Do and don't in Venezuela

Are you living in Venezuela? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Venezuela?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Venezuela?

Thanks!

I live in Venezuela, if you want to come for a visit here, you will find friendly people, however there are places where you can be at danger, the cities have different places for poor people and for rich people, be sure where you want to go. Malls are safer places where to stay, go to movies, walk or meet people.
Any questions? please write your question here.

Where do you live in Venezuela?

CARACAS AND THE WHOLE COUNTRY IS NOT AS SAFE AS WE WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU BUT STILL YOU CAN LIVE IN PEACE WITH A COMMON SENSE ATTITUDE...

lwdwig wrote:

I live in Venezuela, if you want to come for a visit here, you will find friendly people, however there are places where you can be at danger, the cities have different places for poor people and for rich people, be sure where you want to go. Malls are safer places where to stay, go to movies, walk or meet people.
Any questions? please write your question here.

I WOULD ADD THAT IN VENEZUELA THERE IS NOT SUCH AN ONLY  "RICH AND POOR" AREAS. WE DO HAVE A LARGE VARIETY OF  ECONOMIC LEVELS -
DANGER IS ALMOST EVERYWHERE SO LOCAL PEOPLE AND VISITORS SHOULD  BE AWARE. CARACAS IS A 5 MILLION PEOPLE PLACE AND HAS A PARTICULAR POLITICAL SITUATION... JUST BE CAUTIOUS...DONT BE ALONE AT NIGHT...TRY TO KEEP YOUR EYES WIDE OPEN... BE AWARE AND ABOVE ALL, SMILE!!!!!!!!!

So; is the biggest danger from petty criminals looking to get money through criminal activity or are there political over tones to "dangerous situations" you speak of? I'm just curious because I am of the impression that political corruption, on both a federal and municipal level, might be more prevelant in Venezuela than say in North America. I may be wrong on that but you would certainly know if you live in the country.

For Asians that are going to move to this place beware of constant racism. As they refer to all Asians as "Chino" meaning Chinese or even "Cachichen" from a very racist telecom commercial. Also, beware of being constantly pulled over by "cops" (Thieves with Rights or Ladrones con derecho)  for no particular reason at all other than that youre Asian. Its a factor of racism not because of hate (but most time it is) but mostly because they want to get some money from you. Basically, they come up with some lame reason to pull you over and they wont let you go until you bribe them.

Well, I still got TONS more stories to tell.

Sometimes I feel Im the only Asian American livin gin this country and I would love to share many stories of the abuse, racism and so on. US embassy, we need your HELP!

oh I am so sorry of you feeling this way....I know it should be true. I also lived in Spain and even when they didnt tell me directly nasty things their laws and attitude were enough...

letŽs take care and try to be as happy as we can with what we are and have

I also live in venezuela, but not caracas, so im relatively less paranoid, but as others said theres danger everywhere. But is a welcoming place to every nationality. And to fred, im sorry u feel like theres racism toward asian people but if i may say something, asians in venezuela are very secluded, they dont mixed with us, and not even try to be friendly, i only know a few, just something for u to notice and think.

Hello all,
Well I have lived in merida for the past 12 months and have had no problems at all. Merida is super safe and the people have been so friendly and helpful, it does help that I am married to a venezuelan so I have his family too, which helps loads. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
From Catherine (probably the only Irish person living here hehe)

I have been here for 10 years and my first comment is that it is not a place to come too unless you are employed by a foreign multi-national and they take care of your needs such as housing and education for your children. It can be dangerous if you are in the wrong place or if you fail to be careful of your own safety. Venezuelans are lovely people but at the same time they have a high culture of expectation and will attempt to borrow money or items with no intension of paying them back because they believe so strongly in their excuses. My rule is to never loan, but give help (money)where it is needed. Regarding vacations there is little organized and perhaps Margarita is cheap enough for the elderly scandanavians to warm themselves from the cold winter months in Europe. Medical is good here and economical. My best senerio for a good vacation would be for a young man (not women unless accompanied) to come here with some spanish and catch buses and do cheap hotels roughing it around the country and telling local people that they are training to be a doctor when asked. (They will love you!)

jajajajajajaaj we just love doctors uh?

Carambaman wrote:

I have been here for 10 years and my first comment is that it is not a place to come too unless you are employed by a foreign multi-national and they take care of your needs such as housing and education for your children. It can be dangerous if you are in the wrong place or if you fail to be careful of your own safety. Venezuelans are lovely people but at the same time they have a high culture of expectation and will attempt to borrow money or items with no intension of paying them back because they believe so strongly in their excuses. My rule is to never loan, but give help (money)where it is needed. Regarding vacations there is little organized and perhaps Margarita is cheap enough for the elderly scandanavians to warm themselves from the cold winter months in Europe. Medical is good here and economical. My best senerio for a good vacation would be for a young man (not women unless accompanied) to come here with some spanish and catch buses and do cheap hotels roughing it around the country and telling local people that they are training to be a doctor when asked. (They will love you!)

