The real risk of visiting Venezuela

Hi

I'm from Arizona and will be traveling to Venezuela to visit friends for a little vacation. As I'm sure most of you know there's a lot of online information telling people they should not go to Venezuela. As I mentioned I have friends there and I won't be running around unknown areas. With that said I was hoping for some feedback from other Americans as far as what are the real risk of visiting Venezuela.

Thanks

Jack

No North Americans  go there, and very few Euros..unless you work for Chevron and you really pizzed your boss off recently

I have a girlfriend form there and I wouldnt risk going there

Note that  flying there is difficult, your best way is with COPA throgh PTY, and the COPA Caracas or COPA Valencia leg is really, realy expensive.and the whole ground  transportation system can be shut down due to a gasoline shortage, water service, electrical service shut down, and very few companies will give you medical insurance for travelling there

How hard is it to get a visitors visa? How long did it take?

Have you even tried?

I sure hope you arent thinking of flying to Colombia and going via "Los Trochas" because that will mean a long time in a cockroach and rat  infested Venezuelan jail, as quite a few Gringos and Euros have found out trying to visit their GFs family in this manner.

The Cops and Ejercito in Venezuela are quite corrupt and agreessive and will be checking your papers every day., some even looking for "vacuna" (payback). They are not generally  friendly ,laid back and helpful like in Colombia

@nico peligro yes I'm familiar with some of the things you mentioned. However I will have a Visa. Going to Mexico City in order to apply through the Venezuelan Embassy there. Then once I get that Visa I will fly from Arizona to Mexico City the Mexico City to Panama and then directly to Maracaibo. My friends will be picking me up at Maracabo Airport. They have cars gas water as they live pretty  good. So I'm following all the rules and I'm definitely not going to be roaming around by myself

Hi

I'm from Arizona and will be traveling to Venezuela to visit friends for a little vacation. As I'm sure most of you know there's a lot of online information telling people they should not go to Venezuela. As I mentioned I have friends there and I won't be running around unknown areas. With that said I was hoping for some feedback from other Americans as far as what are the real risk of visiting Venezuela.
Thanks
Jack
-@jcjc5555

Scrap your plans

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … isory.html

The US is trying to overthrow the government so you can't expect a warm welcome from officials.

The rights and wrongs of politics is another topic.

I wouldnt listen to state department warnings..lf you followed them you would stay in your basement

Still the ops plans are very convulated and costly. THe PTY to Maracaibo leg will be very expensive.

And Maracaibo is a Hot, dirty boring city and you dont walk around there at night , and not during the day either due to the heat.

I would be interested to know how easy its gonna be for a Gringo to get a Venezuelan Visa in DF.

it takes 6 months for the Venezuela to give their own citizens passports, and thats after paying a $100 bribe.

I know, I worked for Chevron for a stretch 15 years ago.