.  it may be hours or days later just be patient.

Hopefully an expat actually living there will opine further on this issue for you. These are just a few I have learned recently.

Hope this helps