Very intersting information .Thanks for your honesty.

fredgt28 wrote:

For Asians that are going to move to this place beware of constant racism. As they refer to all Asians as "Chino" meaning Chinese or even "Cachichen" from a very racist telecom commercial. Also, beware of being constantly pulled over by "cops" (Thieves with Rights or Ladrones con derecho)  for no particular reason at all other than that youre Asian. Its a factor of racism not because of hate (but most time it is) but mostly because they want to get some money from you. Basically, they come up with some lame reason to pull you over and they wont let you go until you bribe them.

Well, I still got TONS more stories to tell.

Sometimes I feel Im the only Asian American livin gin this country and I would love to share many stories of the abuse, racism and so on. US embassy, we need your HELP!

Asians are nice people specially indians :)

Hi people, I'm not expatriate but Venezuelan. I'm kind of noisy and decided to take a look to this thread and believe me I got astonished when I read the Asian racism post :/

This is a lot weird to me, as in this country racism is something so non-important. I don't know what your experiences on this area are and I'm sorry some people have made you felt unimportant; but it still does sound weird to me.

As my intuition goes, Venezuelans tend to call Chinese people "Chino" because on the western side of the country near Colombia they tend to call "Chino" all kids that have slanty eyes. I think it's originary from Colombia.

Ah, thank god this planet is just a tiny part of the universe... why bother thinking there are different countries?

Map divisions are in mind and maps... not in reality. Good luck to all of you ;)

Venezuelans are make up of all colors.
In the lower class area,the lower class people call each other by their looks.
But, they call asians ," Chinos " the most.
They just can not stop, and they have to say somthing even they do not have to.
It is ok sometimes,but sometimes is just annoying.
I am enjoy living here.Beautiful women and the best is the weather.
When Venezuelanos become more worldly ,they will behave better.
Enjoy  !!!

I agree.
Especially the lower educated class.
They call each other by their looks.
Of  course they see an Asian,they will ask,"Where are you come from

The lower educated class people ,they will call an Asian "Chino".
If you tell them," I am Korean".They do not understand where is Korea.So, they say, "ok ,"Chino."
Ha, Ha, Ha.Then I say," You are a Moreno." They do not anything.
They  do not feel offended.Ha, Ha, ha.

venezuelans are known to call everyone a nickname, gordo or gorda, even though u may not be fat, flaca o flaco, even though u may not be thin, all foreigners are gringos without destinction and so on jejejeje. Its not offesinve.

calling people by their looks or nationalities is rude.
When the Venezuelans become more worldly,they will understand.

I have being living here for 14 years.
I am still get annoyed sometime.
One lady lawyer helped me with the problem with my apartment.
She did not know what is the differences between a water tap to a water pressure valve.Then again,I told her smell came from the drain is CO2,HS and ammonia gas.She knows none of these.
Then, today.I gave one lawyer the date, airline and flight #.
And he wants to know the hour.

Hi there, I have a job offer with an oil company in a city called Maturin.. Can you give me or refer me to any website where I can know practically how is the city looks like?? How big, is it a major city, how far from major cities, is there's international schooling, are there any expats, does it fit living of expats

Hi, I have never been to Maturin.
I know is one of the major city.Just be very careful about who you are going to meet and where to hang out.
The locals will act like helping you,but,he is only thinking how to benefit himself.He will not care less if you can get hurt.
You can live well with the income of US money.Just do not show it,and always cry no money,broke.If they know they can not get money from you, they will just go a way.May be they will never  talk to you again.Ha ha.
Schooling, I do not know.But, we have a lot of holidays here.And the teachers are paid very tiny.
Experineces worth money.

I agree with you.  I lived in Venezuela for many years and I know how racist some peple were toward Asian because of ignorance.  How sad.  I loved that country.  It had so much to offer but all that was good was gone with the ways those people were running the country.

Yes, it sounds like you are living in Vez. indeed.

Asians beware when passing through Caracas international airport.
The Venezuelan airport officials will round up "Chinos " for bull shit fines !!!!
It is shameful that China can not protect her own citizens.
In the mean time, China is helping Venezuela with many projects;China also loaning Billions and billions of dollars to Venezuela !!!

Dear Members,

Can we please keep the discussion on sharing a list of the do's and don't's in Venezuela.

In other words it means the things that you are allow to do and things that you are not allow to do due to local customs or inside laws.

