The best apps for expats in Nepal

Hello,

We invite you to share information regarding some of the apps that have helped to facilitate your move abroad in Nepal. This will help expats-to-be who are making the move as well.

Which apps did you use while preparing your move to Nepal?

What apps do you use the most for your everyday life in Nepal: whether it's for transport, managing finances, general information, learning the language of your host country, leisure activities, etc.?

How does this technology help you in your everyday life as an expat?

Which apps would you recommend to expatriates in Nepal and why?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

You are right to bring up this question of Apps. In the travel business, for example, in the old days visitors who came to Nepal would come here with hardcover guidebooks like Lonely Planet. Nowadays apps are a growing market and replacing the guidebook. These days developers are turning out travel apps by the dozen and while I am no authority on the subject, those interested in that same field of travel might check out one app called Wolfmatrix. I hear it offers travel advice for those considering trekking to Everest, Annapurna Base Camp and Poonhill. There must be others too.
In another area, internet connectivity being so poor in Nepal, I think there'd be good interest in communications apps, companies with services like those offered by Viber, which in the US is a household name as a result of its association with Western Union. From there, I think I am right in saying that subscribers can even send money to 65 cities around the world. I hear Viber is potentially interested to work in Nepal but they don't have an office here. And if they have opened here, it is because in Nepal most users do not use international credit cards, which means they do not have access to Viber's premium services. Besides, here in Nepal, foreign exchange controls and the non convertibility are real obstacles to international anything, so here it's a totally different ball game for everyone really, and that includes "would be" expats that you are citing.