Living on €400 a month?

Hi there, I've been recently contacted about a possible job opportunity in Berlin and would love to jump on the offer. Unfortunately, it would start out as a 6 month internship, and I'd only be remunerated €400 a month, with which I've have to cover all of my costs (apartment, bills, food, travel, etc).

Would this even be possible?

Hi iamacyborg and welcome to Expat.com! :)

Francesca

Hi,
Impossible even in a cheap city like Berlin :(

You will nead at leat 800 Euros per month to survive.

Good luck ;)

If your employer provides accommodation (or you bunk with friends for free) and you pay for the trip to/from Germany from other sources, it would be possible to survive on €400/month - i.e. it would pay for basic, cheap food and other daily expenses (but NOT for luxuries like clothes or an occasional beer).

Hi there, I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I really do think that with 400 euros it would be really difficult! Berlin is cheap, but not that cheap. I think that with a free accommodation it would be "possible" but still difficult. Good luck to you!

It would be tight, but not impossible. I know people who are on similar budgets, but you have to be lucky in finding cheap accommodation and you will have to room-share. You can probably share a room with someone in an area like Wedding or Neukolln  for around 150 per month inc bills. Then you got 250 left for travel/food, which is doable if you can walk/ride a bike to your work.

Over the last 12 months I've lived comfortably on around 600 per month and my rent (inc all bills) is 400 per month. I don't go hungry (spend about 15 per week on food), and hit the bars pretty much every Friday and Saturday.

You need at least 300€ to rent a room (not appartment). and you need 75€ for one-month city-ticket. and you need to eat & drink I guess...