Thank you for your understanding.

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Local custom is everybody can be your boss;They think you do not know ,so,they tell you any ways just to play with you.
Laws are ;everybody can make up their own law;just to confuse you and take advantages of you.
Sorry, I am telling my experience.
Asians do not come here if you do not have to.Please.

Hi warmsurfer,

Glad you sharing your experience here but so far it's only the negative side of Venezuela. Can you be neutral and share the positive good experiences as well.. There must be some good one ;)

It would be really nice to read some nice story or nice information too. It will bring a balance in the discussion :)

I'm sure you understand what I mean :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

The weather is beautiful.One sunny day after another.
Seafoods and veggies are fresh and abundant.
The beaches are nice and beers are cold.
Of course there are always good people and bad people in any part of the world.
My good friend in Venezuela told me,"You had bad luck,you met some bad people."
My experience was my own experience.
I am not here to offense anybody.If I do ,please forgive.

Venezuela is one of the few countries in which racism hardly exists. Venezuela has a very friendly populace - wonderful people. You might find it difficult to adjust to their culture in the beginning (especially if you are an African). Am at your service if you have any specific question.

I have been in Venezuela for the past 18 months and can hardly believe some of the comments I am reading here. If there is a culture in the world that is color blind, its name is Venezuela.  Maybe the people that are misconstruing and maliciously misrepresenting the people in this country, maybe, need to learn a little spanish.
Venezuelans are by far, the most courteous people, taken as a whole, that I have found. 
When entering an elevator:  EVERYONE says good morning, when leaving one, everyone says a word.  I had a minor fender bender at a gasoline station yesterday, entirely my fault.  I got out of the car, said so, the guy looked at his car, said "no harm, no problem'.  I see this day in, day out.
This weekend I drove 2000 Kms.  My itinerary was Caracas-Barcelona-Cumana-Maturin-Ciudad Guayana-Puerto Ordaz(slept there)Guri-Ciudad Bolivar-Caicara del Orinoco-Cabruta (by ferry)-Las Mercedes del Llano-Cua-Caracas.  To a person, EVERYONE was courteous, helpful, pleasant to an old man who a) was a foreigner (my accent) and b) was asking for directions......
There are issues here like in any third world country (which by the way includes most if not all of Asia), abject poverty, criminality, but one thing is for sure, this is a country blessed with wonderful natural resources and doubly blessed by a people who, past political differences, are a happy people with no evil in their heart towards anyone.
To those that say 'you should not have nicknames regarding how you look', I would say "get a life".  When there is no racism in one's mind, nicknames are nicknames.  I have a cousin and a sister, both are darker than the rest of us, their nicknames? "negro" and "negra".  My dad's best friend, 'Chino', why, well, for one thing, he is Chinese.....

Do: Talk to people
Don't: go to low life bars in bad neighborhoods
Do: Go out in the country
Don't: Drive at night.  It is not the criminals, it is the POT HOLES.
Do:  Have an AREPA....you'll have more
Don't: BE CHEAP WITH YOUR TIPS

[Moderated: off topic]

About the racism part...
I call my little brother "negro"... he is just brown skinned
... nowhere near black, he is just the darkest of all of us (and not even by much.

Eventually, with the pass of time, the nickname got "attached" to my mom.  For all intensive purposes you could say she is white, she has a lighter skin than all by fall (she doesn't spend much time outside).  We still call her "negra" as an affectionate nickname.

We got a cousin who we call "chino".  HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY ASIAN HERITAGE AT ALL. Why would we call him"chino" if he has no asian heritage?  He has some native indian heritage that makes his eyes look "a little bit" smaller and slightly (very slightly) squinted.  So he is "el chino" y "la china".  I actually spent most of my childhood calling him "El chino" and I didn't learn his real name until I was well in my teens.

My brothers used to call me "la bemba" because of my big lips, I really never liked it but I eventually got used to it (when I grew older and it actually became an attractive feature, or so people tells me).

A nickname could be uncomfortable but it does mean that people care enough to pay attention to you and make you part of the group.  I have a friend that I can "sadico" as a nickname... what does that mean? "sadist" (actually it is more like "pervert" for us), he loves his nickname

It was a beautiful day.
I was sharing a lunch table on the beach with a VZ family.Then the racial part came up from no where.The little daughter told her father that she was whiter than him.
Then the mother told the daughter that she is like an India.
See ,they are not happy because they are not white........................................................or they are just  racial conscious at all times.

@warmsurfer > this is an old thread and you are off topic. The initial subject of this thread is Do and don't in Venezuela. Thank you

Do,Enjoy the beautiful place!
Don't call out to people you do not know ! :)