Is the Internet strong enough in Nepal for online teaching?

Hello,

My name is Lori, and I teach English at both an English center, as well as at a university in Danang, Vietnam. My husband and I want very much to come spend some time in Nepal. Our interest is in teaching online.  I already have an online company that wants to hire me, and they say that, unlike Vietnam, Nepal is a good place from which to teach online, because the Internet connection is reliable.

Has anyone tried to teach online from Nepal? Would you agree that the Internet connection, there, is suitable for this kind of work? Both my husband and I would be teaching online, so this is the most important bit of information that we need to confirm.

Thank you, in advance, for sharing your experience regarding this matter.

Best regards,
Lori

Teach english to nepalis online, you must be kidding! It's already hard enough to teach them anything here, when they are sitting opposite you physically, in a classroom. But to try and pull that off online from another country with really foul internet connections prevailing here on top of it as it has been pointed out, I don't mean to be negative or a party pooper, but I think that this type of online project is vowed to fail. If you don't believe me, try it....and I think you will quickly discover that this method of teaching simply will not fly here. In other countries perhaps, but not suited to peoples' mentality and way of doing things in this country. I don't mean to hammer the last nail into the coffin, but have you given thought to how you are going to get paid??? If you are thinking of using an online credit card system to charge for your services, Nepali people are not authorized to have international credit cards like Visa or Master Card etc. so they will not be able to pay you without Nepal Rastra Bank authorization! Check it out. Ask any nepali bank...you will quickly discover that local Nepalis are tightly controlled foreign exchange-wise,  and can't pay for services outside of the country in any foreign currency (dollars, sterling, euro et al) without CB authorization. This said, you could accept their nepali rupee Visa or other domestic cards and get paid that way, but then, how on earth are YOU going to get the nepali rupees converted into a foreign currency, and paid to you in Vietnam??? In that case scenario, it is you who will require CB authorization. Good luck if you succeed. Fat chance of your getting it. CB hangs on to every dollar they can get, but they will not allow dollars to leave the country. Inflow yes, outlow no!  As I said, you can try it, but from my perspective the project is a non-starter unless I am really missing out on something here.

I was never going to teach students in Nepal. My students are in China. The pay goes right into my American account. I just want to LIVE in Nepal. Thanks.

If the internet doesn't get you, the nepalis will! We'll talk about it in 5 months from now (provided you don't exit before fatal 150 days)! Best of luck.

Hi Lori,

Yes, what you want can be done.

The complainers about the internet are the people who either work from Internet Cafés or from home using the cheaper 'Consumer type' connections. These fail more often then not.

If you need a highly reliable internet connection, then this is available.
But... you will be paying through the nose for this, and to be assured of having a working internet connection most of the time (!) you will need to buy your own redundancy. Redundancy in internet paths is not something most ISPs are familiar with...

We have managed this kind of connectivity for ourselves, and are paying about US$ 250 per month for our internet connectivity. This includes internet connections to multiple ISPs, backup connection configurations, Corporate level SLA's, the whole works. It's expensive, but possible. And necessary if your business plan relies on a 24/7 availability of a high speed, high quality, low latency internet connectivity.

Now you know from an expert, Lori. So if you still want to plain LIVE in Nepal like you wrote, you can do it with premium quality internet. In terms of costs, good IT would therefore mean US$3,000 p.a. before living expenditures obviously of say + or - $18,000 p.a.
Some readers may think this figure is high, but one of the expat couples I know in Kathmandu have a 6 year child and they wanted to send him to the British School here. Tuition cost of that one item, alone, for the first year: $18,000
The China teaching connection you refer to would be a separate thing.

Hahahaha!!! Thanks, everyone!! Great information!!