Job offer in Berlin - family of 6

Helo everyone, I got an offer for 77K gross.  I have a family of 6.  Wife not working and kids are school going.  Is this a salary to have a comfortable family life - especially for kids to have fun.

I worked out the net monthly to 4200 plus kindergeld of 900 = 5100pm.. Should i go for it??

Families with four kids are uncommon in Germany. More than two is officially considered "many" (and those families get some subsidies). Since having kids also isn't cheap (and often allows only one parent to work), large families are also usually poorer.
Although your offered salary is far above average, you will be poorer per person than an average German family - the median pre-tax income of a German family of four was €62500/year in 2018, according to official statistics (Statistisches Bundesamt).
However, it is still enough to get by if you forgo expensive items like international schools or fancy vacations.
Fun for kids doesn't need to cost much, so I don't understand your question about that. As with all changes in life, the transition to a new environment, a new language and a new school will not always be fun - it depends on what you make of it!

Thanks for your response.  We will not look at international schools, the kids do currently have german as a second language (although they will need extra lessons to join a german school).  Fancy vacations are also not a priority.  I just want the kids to have a better quality of life plus enjoy kids entertainment activities as we do not currently have much here in Namibia.

I just need to make sure that with the salary theres a roof over our head plus food on the table everyday without shortcommings, plus weekend activities here and there for the kids..

curstoncoetzee17 wrote:

I just need to make sure that with the salary theres a roof over our head plus food on the table everyday without shortcommings, plus weekend activities here and there for the kids..

Thanks to our excellent social security system, you do not even need an own income for this.

Hi, sorry i dont understand.  How does social security help with rent and groceries there?

The cost of basic necessities is covered by social security for all people in need.
(The only problem: You won't get a visa for this, unless you are asylum seeker or join a close family member who is German.)

You'll be fine.

The first few months may be an adjustment and certain things may cost more than you are used to while others will cost less.

Finding a suitable apartment/house may be a bit of a challenge, as German families do tend to have less children and this is reflected in the accommodation that is on the market.

Is your employer helping with relocation at all?

Hi, thanks...yes they will offer relocation of 5k.  I have another offer coming but it might be less but they also offer with relocation.

Try to negotiate for not just a lump sum for relocation (€5k is the standard within Europe - a move of your household items from another continent will cost at least double that!), but also provide a relocation consultant who helps with initial paperwork (which can be overwhelming) and accommodation search. Also, ask them to pay the first three months temporary accommodation (you need at least that long to find and move into a permanent place!). These are all standard for international transfers within a company - and in your case a test for how seriously they want to hire you.

One more comment about the financial aspect: The poverty line (and that is also the amount social security provides to the needy) is at slightly above €400/month per person plus accommodation. In a major town you have to budget €1500/month or more as rent for an apartment big enough for a family of 6 (if you can find one at all - they are rare). Add this up and you get close to the €4200/month (after tax) you were offered.
It can certainly work, but don't expect luxuries!

Thanks for the input,  the kindergeld will also help i think to atleast save some...

It's not quite as bleak as that.

Social security for children is, depending on their age, closer to 300 € per person and Kindergeld is fully treated as income and deducted from the amount payable by social security, while OP can of course keep the Kindergeld on top of their salary.

So, a family of 6 without any income from employment would get about 1100,00 EUR plus Kindergeld plus cost of rent and heating. If we take your 1500,00 example plus maybe 150.00 for heating, That family of 6 would get around 3650,00 which is a good chunk less than OP's 5100,00. On the other hand, it depends on what one is used to. My husband grew up with lots of cheap domestic staff, which of course is absolutely unthinkable for most people in Germany and would not be achievable with OP's income.

I totally agree with asking for a relocation consultant! Have the company pay somebody to organize paperwork, find housing and such!

OP might also want to think about whether they want to have all belongings moved over or rather get a lump sum for buying furniture and appliances in Germany instead. I have a friend from Australia who brought absolutely everything and had to buy nearly everything new within about a year for various reasons. Furniture just didn't fit the Berlin apartment, appliances were not compatible, the Australian car seats for the children had not the right safety certificates, the bed was not a standard size and had to go when a new mattress was needed, bedding wasn't warm enough and, again not of standard sizing, stuff like that just kept coming.

