Can I survive in Berlin Germany with 400 euros

I have no bills to pay I have free room and board and transportation ticket per month will I be able to survive with 400 euro

If you are very thrifty, never eat out, avoid entertainment, never travel, scrimp wherever you can and really have no regular bills to pay, it might be possible to survive - but is that what you really want?
Please note that as a resident you need German health insurance, which costs a minimum of €170/month (for a single, non-student adult). With that, your plan is certainly not viable any more.

I'd have to agree, you might survive, but you certainly won't thrive.  Is this the kind of life you want?

Everything is paid for my apartment insurance public transportation ticket all I have to buy is food would I be able to survive the month n still be able to go out to clubs

Camgotti wrote:

Everything is paid for my apartment insurance public transportation ticket all I have to buy is food would I be able to survive the month n still be able to go out to clubs

I'd say, no

Germany isn't like Eastern EU countries.

Camgotti wrote:

Hasn't your question been answered?

So out of the €400 a month what will need to buy, because you have conflicting statements. You first said that your food is covered then you said it's not.

In the short of it, no, you can't live on €400 a month if you want to hit the clubs as well.

As the previous posters said: For non-food expenses (Internet, phone, clothes, toiletries, limited entertainment, etc.) your €400/month should be enough as long as you are careful not to overspend.
A night out in the clubs will easily cost you €50-100, so that is out.
And if food is not provided, you'd need all of that money to eat, even if you buy cheap and cook yourself!

I never said my food was paid for the only thing I would have to pay for is food with my 400 euro a month n clubs if I choose to go out

Thanks beppi that really helped .

In your first post you wrote you get free room and board - an expression that means accommodation and food.
As we said, If you have to feed yourself from that €400/month, you‘d have nothing left to enjoy life.
In any case, what is that strange arrangement where someone gives you a room, public transport ticket, health insurance and some pocket money AND a valid reason to get a visa ( withput you working for them, because that would be illegal below the minimum wage)?

If your room and board, public transport and health insurance is paid for, I'd say you'll be fine with 400 if you're thrifty. You'll have to be thrifty and cook most of your meals yourself, but I'd even say you could go out a couple times per month (at least for cheaper nights out, which do exist) and occasionally buy yourself some basic clothing.

To everyone else...

A night out at the clubs costs 50-100 Euros? What are you all doing at night? And what are you all eating that you're struggling to feed yourselves with 400 Euros per month? Do you not cook?

Maybe I'm just old, but when I go to a show (I'm not really into dance music, so I mostly go out to hear bands) I spend maybe half that, and most of that is on the ticket. There are other cheaper things to do at night, such as swing dancing nights, salsa, tacky clubs that play 90s music (which is super cheesy, but can be fun), opting for a night out at a bar instead of a club, etc.

At any rate, this sounds like an au pair job. This kind of arrangement isn't uncommon at all for au pairs. My cousin was an au pair here and had a similar arrangement (for less money, but that was over a decade ago). I don't know how minimum wage has affected au pairs, though. When my cousin was here (and when I was younger and knew people in that line of work), there was no minimum wage, so maybe it's different now.

To gain entry into nightclubs these days can cost €10 - €25 depending who is DJing. A beer can cost €5 each.

Ok, but you can totally go out and dance the night away with just a 2-3 beers. I mean, sometimes living on a budget means sacrifices. I'd rather go out and just have a couple of drinks than say to myself, "Well, I can't afford to get wasted, so I'm just going to stay home."

Or you can always have a couple of drinks at home before you go out?

I don't want to be nit-picking, but if the club costs EUR15 entry (which is middle range) and over the course of the evening you drink 3 beers at EUR5 each, plus a snack at EUR10 and a tip for the waiter - then you are at almost EUR50, the lower end of what I mentioned.

I actually tried, many years ago when I was still student, to live a month without spending more than DM20 (=EUR10) in cash on any day (excluding things like rent and utilities, which were automatically deducted from bank account). It was HARD - and prices have more than doubled since then.

Aupairs get EUR260/month pocket money, plus room and board, health insurance, public transport ticket and a EUR50 subsidy for a language course (if they visit one). This is fixed by law (any more and they'd need a work permit, which most won't get) and it's not meant as paid work, but as a cultural learning and exchange programme for young people.

Thanks for clarifying.

Anyway, my experience of living on a budget has been much, much different. I have been in Berlin for 12 1/2 years, for most of which I was low income. After my housing, utilities, health insurance, and transport costs, I had less than 400 Euros left over each month. Sometimes, I had much, much less than that. I'm not going to say that it was easy, because it wasn't, but it was still doable. And I still went out sometimes and ate fairly well. You learn to make compromises, i.e. picking and choosing when and where you go out, having a couple of drinks before going out at home, cooking most of your meals from scratch (and choosing seasonal produce, which is still much cheaper), making your own fun (having friends over, taking advantage of those lovely summer days we have by lounging in parks, etc).

Maybe it's a result of the habits I built up while I was poor, but even now, I don't spend 400 Euros a month on food, going out, and clothing.

Thanks Daniemarie for the most helpful information I have gotten on here Anything is possible peace & blessings to you

Everyone gave useful info if its not what you wnat to hear thats not out problem.

ok