Now they are left with one (!) Australian book shelf and some Australian books therein. Otherwise the Australian things have either been thrown out or been stuffed into the cellar.

EDIT: Don't forget that you will all need winter clothes!

Oh i see, now i get the benefits  of social security in germany.  Here theres is no such assistance at all for the unemployed.

I do believe i will be paying for social security as an expat, hence i would expect to benefit from social security should i be in such a situation right?

Also,  i have heard i can take 1500 from my salary and  pay for a full months groceries plus the occasional weekend activities for the kids (my kids are still small with 14, 10, 6, 4).  Does that sound fair.  We do not eat out alot even here we mostly stock the cupboards and fridge and occasionally get take out, so i wouldnt expect to change...  We also have a little savings +-10k which could come in handy (some people have said that they didn't need to touch their savings when they moved to berlin)

Any thoughts?

curstoncoetzee17 wrote:

Oh i see, now i get the benefits  of social security in germany.  Here theres is no such assistance at all for the unemployed.

Unemployment benefits, which are at 67% of previous post-tax income for up to half the duration you previously worked (or up to one year, whichever is shorter) is independent from social security. The latter kicks in after the unemployment benefits cease.

Wow I have never heard of such support from state.  Sju i have to leave africa.

Do you know if expats also benefit from unemployment benefit or social security? 
My thoughts are that if its deducted monthly from my salary then I should benefit right..

curstoncoetzee17 wrote:

Wow I have never heard of such support from state.

Unemployment benefits do not come from the state, but are "earned" - meaning they are financed by the (compulsory) contributions of all employees. Like a classic insurance, small contributions by many cover unforeseen hardship of few. The same system applies for the (also compulsory) health insurance here.
Social security, on the other hand, is "unearned" and financed from taxes.

curstoncoetzee17 wrote:

Do you know if expats also benefit from unemployment benefit or social security? 
My thoughts are that if its deducted monthly from my salary then I should benefit right..

You are only eligible for unemployment benefits if you remaining in the country - so you have to wait with losing your job until you have an unlimited residency permit.
For social security, the rules are more complicated, but again you are only eligible after a few years in the country (to prevent "benefit tourism"), unless you are asylum seeker or have close German relatives.

I'll tell you what - these are great initiatives that alot of other countries or citizens of those countries will never believe what support systems are in place in Germany.  I suppose thats what seperate first world countries from us.  One might be persuaded to accept low-ish offer from a company to be part of such a system.

Many thanks.

beppi wrote:
curstoncoetzee17 wrote:

Thanks to our excellent social security system, you do not even need an own income for this.

This sounds inappropriate. A German citizen or one legally residing in Germany for some years can qualify for certain public assistance in case they become unemployed and have almost no assets. But to mention this to one planning to immigrate to Germany who would not qualify for it doesn't make sense. Its not like everyone arriving in Germany automatically gets anything. Not to deny that there are social assistance programs in Germany but why even mention them to people who wouldn't qualify for them?!

But to the posters original question; the mentioned income is quite good and should be plenty to live a decent life.

curstoncoetzee17 wrote:

I'll tell you what - these are great initiatives that alot of other countries or citizens of those countries will never believe what support systems are in place in Germany.

many people do know hence their desperation to enter germany/europe by any means possible. why else are thousands of africans risking their lives crossing the mediterranean

Thanks for your input. 

I do however appreciate to know the potential benefits one can receive in future should I make this big decision to pack up and go.  I have a very comfortable life where i am and earn about 3 times national average here so its not an easy choice to make.  I would ideally want to know the immediate potential problems/opportunities plus what future benefits i would get in germany compared to here where i am. 

Tnx again

I am glad you see it that way. In fact, you also get good schools, functioning (and non-corrupt) administration, excellent infrastructure (from roads to healthcare to power supply), peaceful and low-crime society plus many others - at a price that some think too high (approx. 40% of your gross income), but which in other places no amount of money could buy.
In fact some people think the system is too comfortable to encourage hard work, performance and efficiency - after all, why work if you can still have a reasonable lifestyle despite doing nothing? - but, after living many years in third world countries, I prefer it this way (and I do still work hard, as do most others).

Franky3 wrote:
curstoncoetzee17 wrote:

I'll tell you what - these are great initiatives that alot of other countries or citizens of those countries will never believe what support systems are in place in Germany.

many people do know hence their desperation to enter germany/europe by any means possible. why else are thousands of africans risking their lives crossing the mediterranean

Their desperation is probably a combination of pull-factors ("I want to get to the better life there!") and push-factors ("I want to get out of the situation here!") and it is debatable (plus differs individually) which are stronger.
In any case, it is unfortunate this desperation exists at all!

I think 40% is not bad given that its inclusive of tax, healthcare, social sec, pension..etc.   Not bad at all.

beppi wrote:

it is unfortunate this desperation exists at all!

lol well some of ur comments on here about social security can only make people even more desperate to get into germany! if i didn't know better and was living in a 3rd world country and reading this thread, it would give me the impression that if i just find a way to get to germany, i would be given accomodation, and money to live on. sadly many believe this to be the case when it's not.

TominStuttgart wrote:

A German citizen or one legally residing in Germany for some years can qualify for certain public assistance in case they become unemployed and have almost no assets. But to mention this to one planning to immigrate to Germany who would not qualify for it doesn't make sense. Its not like everyone arriving in Germany automatically gets anything. Not to deny that there are social assistance programs in Germany but why even mention them to people who wouldn't qualify for them?!

You are right: This was off-topic, as in "not a direct response to the OP's question". But it started a good discussion about the pros (and cons) of social setups and methods of most rich Western democracies, which does seem to influence the OP's decision, after all. And furthermore, it's one of my favourite topics - I like debating about ways to make our society fairer and more equal.

Franky3 wrote:
beppi wrote:

it is unfortunate this desperation exists at all!

lol well some of ur comments on here about social security can only make people even more desperate to get into germany! if i didn't know better and was living in a 3rd world country and reading this thread, it would give me the impression that if i just find a way to get to germany, i would be given accomodation, and money to live on. sadly many believe this to be the case when it's not.

People already know that Europe offers good healthcare and a good living wage compared to their home country. I have been in contact with many Asylum seekers. In order to see a doctor, they would have to walk a couple of days in order to see one in a war-torn country.

of course europe offers better healthcare and wage compared to their country. im not talking about that at all nor have i said anything to the contrary.

Hi All,

I'm currently based out of India & working as Country Head Operations with the Annual Package of €140 k/ Year.

Currently I'm in discussion for similar role Berlin based with a large E-commerce Company. What should be the Berlin Salary of mine based on my Current.

P.S :- I'm not very persistent on Salary Hikes, it's just it should be equitable to my current salary & global leadership hiring standards.

Thanks

Devprags wrote:

Hi All,

I'm currently based out of India & working as Country Head Operations with the Annual Package of €140 k/ Year.

Currently I'm in discussion for similar role Berlin based with a large E-commerce Company. What should be the Berlin Salary of mine based on my Current.

P.S :- I'm not very persistent on Salary Hikes, it's just it should be equitable to my current salary & global leadership hiring standards.

Thanks

Country head operations of WHAT? Which company and field? And I think price levels are still much lower in India so one would likely have to get  considerably more money in Germany. Seems if you are so successful you could google relative price levels and figure this out yourself. But a salary of 140 K is quite a lot of money fitting to top management. Why wold a Berlin company recruit someone from India for such a position, do you even speak German? Lots of Indians in IT find jobs in Germany but not usually at this level of salary.

I consent with Tom: €140k/year (before tax, this translated to roughly half afterwards) is a very good salary in Germany. If you already have that in India (with vastly lower living costs), you are unlikely to maintain the same living standard after the move.
There are, of course, many other (and arguably more important) reasons for such a move. So what do you want to achieve?
And, of course, your (and your family‘s) level of German plays a major role in whether you find happiness here.